ATWT: Week of May 19th Discussion

• Members

Well atleast today's show had a tee bit of action, still mostly contrived, but alteast woke me up somewhat during watching.

As usaul for me the Janet and Liberty crap along side Brad and Katie did nothing for me, though I did find Janet slapping Liberty a bit interesting and a bit disturbing at the same time. Brad and Katie at the movies, sorry don't care.

I like Libertiy's little boyfriend, more then I like Liberty and Janet, he can stick around and be part of the teen scene :P

Holden/Carly/Lily/Jack- I don't even know what to say anymore so just :rolleyes:

And the dance how lame, but they still got more then Luke, Maddie, Kevin got for prom :angry:

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I actually really enjoyed today. I thought it came together well, for the most part. The Janet/Liberty scene at the end rocked--kudos to the casting of Meredith Hagner as Liberty, I think she's got talent and SOOO makes sense as the love child of the characters.

Kate in the more calm non-drama role I am liking, biting her tongue and letting Brad figure some of it out. Switch of roles to me at least, and it works.

I agree, the Lily thing SOO came out of no where---and also puts a cramp on whatever is happening with Carly and Holden, which I also like.

Tomorrow seems like nothing but FF for me in the Nuke storyline

• Members

I keep waiting for some explanation about why Winston GAS and took Ameera. Today's theory...he wants to sell her to white slave traders.

Katie...STFU. On one hand, I enjoy her misery. On the other, I want someone to cut her tongue out every time she professes to taking the high road, only to turn around and return to her childishly bitchy self.

I think I adore Janet.

Holden: another one who needs to STFU.

It was at least nice seeing PsychedelicCarly and Jack being nice to each other.

• Members

If you don't watch Friday's show you will miss the biggest storyline re-write in years, LOL. The Winston/Amerra/Luke/Noah stuff was strange to say the least. And even worse they start a location shoot on Friday, and who knows when it continues, must be CG and his instincts at works again. :rolleyes:

Katie/Brad/Janet/Liberty: Why are these characters on like everyday? Is there even a story? Filler?

Holden/Carly/Lily/Jack- Much like the other day: :rolleyes: And why do I get a feeling this is all a contrived plot device to just give Lily a house of all things. There are much better storylines CG and JP could have wrote to get that done.

Henry and Vienna was ok I guess, LOL.

Only good thing about the show was there were lots of characters, to bad there storylines all but suck.

• Members

OMG...now that you say that, I remember the entire Ameera plot was written during the strike. Obviously, TIIC are torching now the quickest way possible.

I'm actually very ok with less than a dozen people calling Emma's "home". :D

• Members

See I think all the ATWT fans have stopped caring about Luke and Noah. Only the hard core fans are still watching. The numbers for ATWT are horrible.

I think the actresses who play Janet and Liberty can act. But I just hate their characters. Top that off with me not caring for Brad or Katie. So why should I watch???

The Holden/Carly/Lily/Jack storyline is so contrived. Seriously, Holden is falling for Carly???? GMAB GOUTMAN!!!!!!! Carly is ten million times worse at keeping secrets than Lily is. What a joke!! Does Goutman think we are stupid?? So why should I watch this storyline too? Just put Carly with Jack and have them an adventure story with romance. Instead of this crap!!

I've never cared for Henry or Vienna....Next!!

So that sums up why I havent seen ATWT the last two days. Geez...you would think P&G would start making waves and fire Pissant and Goutman.

• Members

I think the fans have stopped caring about a lot of the characters. I do wonder where all the Nuke fans are, since I was assured that "plenty" of Nuke fans were watching the show, not just catching up at youtube.

I'm sure there's a part of Holden that sees Carly's compassion and is attracted to her better qualities. The other 99% of him (that usually runs to the nearest bad girl when he's "moving on" from Lily), located south of his belt buckle, sees a hot blonde. Of course you're right...it makes no sense that Holden would jump to Carly, given her history of bending the truth into multi-knotted pretzels. I agree Holden needs a creative jumpstart...but this is like cannabalism.

I love Henry...I tolerate Vienna. I really don't understand why they are consistantly underused. Other than the fact that Goutman's pet "fun" couple is obviously Katie and Brad, and H&V just live to kiss Katie's ass.

• Members

Holden did fall for Julia 2.0 who was manipulative and bitchy so there is a part of him attracted to the bad girl. I can see Holden being attracted and tempted by Carly. She can be very sweet and compassion with her friends.

• Members

The romance with Julia2.0 was so short-lived...yeah, she was manipulative and bitchy, but she was never that way with him. He totally saw her as the wronged woman who gave up her life to love Jack and got dumped for it.

• Members

My read on Nuke fans is this: They ARE happy that the relationship is being portrayed more naturally and authentically now...in terms of low level affection and clear expressions of desire.

But that puts into resolution how far the real story (Col. Phobe, jail breaks, planted Iraqi girls) is from the story that people want to see...a simple romance.

I think if the show has finally gotten past artificial obstacles to tell a real story (see "Brothers and Sisters" for an example), the viewers will FLOCK. There is enormous affection for Nuke...the actors and the characters have burned no bridges. There is just a strong feeling that the writing has let them down. But there is a huge constituency monitoring every twist and turn in this story. So if the story ever gets GOOD....the viewers WILL come.

I'm optimistic, given what we're seeing on screen, that P&G is letting go of the censorship stranglehold a little. With that being the case, if the story reflects the new and less restrictive context, I expect viewers will flock.

Dramatically, I think it is important for them to break up Nuke soon, so that Luke can be thunderstruck when he meets the real love of his life...in a much more mature and less silly relationship.

Noah is more screwed up. If they keep him on canvas, I'd like to see him make a succession of terrible relationship choices...kind of like being the successor to Gwen.

• Members

Soapsuds, don't be so pessimistic. I have hope that one day Luke will be rid of boring Noah.

The crux of ATWT's problems is bad storytelling and catering to any one fanbase isn't going to remedy that situation. I am constantly amazed by Goutman's poor decisions. Why have Katie marry Brad so quickly when Janet and Liberty were on the way? Brad should be drawn to Janet causing Katie to finally realize that she loves him and fight for him. Bringing back Mike was not a bad idea, but instead of his sole purpose should not be an obstacle for Paul and Meg who are beyond played out. Mike should be in Carly and Jack's storyline. It is far more believable that Carly and Mike's old feelings for each other could resurface than Carly developing feelings for Holden and vice versa.

But there are some good things though not enough. This Vienna/Henry/Bonnie story shows promise. I find Emily and Casey distasteful, but the story is good because it has the potential to flare the Stewart/Hughes feud. Yet, Casey doesn't have an appropriate love interest waiting for him as summer picks up steam. Either hire a new actress to play a new character or better yet recast Maddie if the original actress won't return.

Archived