9 years since Princess Diana died

MarlandRulez

• Members

I think Princess Diana's death was one of those 'Where were you when you were told?' memories. It had such Greek tragedy value to it, which made it even more surreal. The thought of such a princess of all our ideals meeting such a horrific end in the glare of attention is something you could write - its almost a perfect drama.

Its amazing how one person can symbolise so much for the people of the world.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atay0vC_F24

Diana, you still captivate us!

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Wow....9 years? :(

That was a Saturday, and it was a terrible day for us. First, my mom's best friend called our house at 6am to tell us that her husband had succombed to his long battle with cancer the night before, and his wake would be that night.

Secondly, right after lunch, we saw police cars and ambulances drive into our neighbor's driveway. We were close with this neighbor, she was a little old lady that had lived there all my life. In fact, she used to babysit my sisters and I occasionally. Turns out, she had a massive stroke, collapsed and died immediately. :(

So the day was pretty sad at our house to begin with. :( We go to the wake that night, come home and see that Diana was killed. By that time, I was literally in shock. :(

• Members

:( yah I had just gotten home from being out and turned the tv on and couldn't believe what I was seeing.

I stayed up all that night first to find out if she was ok (cause she was still alive when I first turned on the tv) but then I just couldn't sleep after I'd heard she died. It was so sad.

She was a great woman.

JFK JR's death hit me hard too and I remember where I was and who I was with when I heard of his death.

• Members

oh my god, Passions fans, help me out here and post the scene of Sheridan on the phone to Diana the night she died. It was totally disgustingly camp and deplorable to do that! Kind of hilarious though.

"DIANA! Where are you?!!! Oooh, the Ritz! Are you and Dodi going to stop by my opulent penthouse? Fabulous. Oh Diana..... >>Diana hangs up<<<..... be careful."

• Members

I'll never forget. I live in Texas and my husband and I had flown to Maine to visit my granddaughter. He had gone to bed early and the three girls, me, dauther-in-law and granddaughter were watching a movie. Just as she was turning off the video to turn off the TV for the night, Princess Di's photograph was on the screen with the year she was born and died and we stood there with our mouths open, total shock and disbelief. It was a terribly sad event and we were flying home the early morning so at the airport that was all everyone seemed to be talking and reading about.

• Members

I didn't find out until the morning after.

I woke up and my parents and sister were flabbergasted. I was eight at the time and while I'd seen Diana before I had no idea who she REALLY was or what she represented.

The loss of Mother Theresa was devastating.

• Members

I remember I was 5 months pregnant and laying in bed with dh watching SNL and the news broke on the bottom of the screen. I woke him up and we watched all the news stations for hours hearing all the details.

I was so sad because I thought Diana was such a great person, and felt so sorry for her sons.

• Members

it must have been so surreal for you to watch it all happen when you were expecting a new life to come into the world.

this is a great 3 part summary of that awful week

The aftermath

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYdBnJDBcQA

Diana's brother gives his legendary eulogy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYlNhLACB4g

the climax of the funeral, Diana's body is taken back to her ancestral home in Northamptonshire:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnE0xwnKCpQ

• Members

I was at my Great Uncle's apartment and my Dad walked in. He said, "Princess Diana died". I didn't believe him and thought that was a horrible thing for him to stay but then we turned on the radio. I was devastated. She was a flawed, but good and genuine human being.

The images of the mangled car haunted me. I had so many nightmares.

The outpouring of love was AMAZING! I particluarly enjoyed her brother's eulogy in the face of the Palace's aloofness. I think they may have been involved in the "accident".

Archived