HBO: True Blood

EricMontreal22

• Members

I thought you'd be proud!

The things is... With Ball and Weiner... They are trying to make British shows à la American. They're so hard trying to be different, thought-provoking, stylised, it all becomes just an empty mannerism with no soul.

• Replies 715
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Hahah well I just hope you're nicer to your friends than he is ;) I do vaguely remember him on Home and Away when we got it in afternoons for a year in Canada.

Oh one thing I didn't get about ep 3--at the vampire's nest they said someone (I forget her name) was so upse tby the whole Hep D mess that she made the ultimate sacrifice--and they showed her upside down being drained of blood. At first i thought she was a vamp--but now I assume she was a human (one who maybe/probably came to them with Jamie or whoever the latino gay human with the hep D was? or am I missing something?

I can't wait for them to show Eric, who they mentioned and I know is a major character in the books. Played by Alexander Skarsgard who apparantly is the most voted "sexiest man in Sweden" lol :rolleyes:

The directing team is quite solid--Ball did the pilot, but ep two was by Scott Winant who I've admired as a tv director ever since My So-Called Life--and ep three was directed by John Dahl probably most famous for his critically lauded neo-film noir The Last Seduction

• Members

Well I don't want Cat to be jealous ;)

I thought you liked Mad Men more than that? I know Steve's a massive SFU fan but I know youw eren't--and as big a fan as I am I agree with some of your criticism--it just bugs me less (the symbolism, often being obvious). I guess we'll haev to agree to disagree but I wouldn't mind you explainign something more--what do you mean they're trying to make tv similar to how the Brits do? I don't get it (unles syou mean stuff outside the network approved norms much like many UK show shave been lauded to for years--but I'd say that's more a mandate of HBO/F/X than them specifically)

• Members

Janella, the woman with Jerry was human. I got the impression that both her & Jerry were fangbangers. When they found out that Jerry had Hep d, I think the Trio got angry and just decided to kill Janella. I think they were just being evil and killed Janella. She was most definitely human.

• Members

The sex has driven my mother away from the show. I liked this last episode better than the others but am not convinced it is a great show.

Is the guy who owns the restaurant a werewolf? He seems to have this smelling thing going on, kinda like Oz did on Buffy.

• Members

I'm avoiding spoilers because too many people know the book but yeah I'm sure there's some dog/wolf connection--they've made it almsot too obvious (he's friends with that dog who watches Sookie, they cut to a weird painting when he was tlakign to Sookie of a wolf protecting a little girl, and he barks in his sleep).

I could see the sex driving my mom away too (and she'd prob like the show otherwise) so I wouldn't veen suggest it to her--I know HBo has wanted to up the sex quotient of their shows to compete with Showtime and even F/X and for the most part i think it suits the show--which is largely about sex, but yeah...

I thought the ep was great--but I'm pretty sold on the show. I kinda agree about Eric--the casting was fairly big news as he's a Swedish superstar (voted Sexiest Man in Sweden like 5 times or something) but he almost looks too soft or pretty to me--we'll see.

• Members

I just caught this show on vacation last week and I gotta say.....loved it! My partner and I were so tired in the hotel room from a long day of driving, but we just couldn't turn off the TV.

Since we don't get HBO at home, I guess we're just gonna have to wait for the DVDs to come out, but when they do...we will be buying them.

• Members

I am loving Jason & Tara.

Sookie & The Dark brooding Vampire are also a lot less annoying now. I dont know why, but they are. I still dont like them, but i dont hate them either. So thats a plus.

I didnt see the grandma being killed coming at all!

And IMHO, the bartender is a wolf/dog is way to obvious.

• Members

Yep that's why I think there's another twist to the bartender/Sam's identity--because it is too obvious. ANd yes that death at the end has me pretty upset :( Maybe they can make her a vamp (anyone who's read the books please don't say anything:P )

This episode cemented my love for the show. Great stuff--I even really loved the Cold Mountain meets Anne Rice backstory/flashbacks--loved the look they gave them.

Greg you know there are other ways to watch it without having HBO (which we don't get in Canada ) ;)

• Members

Last night was pretty good, although all that blood Sookie was cleaning up was horrible. Uncle Bartlett looks like trouble. I like Sam and Tara together. I wonder if there is a literal demon in Tara's mother. Tara never should have gone back home to her. I don't think it's going to end well.

Archived