Santa Barbara Discussion Thread

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

But some of this doesn't gel with the autobiographies written by the actors. Nicholas Coster was meant to be Lionel, but like MW, he had to finish a contract, so didn't show up the first month.

And Jed Allan's autobiography says he auditioned for CC but a suit told him he wasn't the right age, so he resigned a contract with Days. That contract ended and we still needed a CC that would click. He auditioned again, but didn't like his chances and didn't go all in.The show still wasn't sure. They had him audition again. Everyone finally conceded, but no one bothered telling Bateman (just RUDE of them). 

It has always sounded like NBC and Sony really interfered with what the Dobsons wanted. It might have been smaller at the beginning with a "No, dont cast him". But by the time of the great lockout, it was certainly heavy. 

Another thing, the post about the bible says Sophia wasn't a part of the plan, but Dominic appears in the 4th episode, so I am not sure about that. It had to have changed quickly because it is pretty early on that he's a woman

Edited by Marissa Gallant
Edited to add

• Members

I was stuck in 1988 writer’s strike episodes which I didn't like so I started over again. The channel where I watch has improved the audio and also has completed some parts that before were in French language. The early episodes is not the Santa Barbara I really love but I'm enjoying it so far.

• Members

I think the best part of Santa Barbara 1984 is Louise Sorel. She really gives it her all!

The show really outdid itself in finding beautiful people with very minimal acting skills. Another one is Jonna Leigh Stack as Summer Blake. Given the character's fate, the writers probably shouldn't have made her Gina's sister, but rather a family friend. There's a scene in the middle of episode 72 where she's standing in the Lockridge living room in a two piece bikini; can't believe they got away with showing that much skin!

• Members

Louise/Augusta elevated all of her scene partners.  There's those episodes where she seduces Joe, where I finally saw his appeal; so to speak.  She was one of the only actors who could go head to head with Minx, before Lionel reappears. And her Oedipal interactions with Warren at the Beach Hut while insinuating that he had a teen aged romance with his neighbor Channing were scandalous for the time.

Also, note the date of those scenes where some reason Warren has chosen the Lockridge living room to teach Summer how to scuba for the treasures of the sunken ship at night.  IIRC, it was October which would've been awfully cold for Summer to be hanging out in a bikini in Santa Barbara.

Please register in order to view this content

Edited by j swift

• Members

Were they teasing Julia and Gina’s brother, Mac Blake, romantically? I noticed that they shared a lot of bonding scenes together that were a lot of a regular friendship. They seemed like a random duo and Mac was the first one who suspected Mason was cheating on her. Not that it went anywhere, he quickly disappeared from her circle after that and then left a few months later, which was typical for many Capwell adjacent characters. 

• Members

I left when Kelly suddenly and without explanation hates Jeffrey and T.J. becomes her new best friend. Also it had the creepy Ming Li, Major Hamilton, Cain, Andrea plot. And Cruz and Eden were in an island with a manhunter.

Seriously it was difficult to decide what story was the worse.

You have watched more than me. When the show is good again after these preposterous stories?

• Members

I just let it play in the background while I work. It is actually easier to do that with schlock you don't care about. I actually liked specific scenes after 88. There are some very funny scenes where CC is trying to make Sophia jealous. Augusta is always, ALWAYS great.

Lionel’s "death" and return from death are great and funny and at times even poignant. But it never sails to 85-87 heights again.