Santa Barbara Discussion Thread

• Members

I understand protecting copyrights. I mean, the people who own those properties deserve to be paid. It’s just sad that people aren’t going to experience part of our rich TV heritage since it’s a costly prospect to get those shows on streaming services.

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Members

I was re-watching some episodes from mid-1988 to early 1989. Kimberly McArthur wasn't a bad Kelly - she really wasn't. She had some major strikes against her - her only major storyline was the triangle with Jeffrey and Vance Duke, ahem, TJ the gigolo who was also involved with her own mother, Sophia. It was just an ugly plot that didn't make any of the characters look good.

Of course, the major strike against her was that she wasn't Robin Wright. The two looked remarkably alike, which I'm sure couldn't have hurt in the transition. KM did good work with the other members of the Capwell family, even though it was a little too obvious how hard she was trying to fit in.

In short, I think she did as well as anyone could do being recast for one of the show's major stars (and an original cast member). SB did knock it out of the park with Kelly #3, Carrington Garland, whose resemblance to Marcy Walker was uncanny.

The only Kelly who was utterly and thuddingly miscast was Eileen Davidson. Ironically, her one-time husband, Chip Mayer (TJ) played opposite every Kelly except her!! 

Edited by amybrickwallace

• Members

The Dobsons really should have NEVER gotten rid of Carrington Garland. She could act, she had chemistry with the actors playing her family and every man they threw her at, and she was liked by the audience. Her Kelly was heavily featured, but considering Marcy Walker's exit, I think that could have benefited the show and filled the hole that Eden's loss left.

Eileen Davidson is fine and all, but she wasn't Kelly. And the Dobson's rationale of wanting a big name didn't wash, since they claimed Kelly should be more mature/older after what she went through. Considering RW's Kelly's age never jived with all that occurred, why start now?

• Members

I actually saw Kimberly McArthur in a highway to heaven rerun (pre-SB) where she played the popular girl that was nice underneath.  She had a guarded, yet a certain sweetness underneath.

I always think that had the writer strike never happened, Kelly/TJ wouldn't have happened because up till the strike episodes aired.. Kelly was anti TJ, and was in love with Jeffery yet trying to adjust to being married and adjusting to the reality of marriage vs the fairytale fantasy she always had.  Kelly always seemed to be written to be the princess that viewed love as a fairy tale... and Joe died shortly after they were married.. so she never got to see the reality of what marriage was truly like.  She and Jeffery were married several months before the writer strike so we got to see them as newlyweds trying to adjust to marital life vs the fairytale courtship/love on the run story they had lived.

I think KM played Kelly as guarded.. and after all the hell the character had been through.. it was too be expected.  She was the transition Kelly between RW and Carrington... who played Kelly as a mature adult and less like the sheltered princess that RW/Kimberly played Kelly.  

As much as I love Eileen.. she wasn't Kelly.  She would have worked better as an Eden type character then Kelly...imho.

• Members

True. As much as I loved the show, by the time it ended, it was almost a mercy killing. As an aside, I'll forever loathe the Walker family. Every last one. (Even BJ, who I know some did like with Warren!) Heck, I'm still sort of bitter that Cassie's shenanigans were never exposed and she never got any comeuppance, and that the Dobsons suddenly wanted folks to feel badly for her.

Not me. 

Please register in order to view this content

When she lost Mason and/or Warren and was miserable, I was tickled pink.

• Members

Santa Barbara was everything a soap should be and more. I'm proud to announce that I will be continuing my blog and picking up right where I left off. "Return to Santa Barbara" will return..... Soon. 

Details to follow....

OT but since when does SONY own the rights to 'Santa Barbara' anyway? Have the Dobsons sold their baby? Is NBC/New World now owned by SONY??!?  Things that make you go hmmmmm....