Y&R: Kathrine's secret reveled

• Members

I think, from an outsider standpoint, why I'm so miffed about this is because they could have chosen something else to re-ignite this feud. Instead of bringing on another Phillip III, why not use Phillip IV? They seem to want someone else for Colleen, Lily and all the younger folks to interact with. This character could potentially be the same age(or slightly older) as this younger set of characters.

When anyone rewrites hsitory (especially hsitory that viewers saw by way of a baby switch, a paternity switch, or a gruesome on-screen death), it totally invalidates what viewers have seen before. Will the memory of the "fake" Phillip III even matter after they find the first one? What happens to Phillip IV? Does he not receive his trust fund because he technically isn't a Chancellor?

I think if rewriting history can be avoided, it should be. In this case, I don't find it completely necessary. But, then again, you guys watch Y&R WAY more than I do, so I suppose it makes sense to you guys.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well, it wouldn't necessarily make sense to someone who has only watched for a few years or so and only know the show in its current form. I've been an off-and-on watcher since approximately 1993 (watched frequently with the grandmas until about '99 and then started watching on my own in '03), so I know that Katherine and Jill could not stand each other for a very long time, therefore I'd understand how and why Katherine would switch Jill's baby.

I do agree, though, that if history doesn't have to be rewritten, then it shouldn't be. And usually, there's no real reason for history to HAVE to be rewritten.

I watched part of the 1975 episode that's on YouTube today, and wouldn't it be just a fricken TREAT if Julianna McCarthy would return as Liz Foster, Jill's mom? I mean, I loved it when she showed up for Kay's intervention in 2004, and she's really good in the first segment of this 1975 episode and it'd make sense for her to return during this storyline.

I always wonder what would have happened had the show stayed focused on the Brookses and the Fosters...

• Members

You raise some good questions with your post. It depresses me to think that Nina's son wouldn't really be Jill's Grandson, and to think that the memory of the "fake" Phillip could be totally forgotten seems like a waste in a way. Going through with this story will cut any family ties Nina and Phillip IV have in Genoa City, unless Flo is still around somewhere ....

It doesn't make sense to me, I'm all for using a show's history to further current stories; but there are some stories that shouldn't be re-written or changed......IMHO

• Members

I'm only a casual Y&R viewer but this spoiler really doesn't bother me. I think there's a difference between rewriting history and filling it in. The Maryanne Carruthers [!@#$%^&*] on GL couldn't have happened. It didn't work in the timeframe. Katherine drunkenly swapping Phillip at birth could very easily have happened and it makes sense as far as motivation is concerned. I actually think this is one of Latham's smarter moves.

It rips apart the Katherine/Jill truce and gives the chance to have a biological Chancellor back on the show for them to squabble over. It's not like Latham's dragged the original Phillip out of the grave and made up some contrived [!@#$%^&*] about him being in a coma, Katherine sending him off to Switzerland for years etc etc.

The story does also give a perfect "in" for Nina and Phillip but whether they'll go there I don't know.

• Members

:lol:

I've got to agree with you there. A naive part of me hopes that she has a root round the archives before she does this story because if she fleshes it out it really could mend a lot of the damage that the mother/daughter story did.

I should add that until Jeanne Cooper comes out and beats the story down, I don't think there's much to be concerned about. She won't play [!@#$%^&*] willingly.

• Members
Word. But unfortunately I doubt it, unless she asks Ed Scott or someone who has been with the show for years. The reason why the mother/daughter thing went over bad was the aftermath. Nothing was fleshed out, and there was no angst, nothing. I wouldn't mind the magnificent Juliana McCarthy (Jill's REAL mama) coming back too.

LoL, yep Jeanne is one of a kind.

I wish Rose Deville woul come back. Love me some Darlene Conley! If Nina comes back she deserves a big and fun story, because her last few months on the show was lame.

Archived