Top Posters In This Topic

• Soapsuds

• Faulkner

• DramatistDreamer

• ChitHappens

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

One of Novak Djokovic's main rivals has accused the world No 1 of making vaccinated players "look like fools" at the Australian Open.

World No 4 Stefanos Tsitsipas attacked Djokovic for "playing by his own rules" while the vast majority of competitors had got the jab "in order to come and perform".

Tensions between players surfaced as the Serb was finally poised to find out whether he faced deportation following his drawn out visa wrangle.

As the Australian Government edged closer to an announcement, Tsitsipas became the third top-five player to suggest he would not be disappointed if Djokovic was forced to leave.

The Greek player, who lost to Djokovic in last year's Roland Garros final, said arriving in Australia without having the vaccine was effectively putting the grand slam at risk.

"The stats say 98 per cent of players have been vaccinated and did what they had to do in order to come and perform and play in Australia," he told Indian network WIO News.

For sure, he's been playing by his own rules and has been doing what not many players had the guts to do, especially after the ATP announced certain criteria for players to enter the country. No one really thought they could come to Australia unvaccinated and not having to follow the protocols... it takes a lot of daring to do that and putting the grand slam at risk, which I don't think many players would do."

Tsitsipas said: "There are two ways to look at it. One side of it is that almost every single player is fully vaccinated... and have followed the protocols to play in Australia. On the other hand, it seems not everyone is playing by the rules... a very small majority chose to follow their own way, which kind of makes the majority look like fools."

• Members

I just ignore this attention seeking bleep bleep bleep

A bit more from out papers.

Novak Djokovic visa application latest news: Poll shows Australians want star deported

If it was up to the people of Australia, Novak Djokovic would already on a flight home to Serbia.

As the wait for answers continues in Novak Djokovic’s visa saga which clouds his Australian Open chances, the people of Australia have spoken: and they want him out.

In an exclusive poll conducted by News Corp this week, a stunning 84 per cent of the more than 61,000 respondents voted that the Australian Government should try to deport the world No.1 from Australian shores.

The vote that matters, that of Immigration Minister Alex Hawke, is expected to be delivered on Friday - but he can be in no doubt what decision the wider public is pushing for.

From me - I hope that the parents of the ball kids will tell Tennis Aust that they don't want their kids on the same court and Djokovic. (I have a ticket for the Saturday)

• Members

Thanks for posting the youtube of the newscasters ranting.
I couldn't undertand anything they were saying on the twitter version, except for the word a$$hole. 
With the youtube, I could use the gear icon, and slow down the speed and also select closed captioning.
And then I discovered a transcript in the youtube comments:

Transcript
Rebecca Maddern: 'Whatever way you look at it, Novak Djokovic is a lying, sneaky, a***hole.'
Mike Amor: 'He's an a***hole.'
RM: 'Like whatever way you look at it, it's unfortunate that everybody else stuffed up around him.
MA: 'That's it, I mean he's an a***hole.'
MA: 'He got a bullshit f*****g excuse and then fell over his own f*****g lies. It's just what happens, right, that's what happened.'
RM: 'Yeah. And then, he now then ticking he didn't go to Spain.'
MA: 'Yeah, yeah.'
RM: 'It's just like...'
MA: 'I think he's going to get away with it.'
RM: 'Oh, he is. He's going to get away with it.'
MA: 'I think most fair minded people would say "Look, the bloke's an a***hole". Did we, did they do the right thing by him, I don't know.'
RM: 'No. I don't think so.'
MA: 'They f****d it up. That's the problem, isn't it?'
RM: 'I don't think, I don't think anything was gained by putting him in (an) immigration hotel.'
MA: 'No, but the trouble is, how do you justify the person (who is) also on the same plane with him who also has...'
RM: 'You can't justify it, but the fact is, life is never fair.'
MA: 'Yeah.'
RM: 'Some people fly first class and some people, do you know what, it's never fair.'
MA: 'Yeah. But that poor Czech girl that was f*****g sent home. Hunted down and sent home.'

• Members

Djokovic got a hearing (unusual to get one so speedily, according to Australian immigration experts). Also unusual, is the fact that he has, so far, managed to avoid detention after his visa has been declared cancelled, but some have said once his interview takes place, he will be detained then.

The hearing, which is being transferred to the Federal Court of Australia is on Sunday.

Looks like Djokovic will be detained tomorrow at 8 am, Australian time.