Santa Barbara Discussion Thread

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Yes, the conclusion of Eden's rape storyline is one time I think the Dobsons would have reined in CP and steered him towards a resolution that was less sensational and over-the-top and more emotional and character-based. Then again, it was the Dobsons who, on their return in 1991, had Augusta out to seduce her sister's rapist, which was pretty repugnant in its own right and led to the loss of Louise Sorel.

• Members

Did you ever notice that characters rarely get an exit scene in Santa Barbara?  Pearl, Janice Harrison, Greg Hughes, Casandra Benedict and Nick Hartley; all major characters, from different writers, with storylines that just disappeared.  Maybe Santa Barbara really was like the Twilight Zone?  A place where people don't leave town they just are never spoken about again... 

Edited by j swift

• Members

Someone pointed out the hypocrisy of having Marcy Walker give that PSA at the end of each episode asking victims of rape to report the crime to authorities and then having Eden's rapist

Please register in order to view this content

It's vile and undercuts the entire story.

But, again, the more I watch and the more it seems like Eden and Cruz are in their own little corner of Santa Barbara. Julia makes her appearances as do Sophia and Keith. But where's Mason and Kelly in this story? Perhaps the person who edited this story together cut out their involvement?

Edited by Faulkner

• Members

I disliked the revelation that Eden's doctor was her rapist as much as anyone. It sent a bad message to women who have trouble trusting gynecologists already and may forego important health care because of those fears. However, I don't see how this undercuts MW's message that rape victims should report their crimes. That is true no matter who the attacker is.

Yes, the show was very Cruz & Eden-heavy at this point. Thankfully AM and MW had the talent to carry it. It would have been nice to see Eden's support system, specifically the Capwells, at work. But it was around this time that Mason had turned into Sonny and Kelly was being played by Kimberly MacArthur, who (mercifully) was given little to do while the producers tried to find a new new Kelly. So it may make some sense that we don't see much of those two.

• Members

I agree with how distasteful Eden's rape was handled.  Least we forget the recasting of Leigh McCloskey as Ethan Asher.  During the introduction of the character, Eden was treated that as though she was nuts for thinking that Ethan reminded her of Zach; which just further victimized her character. 

Also,  not to minimize the cause, but sexual assault was awards-bait for soaps in the late 80's so every woman on daytime was assaulted.  Five years later every leading lady would have to shave her head for a cancer story in the mid-90's.