Jump to content

The Tennis Thread


Toups

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 10.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Soapsuds

    3593

  • Faulkner

    2637

  • ChitHappens

    1540

  • DramatistDreamer

    1953

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

  • Members

I don’t care that much about Davis Cup, and I wish Novak would skip it. I know he feels obligated to play for Serbia, but he’s not young anymore. Let Lajovic and the second stringers wave the flag.

Edit: Mektic and Pavic look primed to dismantle Novak and Krajinovic in doubles so it may not matter, but my point still stands. Up to him, but that elbow…

Edited by Faulkner
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

At the risk of starting a rumor which may not even be true, I saw a tweet posted by a Korean American man that Peng Shuai is "on trial" and now I can't dismiss the thought out of my head. Could that at all be true? How would this man know this? This account is listed as being located in the United States, but is it really, or could VPN be a factor?

Maybe I am making too much out of a stray comment posted on social media by someone who may have no insight at all but I can't help it, I find the comment deeply disturbing.

I wouldn't dare discuss it anywhere else but here.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
2 hours ago, DramatistDreamer said:

At the risk of starting a rumor which may not even be true, I saw a tweet posted by a Korean American man that Peng Shuai is "on trial" and now I can't dismiss the thought out of my head. Could that at all be true? How would this man know this? This account is listed as being located in the United States, but is it really, or could VPN be a factor?

Maybe I am making too much out of a stray comment posted on social media by someone who may have no insight at all but I can't help it, I find the comment deeply disturbing.

I wouldn't dare discuss it anywhere else but here.

Probably true.  We may end up hearing that she was prosecuted and found guilty in whatever court they have in China and never hear from her again.  For some concocted crime, or they'll even admit her 'crime' was speaking out against the government or whatever.  Or that she sadly passed away after a short illness...or prolonged illness, or however they word it so that someone might believe it.  I think we've seen the last of her for sure.    

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
6 hours ago, Fevuh said:

Probably true.  We may end up hearing that she was prosecuted and found guilty in whatever court they have in China and never hear from her again.  For some concocted crime, or they'll even admit her 'crime' was speaking out against the government or whatever.  Or that she sadly passed away after a short illness...or prolonged illness, or however they word it so that someone might believe it.  I think we've seen the last of her for sure.    

I'm not willing to go that far... yet.

China is drastic in the way they deal with dissidents but they're not Russia...yet. China has been known to 'disappear' people who they feel are interfering with the way they run their government business but not usually such high profile individuals (and usually not famous women, who they consider their flowers). Also, unlike Russia, China only seems to take the most extreme measures when some serious criminal charge is made (like the man who was charged with tainting the milk supply, who was executed). Ai Wei Wei is a dissident artists who makes dissident art that is openly critical of Chinese politics and government and he is treated as a hostile force, but even by his own admission he is deliberately provocative, as he believes agit-art is the best way that he can try to get the attention of people who would force change. China is not really in the business of disappearing people like Russia does. At least, not permanently. Jack Ma is one example of someone who went missing for weeks, if not months, then suddenly turned up on his yacht out in the middle of somewhere. You've heard of "Too Big to Fail"? Well, Ma was too big/famous to disappear. With her level of notoriety, I think it would be next to impossible to just do away with her, she's not poor anonymous "Tank Man" in Tiananmen Square. She is Han Chinese woman whose notoriety has only been growing, she's not the unfortunate Uyghurs who are often locked away for months in "re-education" camps, but I suspect that the government will try to 're-program' her mind to forget her allegations, likely under pressure if not all out threats made to her and her family.

If she emerges publicly, if not living in anonymity, there will likely be every effort to have her appear timid and cowed in public, much the way she appears now, with broad forced smiles, in front of a menagerie of plush toys.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
On 12/4/2021 at 3:26 PM, DramatistDreamer said:

If she emerges publicly, if not living in anonymity, there will likely be every effort to have her appear timid and cowed in public, much the way she appears now, with broad forced smiles, in front of a menagerie of plush toys.

At the Olympics.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

This is, not a surprise.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy