Santa Barbara Discussion Thread

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I don't mind Justin Deas when he provides a subtle performance and isn't chewing scenery. From what little I've seen on RH and ATWT, he was a solid actor. He had great comedic timing during his time on SB. It wasn't until GL where I couldn't take him as Buzz. I think that the fact he was brought in and Ellen Parker (Maureen) was tossed out tarnishes him for me too. However, the Buzz character had his moments on GL where I enjoyed him. When he was opposite Jenna and Nadine, he was fine. After the 2 of them were killed, Buzz could've been killed off GL too. Going into the new millennium, we did not need Buzz. I feel like he could've been written off with Jenna when she was killed off. They could've implanted him in the car with Jeffery and Jenna. I would've been fine with it at that point. Plus, Harley and Frank didn't really need parental figures. They were well established by then, and the 2 character were established before their parents started popping up on the show back in the late 80s. 

I do agree that he has stellar chemistry with Robin Mattson. It seems after Keith left the show that Gina somewhat was lost in the shuffle, and the writers had no idea what to do with her the final years of the show. 

• Members

Oh I don't disagree re: Buzz. He could be hammy, no doubt. But when he's on, there are few actors who are better. (I gotta say I wasn't a Buzz/Jenna fan, but GL was becoming so terrible around that time, and they really dulled Jenna's early edge to force that pairing.) I had very little use for the Coopers except Harley after they killed off Nadine.

Weirdly, I have only enjoyed Robin in the clips I've seen of her as Gina. Haaaated her as Janet, and I couldn't be bothered with Heather (her early GH years pre-dated me). But she is so much fun as Gina, and she and JD had such snap as a couple.

• Members

I didn't mind RM as Janet. I just felt that Janet long overstayed her welcome given the long list of crimes she committed. I found it unbelievable she'd be able to walk the streets of Pine Valley given her wrap sheet. I did appreciate that the character did use to give hell to Trevor--a character I could not stand. 

I do think that the roles that defined RM and JD will be their roles on SB. Again, it just sucks (from what I've seen) that the writers lost passion for Gina after Keith left. 

• Members

I think Gina was almost a victim of her own success as part of "Keith and Gina". But then, on SB, that could be true of any of the pairings. I mean, consider Julia. She had flings before Mason and tried to move on after she divorced Mason, but "Mason and Julia" endured, leading to marriage #2.

And we saw just how off track Cruz got post "Cruz and Eden". (In both cases, however, it can maybe be defended as being the latter twilight half of the show, and the better writers had departed.)

But back to Gina, same thing. Once Keith left, Gina floundered. And, unlike with Mason, who was successfully recast, John Novak as Keith bombed during a Round 2 with Gina and everyone else, so it just became "throw something at the wall and see if it sticks".

And not much did until Lionel. And even that, IMO, was less about success than giving both Nic Coster and Robin Mattson something to do with both Keith and Augusta out of the picture. (Lord knows Jack Wagner's iteration of Warren seemed to cast Lionel aside with the "reveal" (in the show's last gasp desperate days) that Warren was not Lionel's bio son, all so Crazy Cassie could be with him...and he went for Angela, instead. So, a waste for no reason.

• Members

Not to my knowledge, but Kelly was kidnapped by her ex-fiance, Peter Flint, on her honeymoon with Joe Perkins. He was seriously mentally unhinged and forced Kelly to have sex with him. She was sickened and guilt-ridden, due to being married by then to Joe. It was a gruesome part of the story, and an aspect they (and the audience) could have done without.

• Members

When the Dobsons were locked out of SB and especially when they returned in '91, Bridget Dobson complained repeatedly that SB had become "too violent." Truth is, it was always a violent show. Of course, it was also a genuinely funny show -- not cute or amusing but often funny -- especially when the Dobsons were away.

• Members

I agree that it was often funny.  I also contend that modern audiences would find most of the show to be anachronistic.  However, Eden's sexual assault is such an interesting media study because the production was so earnest in trying to be socially responsible and yet was so tone deaf at the same time.   

One last aside, I find it amusing that once JAN's Warren decides to buy the newspaper he instantly starts dressing like a proper journalist with plaid shirts and a tweed jacket.  

Edited by j swift

• Members

No matter the material I always enjoy watching Julia in these episodes. She was such a unique character - one of the few times that such overly aware, sardonic types work over a long period of time without being irritating. I think SB is one of the only soaps that could have pulled this off. 

• Members

It is a shame that guys like Lane Davis and Terry Lester didn't have more fun during their time as soap actors.  They complained about soap fans, writers and producers usually communicating that they felt disrespected.  However, there has never been another time when soaps were as creative, profitable, or popular as they were during Terry or Lane's time and so their respective lack of support/respect for daytime seems such a silly choice in hindsight.   It just proves that you never know when what will be the good old days are now.

Edited by j swift