Top Posters In This Topic

• Soapsuds

• Faulkner

• DramatistDreamer

• ChitHappens

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Speaking of Raducanu, Flavia Pennetta basically say "I'ma let you finish, but..."

By the way, ratings seem to have disputed Flavia's assessment that women's tennis is harder to sell.

The WTA may not have the sheer numbers of charismatic players that they had two decades ago, but I hardly think there is some dearth of WTA players with personalities.

• Members

Funny.  I only somewhat agree, but anyone could have won this year really.  But it took a perfect draw really for Pennetta to win.  I guess Emma didn't have powerhouse players like Jarmila Gajdosova, Monica Niculescu, Petra Cetkovska, and the quarterfinals before she really met anyone (Stosur at a 22 seed - a daunting task for your first seeded player you meet - and a 22 seed at that - very tough).  While your country-woman follows a similar path, getting the benefit of a walkover injury, who then beats Serena for you in the Semis so that you get to meet the player you know the best of anyone for a final.  The only problematic player Pennetta really met was Kvitova that year.  Probably not the best comment from a one-hit wonder herself.  

• Members

Emma has shown that she has skills, but I sort of agree with Flavia.  Barty, Osaka, Halep, Sabalenka, Mugu, Svitolina, etc don't seem inspired with Serena all but gone.  They let an 18 year old qualifier ranked 150 who panic attacked her way out of Wimby take the US Open.  It's embarrassing!  

Folks on Twitter are jumping all over Flavia but she's not wrong.  How is the new guard letting these babies come in and clown like this?

And look at the ATP.  Norrie wins Indian Wells?  Zverev, Tits, FAA, Medvedev, Rublev, Shapo are supposed to be the names winning these tournies with an anomaly here and there.  Is this the norm?  The inspiration is gone now that the big 3 are on their last legs?

• Members

It's indisputable that it was harder to win twenty years ago when almost all the Top 10 then is now on the HOF or headed there.

Dementieva and Safina likely wish they had these draws.

I don't believe that the ratings bear out her argument about the supposed difficulty with selling women's tennis.