Heroes / Heroes Reborn: Discussion Thread

Toups

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Members

The first season was very good — although even then I was disappointed that Kring couldn't figure it out himself, but that Lindelof had to tell him that the guy can actually fly — but then the second season lost it. Completely. Since the first episode.

It all became cheap, lazy storytelling... Everyone having abilities, what happened actually didn't happen and so on.

However, whereas many were disappointed in blowing up in mid air, I wasn't. I really don't know what people expected. :unsure: I haven't heard a single person trying to describe a possible, alternative superb ending. All b!tch, but no one offers anything else.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator

So of course the season finale was good because, once again as I've said before, the best episodes are when everyone gets together to work as a team. Now that Claire has exposed herself, I think next season (if there is one) will be about co-existing with humans. I want to see the 'Heroes' go up against villains in 1-2 episode arcs. Will Tim Kring finally get that he needs to put allthe characters together? I doubt that. *sigh* If there's a next season, it's going to be like this season - the first and last episodes will be the only interesting/good ones. The show needs to be X-Men-fied.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Administrator

http://www.deadline.com/2010/05/nbc-cancels-heroes/

I toldja there were 3 ways NBC was going to go, and we'd know as soon as today if cancellation was the option chosen, and it's now official.

---------------------------------------------------

Well, at least we had 1 really good season (the first). Damn you Tim Kring for sucking and not understanding the "superhero world". At least it's finally over.

• Members

Oh well its no big loss. The show sucks with each season getting progressively worse than the previous one. I can imagine it was really expensive to produce and the numbers were dropping to the point where it wasnt feasible to keep it

• Members

It couldn't happen to a more deserving piece of [!@#$%^&*].

Heroes was never any good. It subsisted on geek goodwill, from genre fans desperate for weekly superhero-themed content. Its plot and characters were always skeletal, cardboard, totally driven by the whim of the moment.

Shows like this and other failures such as Flash Forward are the ultimate end result of the over-decompressed, "viral-marketing-first, characters-and-well-thought-out-story-last" hype machine programming JJ Abrams began wreaking across American television with Alias. Just like Alias, all of these shows talk a great game to hook viewers, but in the end they can't come together as the sum of their disparate, random, cryptic parts. They all end in cheap, bottom-barrel budget affairs that collapse into run-of-the-mill, third-string stories that do not honor the immense hype and bizarre series of red herrings that were used to string the audience along for years. Lost is no different. It is not a smart show. It is made for lazy people who want to feel smart by going on Wikipedia and reading about Philosophy 101 topics whose names got dropped into the show willy-nilly. That's not being smart. That's cribbing.

We've gone from quality TV to imitation quality - shows so byzantine and up their own ass with their own lingo, viral tie-ins, spin-offs, networks of "clues" and hollow allusions to other, better stories that they can't form a single original idea of their own. Here's hoping that with the death of all the above-mentioned programs, the new decade will lead to something more honest and less poseur for our primetime genre entertainment. These shows were perfect for the George W. Bush era - a bunch of incompetent boobs getting high off their own farts and imperiously assuring us that everything is fine and they have it all under control.

/soapbox

• Members

I think it also depends on how good the creator is at making fans believe the show knows what it's doing. Even if hte show doesn't, someone who is good at conning can make viewers go along. Tim Kring didn't seem very good at conning viewers or at producing good television.

Very rarely has any show started off as big as this one and then piss it all away. This show was supposed to be a franchise for NBC. They were doing a spinoff, and everything. Now it's likely to be forgotten within a few years. In the end it was about as relevant as Powers of Matthew Starr.

• 3 months later...

Archived