June 18-22, 2007

Toups

• Members

The problem isn't Sheffer. You would of gotten a focus on the younger crowd with anyone due to the budget constraints. If you didn't know already the headwriters are basically told who they can write for and who they can't. Hall, Hogestyn, Alfonso and Reckell are at the high end of the pay scale while the young peopls like Melvin, Berris etc probably all cost combined what maybe one or two of them. They have realized that focus the young crowd wasn't paying off and have seemed to make steps in the right direction recently. With ABC everyone mostly blames Frons or Exec producers same with GL and even Y&R since LML is Exec Producer/Head writer. But with DAYS ppl don't necessarily look at the higher ups that have more to do with who gets used and what not. I care to believe Sheffer when he said he had little choice in the direction the last few months. Obviously we can still say Sheffer could of done a better job with what he had to work with since it was boring.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Exactly and just to add to that...I invite anyone who has a passion for writing to step into Hogan's shows. Imagine someone interfering in your work and firing people, telling you to use only certain people, and so on. That forces you to write things you don't wish to. It changes the plans you wanted to approach and you must adjust and so things you don't have a passion for. It's hard to make the best out of something if your heart isn't in it and that is what happened. Hogan's heart wasn't in January-April. That is why he didn't speak and why the writing lacked energy.

Now. I will say one thing. It is summer and it's been hot so people may be outside. That could be holding down numbers. Days may be doing this at the best and worst time of year. On one hand, they can try to bank on their annual summer ratings bump but the weather being nice and things going on could hinder that. Days saw increases through most of May and into June and has managed to hold on to about half of that. They went from a 1.9 to a 2.3 and now have a 2.1 so it's not all a failure. I will say that I think the ratings are at a wall because as good as the show is there isn't alot happening. People want action. Not everyone is like people on soap boards. They don't care about scenes and interactions and so on. They want things to happen. In May, Days had the LUMI wedding and the end of the island story. Plus, the beginning of the Dimera plot saw action with Sami being kidnapped and the attempts on her life. Now, it's alot of talk and just sneaking around. So many preemptions have hurt too and we still have some next week, although those may help but they could also hurt too.

I agree that fanbases play a big role and their nitpicking hinders soaps a great deal today. The fans that count in ratings don't think like us. I don't even think they care about writing because, if they did, Days would not be where it is.

I am hopeful that July and August will see gains. I remember last Fall when Days hit a wall after a good summer. The show gave fans lots of payoffs in September and the ratings did nothing. We all wondered why and I think we all have to realize it will take time. The ratings slowly got better around December but then we had the spiral. Days is doing better overall and demos are good. Hopefully, it continues to look up.

• Members

I am optimistic about the fall too. I think DAYS will get better in the fall. All comments from actors indicate that DAYS is slowly building up storylines that will go full speed into the fall. So Im not so worried about the rest of this year. Hogan Sheffer is doing OK for now I guess.

• Members

I read something on another board about SOD ratings being different than what is posted here. According to them, the ratings for June 4th for Y & R were 3.8 B&B 2.7 GH 2.4OLTL 2.2 AMC 2.1 ATWT 2.1 DOOL 2.0 GL 1.9 Passions 1.4.

Anyone know why there is a difference?

• Members

I'm not sure but I think it depends on what is included as there are several ways to examine the ratings. The SON ratings include the LIVE and same day ratings (which would include people who watched later that day/night on their DVR). Maybe the SOD ratings only include the LIVE ratings and exclude the DVR ratings?

• Members

No, because ABC issued a daytime ratings press release yesterday as they do every week:

ABC Daytime Programming Week of June 18, 2007

ABC'S DAYTIME FULL AND DRAMA LINEUPS RANK NO. 1 FOR THE WEEK

(BOTH ABC LINEUPS HAVE RANKED NO. 1 FOR 39 OUT OF 40 WEEKS

THIS SEASON AMONG WOMEN 18-49)

ABC'S FULL AND DRAMA LINEUPS RANK NO.1 SEASON TO DATE IN WOMEN 18-49

ABC'S FULL LINEUP IS UP 3% SEASON TO DATE AMONG TOTAL VIEWERS (MOST GROWTH)

ALL ABC DRAMAS WERE UP WEEK TO WEEK AMONG WOMEN 18-49,

WOMEN 18-34, FEMALE TEENS AND TOTAL VIEWERS

"THE VIEW" SHOWS WEEK-TO-WEEK GROWTH AMONG WOMEN 18-49

"THE VIEW" IS ALSO UP YEAR TO YEAR AND SEASON TO DATE

AMONG WOMEN 18-49, WOMEN 18-34 AND TOTAL VIEWERS

THE WEEK OF "ONE LIFE TO LIVE'S" "PROM NIGHT: THE MUSICAL," THE DRAMA WAS UP MORE THAN ANY OTHER DAYTIME PROGRAM WEEK TO WEEK AMONG WOMEN 18-49

(+10%), WOMEN 18-34 (+9%), FEMALE TEENS (+71%) AND TOTAL VIEWERS (+8%)

"ONE LIFE TO LIVE" DELIVERED ITS BEST FEMALE TEEN NUMBERS IN FIVE MONTHS

Week of June 18, 2007

ABC's daytime Drama lineup was No. 1 for the week among Women 18-49, with a 1.5 rating and a 10 share, delivering 990,000 Women 18-49 for the week of June 18, 2007, and was up 9% vs. the prior week (the only network up). The lineup outperformed CBS by 15% and NBC by 26%. Also, week to week the lineup was up 7% among women 18-34 and up 34% among Female Teens. Among Total Viewers, the Drama lineup was up 6% versus last week.

ABC's Full daytime schedule was No. 1 for the week among Women 18-49, with a 1.5 rating and a 10 share, delivering an average audience of 960,000 Women 18-49, and was up 8% versus the prior week (the only network up). The lineup outperformed CBS by 16% and NBC by 22% among Women 18-49. Also, the lineup was up 2% among Women 18-34 and up 26% among Female Teens versus last week. Among Total Viewers, the Full lineup is up 3% season to date (the only network up) and up 5% versus last week.

ABC delivered four out of the top six shows and won three of its four time periods in Women 18-49:

* "The View" ranked No. 5* for the week (tied with "All My Children"), earning a 1.3 rating and a 10 share, delivering an average audience of 870,000 Women 18-49. The program was up 6% vs. the same week last year and 3% versus last week among Women 18-49. "The View" beat the average of the combined half-hours of "the Price is Right" by 20%, "As the World Turns" by 23% and "Guiding Light" by 22% among Women 18-49. Season to date, "The View" is up 17% among Women 18-49. Among Women 18-34, the talker is up 4% versus the same week last year and up 20% season to date.

Among Total Viewers, "The View" had a 1.2 rating and an 8 share, delivering 3.4 million Total Viewers for the week. The talker is up 23% vs. the same week last year and 3% versus last week. Season to date, "The View" has a 1.3 rating and a 9 share, delivering 3.6 million Total Viewers, and is up 19% season to date.

* "General Hospital" was the No. 2-ranked program for the week, with a 1.7 rating and an 11 share, delivering 1.12 million Women 18-49, and was up 8% versus last week. "GH" beat "Days of Our Lives" by 22% and also outdelivered time period competitor "Guiding Light" by 56% among Women 18-49. The drama was also up 3% among Women 18-34, and 13% among Female Teens versus last week.

* "One Life to Live" was the No. 3-ranked program the week of "Prom Night: the Musical," with a 1.5 rating and a 10 share, delivering 970,000 Women 18-49. "OLTL" was up 10% versus last week (the most growth of any program). Also, "OLTL" outperformed time period competitors "As the World Turns" by 37% and "Passions" by 47% for the week. The drama was up 9% among Women 18-34 and 71% among Female Teens versus last week - the most growth of any program in both demos. Additionally, this week marked "OLTL's" best Female Teen delivery in five months.

* "All My Children" was the No. 5*-ranked program of the week (tied in rating with "The View"), with a 1.3 rating and a 9 share, delivering 882,000 Women 18-49. The drama was up 8% versus last week among Women 18-49, 8% among Women 18-34 and 31% among Female Teens.

Season to date, ABC Daytime's drama lineup ranks No. 1, with a 1.7 rating and a 10 share, delivering 1.1 million Women 18-49 - outperforming CBS by 17% and NBC by 20% in actuals. In the Full lineup ABC Daytime is No. 1, with a 1.6 rating and an 11 share, delivering 1.08 million Women 18-49, outperforming CBS by 19% and NBC 19% in actuals.

Following are the Daytime drama and full Daytime ratings averages for the week:

DAYTIME DRAMAS:

TOTAL VIEWERS WOMEN 18-49

No. 1 CBS 3,593,000 No. 1 ABC 1.5/10

No. 2 ABC 3,187,000 No. 2 CBS 1.3/9

No. 3 NBC 2,235,000 No. 3 NBC 1.2/8

FULL DAYTIME:

TOTAL VIEWERS WOMEN 18-49

No. 1 CBS 3,884,000 No. 1 ABC 1.5/10

No. 2 ABC 3,251,000 No. 2 CBS 1.3/9

No. 3 NBC 2,235,000 No. 2 NBC 1.2/8

http://www.abcmedianet.com/web/progcal/dis...px?id=062807_36

• Members

Thanks Coffeebean.

The reason I said it is because there are daily numbes floating around the web that would add up to the weekly average, and they make the musical look like a minor success, but no one seems willing or able to confirm them.

Archived