ALL: How much longer will you endure?

• Members

I'm completely soap free. I quit AMC when Bianca left and OLTL when Evangeline left. I did exactly what you did with AMC/Jesse&Angie. I popped back in and out but I can't get back in the habit. I'm not willing to watch a show I have to FF through 75% of.

As for OLTL the last full ep I watched was Asa's funeral and then one show when I was drunk in an airport bar. The funeral episode is what made me decide that I'd never watch again. Dan G. and Nathan Fillion were a nice way to stay goodbye. Anything I want to see I can catch on YouTube. If the rumor that DG is returning short-term is true, I may spend a little more time on YouTube but, AFAIC, it's pointless to consider returning to ABC soaps until Frons is gone. That's the only thing that would give me any hope.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I said I'd never stop watching ATWT, but I'm not longer watching that piece of catshyt. There is only so much a person can take and that show had done me in. If Y&R doesn't drastically improve with Hogan, I'm done. I want real Y&R and Jess Walton isn't enough. She needs her OWN story, not Gloria's. She needs her family back, not more family for Gloria, And they need to fix the entire canvas as well.

• Members

It can't be another Clear Springs style explosion. The show can't sustain that.

What the show might be able to sustain...I doubt they will do this...is if in August Cassie or John wake up, and realize the time since their "deaths" has all been a dream. That is CHEAP, but it is one of the few ways to truly repair the show.

• Members

I'm the same way

I take breaks here and there but I never stop watching soaps completely... I follow spoilers and sometimes watch clips via YouTube. And there always seems to a be a soap that pulls me in with a certain story

• Members

QUOTE (Chris B @ Jul 1 2008, 02:16 PM)
There is only so much a person can take and that show had done me in.

As Chris said - there is only so much a person can take. I find nothing to look forward to, it's just one endless doom, cr*p, one terrible story after the other, one terrible head writer after another... They are totally sucking out the remaining positivity I felt towards them.

The problem is that, yes, B&B will probably be good again and then it will slip further down. I hate Brooke, I hate Stephanie, I cannot stand Ridge, Eric is a bore, Felicia has had no significant storyline in a looong time, Taylor is destroyed beyond repair.

The whole way of thinking about these soaps needs to change. And the executives who run them.

Why would I watch something that frustrates me and takes away my valuable spare time?

• Members

Sadly, I cannot reassure you on B&B. My emotional ties to the show weaken by the day. I think I'm realizing that the gradual sunsetting of Flannery is cutting my primary emotional tie to the show.

I believe that Lesli Kay COULD be her heiress-apparent, but for whatever reason they are choosing not to do this.

Bill Bell completely remade Y&R in the early 80s, ushering the Brooks/Foster families off canvas, and bringing in the Abbott/Williams clans plus Victor Newman. The show never missed a beat.

Most shows that have tried this wholesale re-invention have failed, though. (JFP's Rappaport clan on OLTL; Monty's Eckert clan on GH).

But I simply cannot fathom a bit of interest in Brooke or Ridge. Their whole arc is premised on youthful idealism about fate...and it doesn't play for characters pushing 50 and 60. I see no way to re-fashion them into true senior show matriarch/patriarch.

I think Taylor COULD return to the sensible emotional core of the show, but only if she is again written as wise. Then, with three younger generation members under her direction, she could be a classic matriarch. I would enjoy that.

On the Forrester side, Lesli Kay is the ONLY one I would keep...seriously the only one.

I personally love both Heather Tom and Eileen Davidson, but not even they keep my attention. Davidson clearly must go to Y&R (and that's obviously in progress). Tom (IMO) must return to Victoria Newman. I think they should do a swap, and give Katie to Amelia Heinle. I must confess, though, this is simply because I don't care about Katie (but I do about Victoria).

• Members

Very interesting subject. There was one time when I quit watching GL when Beth married Alan. Now, it's like I can't help but to watch because I feel sorry for the show. It's such a hot mess right now with this new production model. I even feel bad for the actors bless their heart.

There was a time when I quit watching DAYS during James E. Reilly's reign (Part 2). There was an Austin/Carrie scene and they were at some seafood restaurant (perhaps in Baltimore - I can't remember right now) and they were naming lobsters after each other. Then, I remember Austin brought up that the lobsters were going to be eaten and Carrie wanted to save the lobsters. I swear, I just wanted to puke all over the place. So yeah ... I quit DAYS at that time and I started watching DAYS again when Sheffer started his material.

Quit Passions once they went to DirectTV. I tried a couple of times, but I just couldn't get into it.

Oh yeah ... there was that one time when I VOWED I would never watch GL when they killed off Maureen Bauer. I tried watching GH, but there was that passion and love that I had for Guiding Light. So a week later, I started watching GL again because the early 90's for GL were absolutely classic in my opinion. Too bad you can't say the same thing now.

• Members

I can put up with a lot. Only when a soap gets REALLY bad will I stop watching. I stopped watching AMC from August 2006 to March 2007 because I could not put up with McTrash's crap anymore.

I stopped watching GL last summer, I could not put up with it any longer. I only turn it on as background noise now when I'm at home for laughs.

However, I could put up with LML's stuff last summer. For some reason, it never really bothered me that much like it did to others.

• Members

I only expect my favorite soap (ATWT) to be around for 2 more years, 5 years tops. I will stick around to the end and enjoy the parts of the show that are still worth enjoying, though admittedly it ain't what it used to be even 10 years ago.

After that I'm sure I will check up on B&B when I can, probably just a few times a month.

• Members

With DAYS, I'll watch until the end. I've put too many years to break the habit of watching the show. Currently, I hate the show and it completely bores me, but it's always on my television at 3 PM. It's habit, but it's also me just hoping that Corday can wise up once again and boot Higley out of there. There's always hope.

With the other shows, I can come and go. I had a hard time not watching Y&R last fall. But I realized that not watching would be the way to correct the problem and surprisingly it did. LML was out. Unforunately, Maria Arena Bell and her team aren't much better and I still haven't returned to watching full time. I'm just bored. It's very unrecognizable to me. I'm definitely going to give it a show once Hogan comes onboard, just because I loved his writing on DAYS and I want to see how he does on Y&R.

With GH, I only watch duing sweeps and then usually afterwards, the show loses my interest. That's just how our relationship works. But lately, they haven't been able to even grab me for sweeps. I think the last time I watched GH and was serious about watching was last Feburary during the Metro Court storyline.

Archived