March 3-7, 2008

Toups

• Members

When RC was writing, the balance was shaked-up every month. He did it the right way.

What I want to know is what do you want OLTL fans want?? He is showing veterans. Todd, Nora, Viki, Clint, etc. Yes, he shows John. Yes, his stories are parenting stories. But he has only been here six months. Six months is not enough time to show all the stories you have planned. And he also had to clean up the mess that Dena made.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Thanks Ryan. I don't think it's the end of the world or OLTL is doomed to hell. For me, it's just boring right now. I suspect at some point, I'll go back. I do believe the very worst thing OLTL could do is change writers again.

• Members

LMAO I'm sorry but AMC DESERVES these ratings. Guess viewers aren't interested in a bitch on a pole, or the sextet of suck(I know I'm sick of it). The writing is all over the place, one day characters say one thing, then next they say the complete opposite. Even Jesse & Angie are getting repetitive, and D&D can only carry that for so long....AMC is a true clusterfuck

AMC keeps mocking viewers and giving them giant FU's, guess viewers are biting back.

OLTL, just wow. I fear for that show. They seem stuck at 2.0, it's gonna be hard for them to get viewers back(ala Days) if this keeps up, same for AMC and GH.

How the HELL does Frons STILL have a job when ABC Daytime is literally bleeding from its core?

• Members

Yes there are vets on (and a lot of them), but the stories still don't make sense. Clint and Nora make no sense and it seems like the only reason they are together is to show a contrast to Bo and Lindsay, who also makes no sense. Ron is just using things that worked 10 years ago and making the characters act that way again. The food fight with those 4 vets made no sense and was stupid. Nora acts ridiculous and Lindsay should be held accountable for her actions. The ratings are just as bad now as they were under Ron. Ron has no idea how to do sweeps...nothing happened in November sweeps. He took over and we got Marice on the run with various wigs for WAY TOO LONG. If I NEVER see another character in a car again on this show it will be too soon, between Marcie (and her horrendous hysterics) and Tommy...Todd and John and my personal favorite Todd/Blair/John/Marty. These are all things that went down under Ron's watch, not Dena's and not the scabs. I understand he needs to fix things, but fix them, don't drag out crap because storylines "cannot be quickly ended." When you don't end crap that doesn't work, you end up with ratings of 2.0 (lows that were reached under Ron's tenure). I enjoy both Viki and Charlie and Jared and Natalie, but the uncle thing was way too much and again that is something Ron did. I don't blame him for what is playing out now, but the stories were bad before mid February...WTF wants to see Natalie pining for her uncle while he kissed her sister. And don't get me started on Marcie on the run. I use to enjoy Marcie, but now I NEVER want to see her again until she pays for her actions, which she doesn't seem to be doing. It was dragged out WAY too long. That story should have climaxed in November, not January. Ron is better then Dena, but he is by no means the great white hope that many make him out to be.

• Members

I have stopped blaming the headwriters for the rating fluctuations. What we are witnessing the cumulation of years of negligence on the part of the networks and producers combined with changing demographics of the soaps' viewership. I have noticed that once the ratings decline, there is no going back. Other than Y&R and B&B, the soaps are probably doomed to eventually disappear from network tv onto cable or the like.

• Members

What's even bad, when even the actors on AMC have NO idea what's going on with the storylines. Cameron Mathison said as much in a recent interview in SID. I guess he was told the amnesia storyline would go one way, but they ended up doing it another.

Just WOW, when actors have NO clue what's going on this show is in serious trouble

• Members

WOW! Some nasty/negative comments toward GL before the actual posting of the ratings. Let's see here.............

GL is #6 in total viewers (6. GL 2,745,000 (+3,000/+97,000)), they are the only soap to increase in the viewership from last week and they EVEN increased from last year.

GL is #6 in 18-49 Women Viewers (6. GL 856,000 (+21,000/+63,000)) with increased from last week and last week. They even beat AMC which ABC Soaps were supposed to be known for it's good demo ratings. They rank #4 in the 18-49 demo ratings (4. GL 1.3/8 (same/+.1)).

GL is is #1 in the Girls 12-17 Viewers (1. GL 65,000 (+18,000/+53,000)).

GL is the most diverse soap time slot-wise than any soaps on air since they air in many markets from 9am, 10am, 2pm and 3pm without any consistent time slot. The new production format was in full blast during this week so obviously marketing and sampling is taking place. Perhaps innovation and building on new, first time viewers for GL is the key to the future as all shows are competing with youtube, internet, and hundreds of cable channels.

Monday: 1.9/2,463,000 #7 out of 8

Tuesday: 2.0/2,755,000 #6 out of 8

Wednesday: 1.9/2,735,000 #6 out of 8 but very close behind DAYS

Thursday: 1.9/2,796,000 #6 out of 8 but very close behind GH

Friday: 2.1/2,978,000 #5 out of 8

If GL was in consistent time slot across the country like GH, I believe they would have higher ratings than GH and even their lead-in ATWT (no offense intended).

Yes, GL has problems but it's not a disaster as people constantly point out and I love watching this show through the good/bad times since 1989. GL in my opinion is severely underrated and they have only one way to go and that is up.

• Members

ABC also needs to fire the current promo monkeys and hire new ones cause they clearly don't know how to promote stuff people want to see.

We're STILL being subjected to Ryan's "one sexy man" promo on Soapnet, when the Ryan amensia stuff is clearly a flop, yet they keep promoting it. GH promoting more mob violence, the majority seem sick of the mob.

Seriously WTF is going on with this network????

• Members

How did I guess last week when Days was pretty boring it would go up? Seriously. Ratings have no rhyme or reason to them. Days will probably go down this week even though it's a bit better. Hopefully it can at least hold the 2.2 for this week.

This is a bad week for soaps though. I mean, I am shocked GH got nothing for the bridge stuff last week. I mean, the story sucked but usually for big events they get something. I feel bad for OLTL. Good for GL in viewers though.

ABC has major issues though. They are setting up to be the ratings story of 2008 much like Days was of 2007. Even if Days is up vs last year's lows, it still looks good when you see a plus there. I mean, they have gotten viewers back and CBS has too.

As for ATWT, why would all the publicity get them anything? Shock and awe doesn't work anymore. Just ask JER. That is all he did his last few years at Days and the past few years at Passions and the ratings did nothing despite any media attention the shows did get. The only recent "shock and awe" story that got media attention and did well was the SSK story on Days and that was for a short while. It all went downhill from there.

• Members

Bad week for soaps. I was hoping ATWT would stay at 2.4. I had a feeling it would drop. The week was slow until the end of the week. I knew the pubilcity it was getting wouldnt raise the ratings. The positive is they are still at #3 in Total Viewers.

I cant believe GL is only .3 back from the number 3 spot in HH's. That is just awful. GL is the worst show in daytime right now.

OLTL is not all that. What is with all the praise it is getting. It deserves the ratings it is getting.

GH back at #3 in HH's....grrrrrrrrr

• Members

Clint and Nora is something new instead of going back to the same old same old relationships. And Jerry Ver Dorn actually has chemistry with Hilary B. Smith(hell even Catherine Hickland).

I get what you are saying, but if Ron is taking things back to how they were in the 90's he is doing a good thing because that is what One Life to Live is. The 90's made its identity more than the seventies or eighties did, IMO. Ron has returned it to its identity that Dena deprived it of.

Ron is not the best HW, and yes the Marcie story was long, but it was long because it played a factor in many stories and if it had not been that long things wouldn't have gone in the great directions they did. Marcie was needed to get Viki and Gigi to Llanview, and if the hostage situation had happened in say November Viki would barely have had time to meet and bond with Charlie, much less be in Paris, Texas.

• Members

You cannot always go home again. I am all for Ron writing stories that are similiar to the 90's for OLTL. But he isn't, he is just recycling old plots and putting the same people in them, even though they are no longer the same people anymore. Characters grow and evolve. Write compelling stories for who they are now, not who they use to be.

I disagree that you had to drag the Marcie stuff out because of Viki and Gigi...Ron CHOSE to tie those stories together. It makes no sense that Gigi had to come to town because Ramsey was trying to kill her and Shane. It was just as weak as some of the crap Dena has pulled.

Archived