Top Posters In This Topic

• Soapsuds

• Faulkner

• DramatistDreamer

• ChitHappens

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Well it appears that what happened is what should have happened.  From the dates, I believe the deadline from Tennis Australia I think was December 10th or 12th for the request for exemption with the paperwork that you were positive.  So he missed that deadline anyway.  I've been trying to follow along.  But, whether or not a deadline was extended or not - doesn't matter.  What people don't understand is that it's not Tennis Australia that matters.  It doesn't matter what they say you need to provide for an exemption or whatever is necessary to play in the tournament.  It doesn't matter, for the basic premise that you have to get into the country first.  So while it appears they expected him and told him he was cleared to come, that's not getting into the country.  

And regardless of all of THAT  - a visa is just a visa.  Different things happen at the border anyway, and it does in every country.  They can refuse you for whatever reason they want - visa or not.  From my understanding (and I do not travel internationally), the visa has some type of approval from someone at the Embassy or Consolate or whatever BEFORE you go.  That's how you have a visa.  So someone gave him one and should not have.  Or he did not have proof of paperwork when he got to Australia.  You can have a visa but still have to provide whatever documentation they ask for at the border - and he either didn't have that documentation or they didn't like it.  Which either happens.  Someone at the border doesn't like you, you're not getting in.  

I know I can never travel to Canada because I've had a DUI.  Now, I've been told that I can get to the border and they may not 'catch it'.  But they share a database with the U.S. because of 9/11.  If I get to the border and they see it, I'm not getting in.  Pretty much ever.  There is - yes - a process you can go through to get admitted.  Having all of your paperwork that you satisfied your duties and punishment, letters of recommendation, time passing - I don't remember.  But I do know that a President of ours had to have a pardon to get in and didn't even go through all of that.  There are stories out there of people who had possession of pot when they were in college, and are now in their 50's or 60's, and it's on their record, and they get stopped and cannot get into Canada.  Things may have changed, but if they have it's been since I checked within the last 5-10 years.  I know what I'm talkin' bout there.   Which, in case anyone wants to know - a lot a lot a lot of people do not know - Canadians can have a DUI and come to the U.S. without question.  So, when I hear people talking about the problems with border control, I make sure I inform them of this - because I know they're griping about Mexico, and don't even know this about Canada.  But that's another show as Oprah would say.

Long and short, Australia ain' Djokin' around and he isn't getting in to a Grand Slam because he missed two shots.  

Edited by Fevuh