Santa Barbara Discussion Thread

• Members

Lloyd Bochner filmed and was even in promotional ad campaigns for the series' premiere. Peter Mark Richman was a decent replacement. Paul Burke was... a choice. Charles Bateman, to me, was an excellent C.C.! I would've been happy had he stayed, because he seemed to enjoy the role and reception seemed positive, too.

It's because Burke, per Bateman thought the dialogue was stupid so he quit. It's clear Burke did not want to be there and it showed in his scenes. He didn't even seem interested in building a rapport with his co-stars.

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Just watched episodes 36 and 37.

For Lionel and Augusta fans, I think this beginning has maybe their best scenes. It was a shame, but later on this couple (and the whole Lockridge family) were just supporting characters. In these episodes the scenes of Lionel spying (thanks to the two-way mirror) on Augusta and Peter are hysterical. I love Augusta criticizing Lionel while he’s watching and also enjoyed Lionel’s reactions.

Also, I realized these first episodes have a big difference from the later episodes. Here most of the cast appears in every episode. But some of them are just only featured in one or two scenes. But later this is not the way of doing the soap because every episode only focusses in a small number of characters and there are many principal actors not appearing during many episodes. These episodes have about 16-17 regular cast actors and later the episodes only feature about 10-11 actors per episode.

IMO the last great episodes were made in November-early December 1987.

It was great to watch Jeffrey and Kelly’s wedding, the resolution of Elena Nikolas murder and Mason and Julia together again. Those were amazing episodes. But after that it began the horrible Fox story, and the T.J and Sophia romance, and the Tori’s nasty divorce that was not interesting at all.

And all of that was before the writer’s strike. So in late December 1987 – early January the series was just in decline.

• Members

Burke got to kiss Ava Lazar and complained about it? Poor baby

I've been super busy the past few weeks. I finally got to the creation of the Circle of Truth. Lionel and Augusta anchored the first few months of this show. Enormous shame what happened with the characters. 

I can handle the show focusing on a few an episode- most of the time. But it is CRIMINAL how it got to full isolation. Like the friendships were lost completely. Eden and Mason were close, but not there for each other during the bubbles od the later years. I hate what the show did to Danny. Gobe forever- then poof druggie. The interesting story would have been that descent. Also, where was Kelly when Amy was killed? I know Haley was her SiL, but Kelly was Brick's best man at that wedding. No way she wouldn't have been there at least a little bit. I feel like the show went from a show-wide family to no family. Yes, the Capwells were still around, but even they weren't family like they were originally. 

• Members

I absolutely agree that kissing Ava shouldn't be a chore, but I was glad when he was out.

His CC and Ava's Santana were a really creepy couple. Maybe it was, because she only slept with him to find out about Brandon, so there was no real emotional involvement, but I was really glad when it was over.

She's such a beautiful woman and he was the least attractive CC in my book.

• Members

Cruz is so incompetent; hard to take him seriously whenever he tries to do his job.

The show screwed up by not getting a strong actor for Warren from the very beginning. John Allen Nelson was likeable, but there was no way he could handle any of the deep, dramatic stuff.

Having Warren cast correctly from the beginning might have stopped the show from being all about the Capwells, and kept some Lockridges around full time.

• Members

I always found Paul Burke to be very stiff and unappealing as an actor .He was in alot of primetime stuff in the 70's and I could never see the appeal.

Same with Ken Howard and Granville Van Dusen. When they started on soaps (Dynasty and Y&R) they might have been known names but they were boring to watch.