All: Did anyone love the Hogan Sheffer Years 2000-2005 on ATWT?

• Members

I personally loved the Hogan Sheffer years on ATWT.There seemed to be more fast-paced storylines and more mystery and adventure back then.It seems miles above anything we get from JP now and her storylines drag out way too long.At least with Sheffer if the story was a clunker at least it ended quickly,but with JP she doesn't know when to end the madness and draw it to a close.Even reading the ATWT synopses from 2002-2003 on soapcentral.com seemed more interesting than what the show is spewing out now.What is everyone's take on this topic?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quite liked the first year, because it seemed like he was making sense of the mess Leah Laiman had made. Things that seemed like stunts under LL were grounded in the show's history: Andy faking his paralysis seemed much more rooted in character; Rose became less of a cliche dual role and there was a backstory with Iva.

But outside of a few good episodes here and there, the show really went off the rails around 2002 for me.

• Members

I liked parts of his tenure. Going back to that damn island for a third summer was absolutely ridiculous, and the Scottish adventure quite underwhelming(though it was nice to see people of color do something light and whimsical on a soap). I didn't care for the additions of Jordan, Celia or her boxer brother either. Sheffer's was probably the best example of plot-driven writing that I've seen though. After a long drought, it was the first time in a long while that I felt I couldn't miss a day.

• Members

You hit the nail on the head for me. Those were Shaffer's worst.

Toups you also nailed it mentioning Jean's arrival as Co-HW. I don't get Goutman's hard on for her. Some friends from his time on AW should just be left alone.

I gave up on ATWT shortly before the killed Bryant off, with the intro of that Billy kid.

• Members

When you look at the state of the show since he's left, it looks like gold.

I hated his last year or so but it was miles ahead of this. The women characters were still strong. Like Barbara!

Wtf did she go>?

• Members

It definitely had its blunders, but the Who Killed Rose mystery was great (even though I was sad to lose the character). Wasn't that close to his last year? If it wasn't his last year, it was definitely his second-to-last year. First of all, it's the first time I can remember that the murder victim in a soap whodunnit wasn't some evil villain who had ruined the lives of half the town, which is original in and of itself. And second of all, the Will reveal was really powerful, and actually made sense once it all came out.

and I liked the concept of the Cabot story, so to speak. It was more poor Cady McClain being stuck crying about the damn kid all the time that drove me insane. But I can understand how it must have looked like a great umbrella story on paper.

• Members

It seems like a lot of revisionist history here. Hogan had a great first year. His break-up of Hal and Barbara's marriage created an umbrella story that churned out story after story. Unfortunately, it was downhill from there. When reliving Hogan's "glory days", please remember classics like "Bonnie In Scotland", "Pilar Kills Katie's Rabbit", "The Dahlia Mystery", "Teens On The Run" "The Return Of Nikki Munson" "Aaron's Boxing Adventure"' and , of course, "Celia In An Orange Crate". Please. I'll take JP over Hogan any day of the week.

• Members

As I keep saying, Hogan is good when surrounded with the right people (i.e. people who are good writers and who KNOW and RESPECT the show that they are working for). His first year at ATWT were brilliant because he had Carolyn Culliton, Hal Corley, Stephen Demorest, and Richard Allen, plus scads of other talented writers that I don't remember. Once they won that Emmy in 2001 and MADD COW decided to screw around with the EMMY-AWARD-WINNING writing team, that is when things went down hill. Demorest, Corley, and Allen were fired to bring on the rank Craig Heller, probably one of the worst script writers ever (he was so bad on GH that Mulchahey was credited along with him).

• Members

Well, Lynn Martin is certainly in contention for "worst script writer EVER"...but that's hardly worth debating.

Hogan had better "highs"...but his lows were just as bad as Pissy's. JP can't seem to write anything remotely suspenseful. Neither the cliff confrontation between Craig and Paul, or Gwen and Jade on the railroad tracks seemed to have any energy to them.

Archived