DAYS: Tomlin/Whitesell OUT! Higley/Griffith IN!

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Oh, hon, you must have slipped and gotten an un-diagnosed concussion or something if you think they did one hell of a job with YNR. :lol:

Actaully, scratch that -- they did do a HELL of a job on Y&R. To hell and beyond, they took it.

• Members

OMFG.

I've been around for Dena's two "Days" stints and her OLTL. This woman is the worst. Once upon a time during her first go as DOOL's hw, I defended what I believed to be her good intentions, albeit awful execution (despite she f'd my fav.'s, Jack & Jennifer). But OLTL proved how inept, deluded, and, quite frankly, vindictive she was. Dena 2.0 at "Days" was equally shitty, but someone obviously helped her significantly in 2009, which I'll admit was well-plotted. But her vision for everyone, save for (mostly) Nicole, is just em effin' wrong. MarDar felt like Corday proteges to me in the sense that they repeated so many failed stories and couldn't string a story together to save their lives. And Higley and MarDar both missed every beat possible, and the interactions MarDar featured (save for Will/Sami/Marlena/Carrie) were random and revisionist (Sami, Carrie, Lexie, and Jenn lunching anyone?!?). TomSell f'd me over as a viewer in terms of callously discarding Jack, Carrie, and Billie, but I'll defend them like I'll defend Sheffer & Kelly--they usually play all the right beats and have restored such heart to the show, even if they get a lot of stuff wrong. And honestly, TomSell's biggest problem is the Jonas', who Dena equally loved and prioritized. There were things I enjoyed during Dena 2.0, but it was mostly for the sake of parody like the happy accident that was Chloe/Nicole and finally making the Chloe/Daniel story work with the baby story with Carly/Nate/Mel/Phil/Steph/Kayla. I will admit that "Days"needed to pass the torch from B&H, J&J, and J&M, which Higley finally succeeded doing with Rafe/Sami/EJ/Nicole/Brady (however bad this group could be at times). But TomSell restored such quality to this show (along with Broderick), even if they were boring. Episodes like Christmas 2013 make me devestated that they won't be writing the 50th. sad.png

• Members

What was her writing for Nicole toward the end of her last stint? I remember Nicole moving on from EJ, then they were very quickly put back together by MarDar for the "grief sex."

I do like Nicole so it would be nice if someone cared about actually writing for her.

• Members

Call me a conspiracy theorist but with Corday launching his NetSoap website soon he will need a show to build around so he goes and hires Higley to help finish it off. so NBC has no choice but to cancel the show thus allowing him to move to move it to his NetSoap website. where he will rebuild the show like PP tried to do with AMC and OLTL. just a theory

• Members

I guess that Tomlin/Whitsell had something in their contracts that if numbers didn't get to certain targets in x amount of time they might be out? Or if that isn't specifically stated,then is used as a yardstick?

Days numbers have been ordinary for months now so the obvious thing to do is change writers.Now why Higley was chosen again is anyone's guess.Are they deluded enough to look at the figures she acheived and think she can get them back to that level? Or maybe on a professional level she is very easy to work with.

I still don't get why being so many months ahead is effective budget wise?How did they get that far ahead in the first place?Do they work intensively for a few months and then have a few months off?

• Members

I'm still boggled by Dena Higley's rehiring...did this show learn nothing from her catastrophic 2003 run or from her 2010-2011 solo absurdness? First time it lead to JER's rehiring. Second time it lead to that very embarrassing reboot farce. I suppose the third time is cancellation.

That said, I never did stop watching the show during both of Higley's regimes or during the Higley/Whitesell year which is when I believe the baby-switch happened and I could appreciate Sami/Rafe/EJ/Nicole. No, I blame that on Poulter and Thomas when I finally had to quit Days. On the flip side, Tomlin and Whitesell's work wasn't enough to bring me back full time either.

Archived