The Tennis Thread

• Members

They were said to have a volatile relationship.

In interviews, I remember Tatum O'Neal alleging that her father Ryan O'Neal was physically and emotionally abusive, which he denied. She also said that it was McEnroe's hot headedness that attracted her (she felt he was reminiscent of her father but claimed McEnroe was a much better man than her father), but she also claimed to have a worse temper than John, which she blamed her father for her temperament. She did once say that John  punched a wall, which seems pretty scary but coming from her violent upbringing, I guess it seemed milder in comparison. I do remember an interview where she stated that after a loss on the tennis court, McEnroe could be difficult to live with, as if she had to walk a tight-rope with him. (I can easily imagine at least one ATP player whose wife may feel the same after a loss.) What's most odd was to hear O'Neal express regret that she divorced McEnroe last year, but it is probably as a result of feeling vulnerable, with her having just been diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis and being single.

According to this article, they worked together for two years when she was a Junior player. They recently reunited in July.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/tennis/us-open-champion-emma-raducanu-splits-with-coach-less-than-two-weeks-after-becoming-first-qualifier-to-win/ar-AAONe48

Apparently, she wants a coach that has experience on the WTA Tour. I don't think her ex-coach will have much trouble finding a new player to coach.

It's a bit of an eyebrow raiser but it has happened on both Tours. Didn't Thiem dump someone on his coaching staff after the U.S. Open?

• Replies 12.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Soapsuds

• Faulkner

• DramatistDreamer

• ChitHappens

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Lemme be the first to say that I am no big fan of Carillon, but she did stand behind her convictions in regards to the Sandgren stuff and she clearly stood behind her convictions in regards to this Zverev scandal.

By the way, BTR also has a YouTube channel and the podcast interview is also uploaded there.

• Members

Sloane only gets up for the Williams Sisters, Madison Keys and maybe Vika. Most of the rest of the time, she's half-asleep. Yet, I rarely hear her get told to retire, over and over, which hey, it's her prerogative, like any other player. Just saying, both Williams Sisters were playing consistently high-level tennis with a much stronger competitive field when they were Sloane's age.

• Members

Thanks for posting this! I'm a Carillo fan. Listening/Watching on YouTube. Mary believes the ex girlfriend allegations. I have seen and heard her commentary on Sascha matches and she always brings it up but the other commentator that's with ignores it. 

She was also very upset when it took TC forever to fire Gimelstob after his fiasco with his ex and her friend.

• Members

She even gave some shade to Roger for not saying anything about Sasha.....allowing him to play the laver cup. Her laughing that only top players were there when Nick and Jack Sock were there. 

I always wondered how they got paid. Now I know...glad she didn't call Sandgren match. I can't believe how much TC continues to pimp this person by showing his matches.

• Members

This guy is so Overhyped. Useless Patrick McEnroe is already saying he will win the French in 2 years. All his wins this year were 250s...he hasn't won a 500 yet much less a 1,000. I just saw he'll be seeded #6 at this weeks Indian Wells... talk about a depleted field.

Edited by Soapsuds