The "foreign soaps" topic

Huntress

• Replies 620
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

'Ugly Betty' is the american version of a very huge latin american hit, the Colombian soap opera called 'Betty la fea', it broke all the rating meters in puerto rico, venezuela, argentina so on and on.... THis soap was also remaked in Mexico under a different name a year ago. Most latin american soaps are shown (translated or with closed caption) in Eastern europe and some european and asian countries as well and they do have a greater following than translated american shows like CSI, friends...

• Members

There's been quite a hullabaloo over here today as the BBC have lost the rights for Neighbours after 21 years. They balked at the £300 million-for-8-years price tag and withdrew. Five (who air Home and Away) have stepped in and nabbed it up. They'll start airing it when the BBC's contract runs out next April. The increased money's going towards a huge revamp of the show including filming in HD.

EastEnders has been getting a lot of press too with this £1 million stunt they've done. The show's not been too bad of late with Tanya getting pregnant. Max mentioned the other day that Jim had him locked in a coffin as a teenager for having a black mate and made him think he'd been buried alive :huh:. Kind of out there but the acting was top notch.

• Members

I'm behind. At the point I've seen Deano is back-burnered and Honey kept the baby. So Billy & Honey haven't been on a lot. Billy's having financial troubles, not telling Honey, and Honey is pregnant again.

But a lot might have happened over the 5 weeks I haven't seen yet.

• Members

Deano had a fair bit to do a couple of weeks back with Kevin's wedding to Denise and Shirley's involvement in it all.

The down's plot has been pretty much wrapped up now. They have the baby and it's a happy ending though I presume she won't end up having this new baby. It would seem a little tacky. Not to mention that three of the female characters are currently pregnant.

• Members

I'm not sure what's going on with May or why she's taking the pills. I've only seen about two episodes in the last two weeks and there seems to be a bigger picture to it.

But yeah, it is all camp as. Particularly as the cliched fall down the stairs amounted to pretty much nothing.

Archived