Top Posters In This Topic

• Soapsuds

• Faulkner

• DramatistDreamer

• ChitHappens

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Maybe so, but NYC is not Melbourne, they will send his a$s back on a plane out of there. This is the city of September 11th, 2001, they don't play.

NYC was also the first epicenter of the COVID pandemic in the United States, so they won't give him leeway in that regard either. I'd be interested in watching him try though.

• Members

Mary Carrillo was on with Christiane Amanpour and said Novak should not be allowed to play.  He along with the TA and Craig Tiley are responsible for all this mess. She said Craig bent the rules to get Novak to play. She wonders how long he'll stay in his position. She also said Novak broke a lot of ATP rules/guidelines. That he's in a whole lot of trouble.

That's ridiculous!

• Members

The majors pretty much decide their own standards, practices and policies. Tennis has never really had that type of cohesion, from prize money to fines, etc. it all seems to depend on the individual tournament. Even during the pandemic, the first year, Wimbledon, which had taken out pandemic insurance a few years prior, elected not to have a tournament, while the U.S  Open decided to stage a tournament without spectators, and Roland Garros moved the dates of their tournament that year from spring to autumn, after the US Open. The last time the 4 majors decided to coordinate judgement, was when they decided they were going to levy penalties against Naomi Osaka for declaring that, for mental health reasons, she would skip the post-match press conference during the Roland Garros tournament and accept the fines. Collectively, and within short order they decided to issue a joint statement stating that they would penalize her for any missed press conference, which could ultimately have resulted in her expulsion from their tournaments, Osaka withdrew from Roland Garros after she won her second round match. The four major tournaments really haven't been in accord in any other matters since.

In other words, whatever seems to work for each individual tournament is what they decide to do. Every tennis association for themselves.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

I can't believe how poorly the Australian Open will be covered by ESPN. Most if not all will be shown on ESPN+. That's ridiculous! Why do they want the tournament if they aren't showing it on TV?

I did notice too that ESPN acquired the rights to PGA tournaments which now airs on ESPN+. 

Edited by Soapsuds

• Members

I remember watching Chris Evert compete on TV in 1975.  TV always showed less women's sports than men's sports back then. Sigh.
Grateful that they caught Evert's cancer early.

That's two things I don't miss. 
1) the old days of limited TV coverage of women's sports
2) the old days of untreatable cancers.

Edited by janea4old