Santa Barbara Discussion Thread

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I'd say he helped most by bringing the Lockridges back to the forefront- Lionel, Augusta, and Laken all returned in what turned out to be one of SB's funniest sequences of all-time. I think he tried at least to bring Keith Timmons back, though Justin Deas wouldn't return. John Novak was adequate, but never spectacular. I also liked that he put Kelly at the center of the show again, as not many remember, but Marcy Walker did a pilot for CBS in 1990 (I think with Lindsay Wagner and that chick from "Don't Tell Mom the Babysitter's Dead") called "Bar Girls" about 3 female lawyers. It was a far better show than "Palace Guard" and while it would have been tough losing Marcy, at least she'd have never had the horrendous exit that she did. Anyhow- back to Kelly. Carrington Garland actually appeared more than Marcy Walker in 1990 and became quite popular with the fans. We loved the Nikki/Cruz/Eden/Robert/Kelly quad just as we did the Craig/Kelly/Robert triangle, and finally, the whole Robert/Kelly/Quinn/Flame mess. The rivalry between Kelly & Eden was quite organic, as Eden had always gotten the most attenition from her father, even moreson than Kelly (really though, it was the boys, Ted and Mason, that got the short end of the stick). Plus, he brought on Roberta Bizeau as Flame Beaufort, who was a breath of fresh air in herself. There's never been an actress like her before or since. She's what the press would like to believe Michelle Stafford was/is (both in the beginning & now). Case in point:

• Members

The production values were lavish and rich- the show never looked as plush as it did under Conboy, that's for certain. My only complaints is that he re-did the Lockridge house and the Capwell Mansion, right down to the infamous large wooden doors at the entrance, the fountain in the foyer, and the infamous set of stairs that led up to CC's room

• Members

I LOATHED the Capwell mansion re-design. The original set looked very "California" looking while the white everywhere in the redesign looked like the inner aspects of a hospital. Ick.

But the focus on CG/Kelly during MW's break was a good part, as I did like CG as Kelly a lot. Julia and Mason were my ULTIMATE faves, separately and together, but CG as Kelly was another. And it is now *21* years after the fact and I'm still livid that she got the boot for ED, who sucked in the role. The Dobsons really screwed up during Round 2. And I'm almost kinda glad - MINUS the great last Capwell Dinner - they got the boot, since their plans sounded horrific. (Mason/Katrina? Yuck x 1,000! GT looked like Mariah Ellingsen's [Katrina] father.)

Edited by Wendy

• Members

Oh God, Flame was a delight. When Roscoe Born left they didn't quite know what to do with her so she ended up with Frank Runyeon's Michael character, and they had sparks too. Then she was gone, and he didn't last too much longer.

Some of the 1989-90 characters were so exciting to watch.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

That was Robert Barr, as played by Roscoe Born. At that point in the story, his twin brother Quinn (also played by Born) and his accomplice Flame (played by the fierce Roberta Bizeau-Weiss) had kidnapped Robert (the man behind bars) and imprisoned him in the basement of Quinn/Flame's house. That scene is the first time that "Debra London" (who is the character Bizeau was introduced as) strips off her "Debra London" outfit to reveal a smokin body, fiery, wild blonde hair, and some sexyass, risque lingerie that just barely covers her up. It was pretty edgy for the times and directed at a demographic not many soaps were actively writing for but SB was: Men of Any Age. I think if we went back and looked at the demographics behind SB's numbers, I'd bet money that it was at least in the top 5 for male viewers both 18-25 and 25-54. I'm pretty certain of it and would kill to see those press releases from the late 80s/early 90s and whether they prove my theory correct.

PART 20:

https://www.youtube....h?v=oVkymoUHjvc

Edited by juniorz1

• Members

Awesome, so sultry and cool, totally of the time. I have to say, those sets are HUGE, Flame's apartment is so cool. Conboy's Clegg set on Capitol was also huge (all black and white) so it's no surprise that he'd put his stamp on the new predominantly white Capwell set (which was huge and intricate even before he redid it... those blue and white tile stairs, my God, I wonder how many actors almost fell on their ass running up and down those things).

• Members

Thanks for keeping that going.

I don't want to add more videos to the page but someone is uploading the Joe/Kelly story from the start. If anyone wants the link I'll send it.

(I must say that it's marred by some horribly OTT acting and staging - less said about Joe's father and Peter Flint the better - but I do like Dane Witherspoon and Robin Wright, I even like hearing that song 5000 times, and I like the early stages of psycho Augusta and Dominic).

Why did Augusta want Joe dead?