Top Posters In This Topic

• Soapsuds

• Faulkner

• DramatistDreamer

• ChitHappens

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Oh well, gotta admit that I don't care what Djokovic's fate is. Send him out of Oz. If he gets sent off, won't miss him. At all.

It's the people who had to miss loved one's passages, births and other important milestones that I was thinking about.

Sloppy paperwork was also a factor, allegedly.

• Members

Well if it does come to pass, good.  If it doesn't, then move on or cancel the tournament if they're that worried about it.  Australia has been one of the most stringent when it comes to the pandemic and went from the lowest rates of infection to one of the highest in the last 2 weeks.  I doubt that was because of Tennis players.  And last year there was controversy over some players being quarantined at one hotel while others were not and allowed to practice freely and came and went - so they've made mistakes before.  Get it totally right and cancel it and be done.  Their vaccination rate is near 80%, less for the booster but it's not working and the myth out there that vaccinated people don't spread the virus or are far less likely is not holding up.   It's either that or a huge majority of people in Australia are not vaccinated and the numbers are totally incorrect.   I know plenty of people (my sister included) here in the U.S. who were double vaccinated and boostered and got it.  There's no tracing it at this point, so let them clam themselves up down under completely again and see if that works.   But it's not going to.

I'm a bad Democrat because while I was vaxxed and boostered, I've said at some point people are going to have to live with it as a way of life.  From the beginning before the vaccine was available I said it would end up being like the flu year in and year out with a different strain or two every year - and the first vaccines work for the initial strain but by the time you get the vaccine, there's another strain out there that it doesn't cover. Some people will be vaccinated, some won't.  Some die, some don't.  So we either live with it the best we can and move on, or just cancel everything when it makes sense.  Done.

• Members

Tennis players are not essential workers. 

Tennis organizations love to throw their weight around concerning enforcement of rules towards some players. Clearly Tennis Australia has its own set of rules, which may or may not be in keeping with the rules of the Australian government.

Millions had to abide by Australia's rigid standards, surely most players are intelligent enough to realize this? As for those who are not? Oh well. Deal with it.

Djokovic is likely to find a way to weasel his way in anyway, so don't stress it.

• Members

And then his fanatics do this, which in their eyes, his situation is completely the same as a woman who was sexually assaulted and disappeared.

Please register in order to view this content

EDT:

Looks like he already changed his AVI but the Internet doesn't forget about thing like this.

• Members

We are in the early stages. After a few years the Spanish Flu burnt it's way through the world and we are left with what a flu annually. I have a relative that works for the NYC Dept of Public Health and she's said it's already starting to wane. When variants happen, they generally they become more contagious and less lethal. Omicron fits that bill as will the next one. 

The problem is COVID is still overloading our hospital systems and people are still dying of COVID - and not only more vulnerable people. We'll likely have just as you said an annual COVID shot very similar to the flu shot at some point.   The other major issue we have is that vaccines are not readily available around the world. That needs to happen like ASAP and the US can play a vital role in that.