B&B: August 20th

• Members

I only saw the clips posted on Youtube, but I have to say, KKL didn't strike me as great as everyone is saying. Hearing people say, "hand her the Emmy" kind of shocks me. Yes, for her, she was doing good work. But it just doesn't compare to the other great actresses of daytime. I've always thought KKL was a fair actress, falling somewhere in the middle ground of acting - especially on B&B. She's nowhere as atrocious as "still wooden after 20 years" Ronn Moss, but she also doesn't hold a candle to the actors with great chops on the show - namely Susan Flannery, Lesli Kaye and Betty White.

It reminds me a lot of when "Evita" with Madonna came out. A lot of people were saying it was "the most amazing thing Madonna's ever done." And while I agreed - for Madonna - it was the best she'd been... it was clear a lot of actresses could have done it much better.

Could it be that it's the power of a rape storyline, particularly one in which KKL is a victim repeatedly because no one believes her, that's driving this reaction?

Again, props to KKL for going beyond what she's done before. But best of the year? Not even close. (And for a direct comparison, think of Marcy Walker's gut-wrenching performance when Eden was raped on "Santa Barbara." I think that's the year Walker won for Best Actress.)

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I love KKL and Brooke, but I wouldn't say the work she's done so far would guarantee her an emmy nomination. I think as Brooke deals with the aftermath, that could be spectacular.

I don't think Bell would actually have Steph say that Brooke deserved to be raped; but some of the stuff out of her mouth just make her look completely heartless and sadistic. I don't think Bell wants Steph unredeemable, but I don't think she'll ever realize the depth of harm she's done to Brooke or take any responsibility for what her machinations set in motion either.

• Members

Monday's show was so intense and disturbing on so many levels.

Andy is SO twisted, oh my. I thought KKL's acting was spectucalur: the fear, the horror...

The total OMG-moment was when Brooke took the ice pickle (?) and stabbed Andy in the breast. Wowza.

I was very impressed by this episode. It was dark, shocking and just flew by. Patrick Mulcahey wrote a wonderful - if you can say that considering the topic - script.

• Members

I hated the episode. It was very disturbing, I didn't like how it developed, and the dialogue was cr*ppy. Was that Patrick's? :huh: In the hands of a British writer, it would have been so much better.

Maybe I'm just under the impression of Stella's death on EastEnders. That's how you write hyperdrama.

• Members

The dialogue was Patrick's and I was a little underwhelmed. I think my problem with Monday's episode and Tuesday's as I watch it is the pacing.

The scenes lost a lot of their punch because they were interspersed with lame exposition between Eric/Stephanie and Nick/Taylor. If the dialogue had been better or the episode structured differently (as opposed to the usual A-B-C, A-B-C, A kind of breakdown), they might have added to the story. Same goes for the "look" of the episode. Going from the bleakness of Brooke's house to the bright lights of the Forresters and the cosiness of the Marone's. There shouldn't have been any opening sequence, just the title card at most. It came off as dated, by the numbers and a little tacky. I certainly wasn't blown away by it.

It reflects something I've been thinking lately about the production values of B&B. With its half hour format, LA setting, freedom and relatively high budget its the show that could most think outside the box but is too lazy to do so. Use of different music, outdoor shooting, location shoots would revitalise the show and indeed daytime.

• Members

I have only recently started watching B&B but I thought that the scenes were pretty intense. The actress who plays Brooke is doing a good job so far with the storyline. I think I am going to love to hate Stephanie. I watched B&B for a while many years ago and I don't remember her being that mean. What has happened to her?

I noticed that in the scene yesterday when Brooke was yelling at the social worker one side of her face doesn't move. Anyone know if she has had health issues or is it a case of too much Botox? In fact, most of the women on the show look like they have had a ton of plastic surgery. I know actors and actresses on soaps have work done and that is fine but it is really noticeable on B&B.

One other thing about B&B, I really like the sets that they use. Compared to AMC, they look very large and nicely decorated. They don't look as cheap as some of the other shows. I think I will try to watch the show for a while to see if I can get into again.

• Members

I agree with this one. I also considered it a bit tacky; actually this would have been the perfect moment for a silent logo followed by on-screen credits like "starring..."

But as I said I absolutely LOVED the dark tone, the contrast, the creepyness of the episode. I'm currently rewatching season 3 of David E. Kelley's masterpiece "The Practice" - which I uberlove - and B&B added itself so smoothly into my line-up. LOL!

@ WhyAMCwhy: Dunno about KKL. Haven't seen Tuesday yet. KKL has had work done and a little Botox from time to time but it's usually barely recognizable and just a very soft "refreshment".

• Members

Loose the starring. :D Just quiet introduction in the horror that is to follow. The evil in people and the darkness that remains after it.

I hated it. It was such an underachiever. And Patrick's? :huh: The only darkness I saw was that of Brooke's house, elsewhere the episode looked like the cheapest B-prod movie or something like that. And it wasn't creepy at all, it didn't give me the shivers, it was just so painful to watch, to see someone raped and destroyed... A story that could endear you to a character, that would remain in your heart forever, that would represent a crossroad in a character's life - I haven't seen a thing of that. The story was rushed, and one of its causes was human stupidity (Stephanie's), the worst possible choice.

• Members

I didn't like Monday's episode either. I thought it was just CREEPY that Brooke was just standing in her living room, having clearly been violated, and was standing there having a conversation with the guy. I thought THAT part was unnecessary and a lot of the dialogue came off as really melodramatic and forced(nothing intended by the latter statement). Especially when Brooke cried, "It was RAPE!" I mean, I'm aware I'm not in Brooke's situation, but if I were her and some guy had just came into my home uninvited and assaulted me, I wouldn't be standing in my living room after the fact having a conversation with him.

The better starting point would have been Tuesday's episode, after it had all happened...it's probably the only way I support flashbacks in soaps is through telling a traumatic event like rape. The flashbacks were creepy, but effective on Tuesday and reminded me a lot of the way Bianca's storyline was dealt with on ALL MY CHILDREN in 2003. They didn't show her talking to her attacker after the fact...they didn't show him leaving. They showed Bianca just sitting there after it had happened, crying and then spliced in small flashbacks after the fact. McTavish is garbage, but her breakdown and scriptwriters got this one right in '03. With B&B and it's "OMG, everything has to be at once" pacing, this comes off as incredibly plot-driven.

Lang is doing a good job with the material, but the real test will come during the aftermath. Whether or not Brad will want to deal with portraying this in a realistic manner(for some women, it takes a LONG time to even want to be intimate or even to date), that will be the thing. Brad really needs to be careful with how he deals with this story. But knowing Brad and his penchant for controversy, Brooke's Bedroom will be back in business with a full breakfast table in the living room(the latter a B&B staple) in no time.

• Members

This has been one of the most intense scene that I have seen KKL play, she has played it to the hilt. I can't wait for all trails to lead right back to Stephanie. Also I can't wait for Ridge to finally open up his eyes to see how far Stephanie was willing to go to hurt Brooke, her words are going to come back to haunt him big time.

• Members

I started to watch Monday and when Andy responded to Brooke when she said he raped her and that turned him on -- that made me sick. I have to admit, I did the fast skip on my DVR. When I saw Dorothy at her door, I thought there was hope, but it was clear when she saw the glasses where that was going. I decided to end the epi right there. Tuesday and Wednesday were better -- I only watched the scenes with Bridget and Brooke. I wish they had just started there from Friday. If anyone wants to know why soaps have problems -- it boils down to the continual protrayal of woman as victims. Guess what, writers, producers, etc. Today's woman does not relate to that! There are so many great stories that can be written without this type of victimization. (Of course, I also thought the rape of Bianca was the most disgusting story written in daytime.) B&B had me back for the past six months, but I'm not sure I want to see this play out.

• Members

As far as Andy standing there talking to Brooke after the fact, it was pretty clear that the guy just wouldn't leave. But she's been put in a very perverse situation. You'd think she would have just run out when she opened the door for Dorothy and screamed her head off. Why would she think withholding the rape is the ticket to getting her kids back, with all the blood and the bruises working in her favor? She allowed herself to project too far into the future and assume Andy was right about no one believing her. I guess you never know until you're the victim.

Archived