June 18-22, 2007

Toups

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Its not my problem that Andre decided to start a fight because I think its the viewers fault or at least partially their fault. I think it comes down to the fact they will never be satisfied.

And its not because of they complain. Its because they complain almost nonstop.

• Members

ATWT had a very good week (i was even watching this show) yet they dropped, at the GL forums almost everyone agrees that GL has improved a lot during these couple of weeks (jonathan's upcoming return and ''Reva's 'lost days' with Lizzie'' mystery, Dinah getting shot to save Mallet...) yet they drop -1. ....Nielsen ratings...are they believable?

• Members

Again....I made a general statement. YOU took it upon yourself to assume it was about you. I'm not going to engage in a fruitless discussion about this matter. All I will say is that the issue will be handled when I get home from work. I can guarantee that.

Moving on................

I guess OLTL managed to capitalize on the success of their musical.

• Members

The issue is that message boards are not a good indicator of the total viewership and ratings have shown that. Take for example last yeah when Hogan first took over the fans on this board were saying how good the show was..yet ratings continued to decline. On the other hand, a lot of posters on this board think y&R is terrible yet the ratings are virtually the same as they were three years ago. This is precisely why writers don't and should not listen to message boards when it comes to writing for their soaps.

• Members

You didnt' have to call her/him childish. I agree somewhat with you said....soaps do have a core audience..which makes up part of their ratings and they usually don't abandon their soaps. However I think that the other part of their ratings are made up of people who watch occassionlly like when they can or when something good is happening which explains the ups and downs soaps experience from week to week.

• Members

So sad for Days. The show is really very good right now for the most part. They seem to be really trying to bring back the show with Stefano, Tony, Anna, etc. Maybe the new characters like Jeremy are turning viewers off. Or maybe it could take months for the show to get some of the audience back if they ever do. They have to consistently maintain a high level of quality and balance and I wonder if they have enough in their budget to do that. They betrayed the audience's trust, drove them away, and broke their habit of watching the show and now they are paying the price.

Isn't Days going to be pre-empted soon for tennis?? For how long will it be off the air? That isn't going to help them either.

• Members

I do agree somewhat that the viewers are at fault sometimes. That's the major problem with fanbases. Just because they want to see a story go one way doesn't mean it's going to be someone else's fantasy storyline. If they're favourites aren't "happy", then the show sucks or is plotting to make another character more popular or what have you. That's overgeneralizing a bit but I've seen that kind of thinking soo many times. I do agree, though that if the writers aren't going to give the viewers what they want, at least write well.

As for Days going down..I can see why. There's too much Dimera/Brady stuff going on. Can we see other characters please?

ATWT..it's getting better but overall, I'm still not loving the show. People's motivations seem to flip flop every 3 seconds and there's something wrong when the best part of the show are the kids.

GL is also getting better but if you were watching as recently as a couple of years ago, why would you care about the characters on the show now? The writers better hope there are people stumbling upon the show and getting hooked on it since they've turned off so many longtime viewers.

• Members

Fans can't be blamed for the poor quality of the soaps. That's all the writers and producers and network folks. Fans also can't be blamed for lack of loyalty. We are the most loyal fans of any genre. Even if some soap was consistently excellent for a year (none have been or are capable of being in their current states IMO), fans may or may not watch. The shows have alienated some viewers to the point of no return. Others might come back but there's no guarantee.

I consider Friday Night Lights to be the best soap on TV and no one watches. It's an amazing show written so well. Ratings and quality don't go hand in hand.

There are less and less people who are willing to watch any TV show five days a week, especially when there is no guarantee beloved characters will be shown or the stories will make one iota of sense. If a show has a good week, I seriously doubt it will impact the ratings at all unless there was some extreme circumstance. Become consistently good and "buzz" worthy over a LONG period of time and maybe people will become interested again.

Keep writing embarrassing and out of touch with reality storylines and we'll probably be down to 3 TV soaps in a couple of years. As an optimist, I hope some visionary comes along to daytime and shakes things up and a new golden era begins.

Archived