Top Posters In This Topic

• Soapsuds

• Faulkner

• DramatistDreamer

• ChitHappens

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

A 44-year wait is over! Ashleigh Barty wins the Australian Open and becomes the first home winner in either men's or women's singles since Chris O'Neil in 1978!  

Please register in order to view this content

Australian Open: Ashleigh Barty wins first Melbourne title by beating Danielle Collins

Edited by I Am A Swede

• Members

I only caught a few games of the men's final but figured that Barty was not going to let this moment pass, she would have her Murray moment. I also figured Kokkinakis and Kyrgios would take the men's doubles trophy. I'm sure it's a big deal for Australian sports fans. Like, I said before, they are not missing a thing with any player's absence.

• Members

I missed it but from reading it sounds like Danielle played well but couldn’t seal the deal. Barty isn’t one to just fold so expected.  I heard the story about her being the first Aussie to win since 1978. It’s kind of really since Goolagong.  They have to acknowledge O’Neil but no one was in that year’s tournament. I mean like - no one. So I think that’s why this is an even bigger deal.  They know.  Good for her, after all the ridiculous drama. 

Edited by Fevuh