Santa Barbara Discussion Thread

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Amazing how we see things differently. I think the Capwells (and those associated with them) were the most interesting part of the show. They certainly got the investment.

Of course, it's all chicken and the egg as, maybe if others did get the writing, they could have been more compelling.

But when I watched, I watched for Mason (and Julia), Kelly (especially CG's version), and to a lesser extent, Eden.

Most of the other characters not attached there were like a revolving door. Or wallpaper.

• Members

I am fine with Capwell-centric episodes but the Lockridge kids have gone missing since the tunnel collapse.  It is particularly remarkable that Laken provides no comfort during her mother's blindness.  I guess that seeing someone's daughter confronted with her mother's trauma would have robbed SB from playing the humor in the story?

Also, why do the Lockridges prioritize having a chauffeur over household staff?  We never see a maid or a chef but they always employ a driver.

I continue to remark on how much story happens in such a short period of time.  The tunnel collapse and the opening of Eden's club happen within days of each other.  They are solving Channing's murder, Gina finds out about Santana being Brandon's biological mother, and Lionel got a job as a bet with Minx.  The later of which seems to never be mentioned again.  It is never boring and the heightened melodrama of Gina#1 adds some neurotic tension.

Edited by j swift

• Members

Does anyone else feel that SB could've possibly lasted longer had it been a 30 minute soap (a la Bold and the Beautiful) that mainly focused on the Capwells? 

I'm on the fence with that; however, I still stand firm that the main issue with this show was that anyone outside the Capwell circle was criminally underdeveloped. 

• Members

Yes but,

I love the Lockridges and I would miss them in a 20 minute version.

Speaking of which, Nicolas Coster is in an amusing new commercial on UK tv.  His character (with a British accent) tries a diet soda for the first time it makes him ponder what else he has missed.  So, in montage he calls an old love, gets a tattoo, and attends a EDM concert.  He still looks great.

Also, to be fair, we are watching the finale of the big Channing murder and the lead up to Eden's first wedding; so it makes sense that the episodes are Capwell-centric. 

Edited by j swift

• Members

Julia came on in 1985. The Baby Contract began in Fall 1986. That said, she started her more intricate interactions with Mason during the whole Mason/Mary/Mark storyline. So I'd say she maybe went about a year before moving into the "big time players" orbit.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I just watched the latest ep uploaded and now the Capwells have two maids (Rosa and Hayley) while the Lockridges still only employ a driver.  I doubt Minx and Augusta know where the kitchen is located but I keep wondering who cleans the place up? Also, once Brick knew that he was Lionel's son did he still get paid as a driver?

• Members

Forgive my coming late to the party but I just realized that Stephen Meadows and Denny Albee are two different people.  With the soap hopping discussion I was wondering why nobody brought up that an actor had been on EON, OLTL and SB, then I figured out that they are two different people.