ABC: Banned hello and goodbye parties?

• Members

I'm not sure if this is GH-specific. I thought I read that Connie Fletcher and Teri Ivens both got goodbye parties but maybe they were informal and done in someone's dressing room.

From SOW:

While Stuart Damon's (Alan) GH castmates want to give him a proper send-off, they'll have to proceed with caution. "Stuart said he doesn't want any fanfare, which I understand because of the circumstances," says Leslie Charleson (Monica). Besides "we used to have hello parties and goodbye parties but they have banned those kind of gestures. So the convesations have been like: 'We know we're not allowed to have a cake onstage, but can we sneak Stuart a cake in the makeup room?' Someone joked, 'I don't know. If they see a cake, they may shoot on sight!'"

Good lord. What would be the reason to ban these things? ABC Daytime is such a miserable dictatorship.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Lol you might have something with Frons and wanting to ensure his actors/actresses don't gain any weight.

Although (and hopefully this won't start a war in this thread) I doubt Maurice would bother showing up to a farewell party for Damon.

• Members

The party ban has probably been in effect for awhile (ya know, a $20 cake would put a major dent in ABC's budget), and it's up to the actors to arrange for private farewell parties away from the studio. On her hotline, Robin Strasser talked of hosting one at her home for (his name escapes me now) the guy who played Hugh on OLTL. Catherine Hickland used to be the one there who would arrange quite a few. I have clippings of one she put together for Florenzia Lozano. Ty Treadway said she threw one for him on both occasions he was fired.

It's ridiculous ABC didn't allow anything for Julia or Stuart.

• Members

This is just ridiculous. When someone like a thirty or twenty nine year vet is leaving, you host a goodbye party for them. It would be rude not to. I mean, if it really hurts the budget then let the fans pitch in! I mean, together we could all throw a big party for Julia Barr or Stuart Damon I bet.

Archived