Dynasty Discussion Thread

• Members

Speaking of Ben, how do you all feel about the across the pond casting of siblings? For some reason I buy Sable and Frankie a lot easier than I do Blake and Ben. Ben's been living in Australia (sort of like Carmen Duncan's Iris has been living in England), and Sable was raised in England with their mother while Frankie was raised in California with their father. Maybe I'll feel differently when I get there in my current rewatch, but I've never quite suspended my disbelief of the Carrington brothers.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

And why doesn't his daughter Leslie have an accent? (still waiting on the resolution of what happened to her after the S8 finale).

And why does Dominique take the time to learn that Alexis is prone to seasickness, but knows nothing about her brother Ben?

It is just a totally unnecessary retcon to make Ben a brother, and not be creative enough to find some other backstory. 

Edited by j swift

• Members

Blake and Ben being siblings is hard to swallow, isn't it, lol?  Like you said, @SFK, you can buy Frankie and Sable as sisters, because at least they took the time to explain (or explain away) the difference in their accents.  But I don't recall them ever explaining Ben's accent, or even Adam's.  (Billings, Montana, my ass, lol).

That's one of my many problems with DYNASTY.  Characters either died ugly deaths (Claudia!) or simply disappeared without explanation or further mention.  No one on that show ever just left town.  (Well, aside from Krystle, lol).

• Members

Ben and Blake being brothers was ridiculous. John Forsythe was old enough to be his father. And the actor who played him was British as opposed to Australian so there were multiple accent issues.

I never bought Frankie and Sable as siblings either. Raised across the pond from each other? Were the writers watching The Parent Trap?

• Members

I'm seven episodes into season 4 of my rewatch. Joseph, we hardly knew ye! His scenes with Alexis were some of the best, I wish we'd had more. Burning through a primetime soap, I'm really feeling the lack of the luxury of time afforded to its daytime counterparts. I look at characters like Joseph and Cecil and think, "Wow, so that's really it?"

Hats off to Gordon Thomson. Adam is a total creep and Gordon sells the hell out of it.

I find myself wondering where I created this false memory of Blake the teddy bear when he's a total dick. It must be the Blake of later seasons mixed with warm John Forsythe interviews.

I don't think I ever thought much of Kirby, but there are moments where I find Kathleen Beller quite compelling. And oof, her desperate plan to have herself thrown off a horse was particularly tough to witness.

I'm so glad that Claudia wasn't a casualty of the season 1 purge. Even with her extended absences, she grounds the show in a way whenever she returns. I'm two catfights in at this point, but I don't think I'd ever seen Claudia backhand Sammy Jo, Sammy Jo slap her back, and Claudia close the paragraph by slapping Sammy Jo again. I hooted.

• 2 weeks later...