AMC: MMT has some nerve

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well, here, for one. Quoted from a 1996 SOW article (emphasis added):

Last summer, [Lorraine] Broderick returned to the writing staff of AMC after a combined four-year stint at "Guiding Light" and "Another World," to find the idea of daytime's first gay teacher already in place. Writers Jeff Beldner, Hal Corley and Frederick Johnson were searching for a way to let viewers get to know another side of the much-loved character, Trevor Dillon (James Kiberd). The writers wanted to challenge Trevor and wondered what would happen if he had a gay brother-in-law. The idea of letting Trevor and others get to know Michael first, then discover he is gay, opened up fascinating possibilities for Trevor's character development.

I might've been wrong about Michelle Patrick's involvement in that particular storyline (I probably got it confused w/ (her involvement in writing) Danielle's kidnapping, which I read about in Michael Logan's column), but according to that article - again, from SOW - the story was already in place before Broderick's return.

Below is a link to the article in question:

http://www.column-of-life.com/sowgaytv01.html

• Members

"All Her Children" is a fantastic book; I actually own more than 1 copy. I don't remember Agnes mentioning this but I don't doubt you. I'll look it up.

Incidentally, I emailed Dan Wakefield about 5 years ago during the babyswitch storyline and asked him if he still kept up with the show. (All My Children was getting a lot of press during that time and I was curious to know if he was still a fan.) He wrote me back and said he hadn't watched AMC in years but would check it out. I'm sure if he tuned back in then he certainly has tuned back out again.

• Members

No. Her daughter mentioned that he was doing something it looked like would be very similar to a recent story AMC had, her mom said how she knew and respected Bell, how different their styles were and I think even said that from the hints of a gun or so0mething she thought the story would turn out pretty diff anyway.

Archived