The "foreign soaps" topic

Huntress

• Members

Yeah, well, executive producer has the most power, probably. But I think she's writing the stories together with Treadwell-Collins and Delow.

As for Christmas, murders all over the place. A different kind of plot would be more interesting.

I thought Pauline was going to die in a fire or something.

• Replies 620
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

We've just had the house fire. This started the ball rolling for her exit....

- She overheard Martin, Sonia, Joe and Dot discussing about Martin and Sonia getting back together, and weather to tell Pauline. Pauline overheard them agreeing they should all keep it a secret.

- The fire happend, Pauline just sat on her bed, as the smoke engulfed her room wanting to die. Martin rescued her, at the hospital she was hinting at them they could tell her anything thats on there minds but didnt.

- Pauline gathers Martin and Joe round to tell them she has a brain tumour thats too far gone.

- Ian tells Pauline what he has in store for Jane at the "wedding", so Pauline tells Ian the lie about her tumour.

- Ian ends up forgiving Jane, Ian goes round to tell Pauline she should come clean, but Pauline tells him to go to hell.

As for how she dies, i think someone must found out that she doesnt have a tumour - or that she confesses all.

• Members

Sadly Home and Away and the other aussie dramas go on break for December and most of January.

But Home and Away's 2006 season finale was great!

The town got together and held the christmas pagent afterall with Colleen being her usual crazy self at the helm.

Rachel and Kim(who cant have his own kids) returned baby Joe to his birth mother (boo! she was a ho), when Kit returns to the Bay at the very end, pregnant with Kim's baby.

Ash left Martha to be with his mom for christmas ... aka his wife and two kids.

And Sally and Brad finally expressed their feelings for each other, only for her to be left for dead after Rocco stabbed her outside the school.

Thus leaving the big question for the 2007 season ... does 18 year vet Sally live to see it? The montage at the very end to Evermore's Lights Surrouding You showing her on screen moments from childhood to now makes one wonder.

2006 Cliffhanger:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20OFPHYm7sA

Sally Remembered:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fXYt6rkKMQ

• Members

definitely!

My intro to Home and Away was 2000. Sally was getting married to Kieran, who was playing Gypsy Nash on the side and Colleen Smart was having none of it. :lol: And the Sutherland family moved to the Bay. I miss those days. But getting to see it via downloads this year has brought it all back. Home and Away's still pretty great.

It's such a shock to watch the Aussie soaps compared to ours here. Broadcast in Hi-Def, digitally shot, widescreen, locations, cameras that move and use cranes, casting directors that seek talent as well as looks, etc.

• Members

Seriously! I find that it really "grounds" the SLs. Obviously there are some soapy plots, but every plot point has to have a modicum of believeability -- and be driven by the characters, I find. It doesn't have the soapy incidental music or interior scenes and lighting of a US soap -- which I really enjoy -- but on the other hand it is a complete breath of fresh air with its more relatable characters and locations. Plus no one character ever dominates the show, which means that nobody is ever bigger than the show itself and recasts are kept to an absolute minimum.

Right now, I am getting into an Aussie show called "Headland." It was on during H&A's hiatus in late 2005/early 2006. Unfortunately, it didn't pull in the ratings and was cancelled after about 5 months, but the allowed the writers to tie up SLs and stuff, apparently. It stars the dude who played Kane on H&A. It's about a group of people involved with the university in some "headland" part of Sydney. Um, I'm really enjoying it!

On H&A, I'm seeing some UK stuff once in a while. It seems that Matilda is at Eating Disorders Camp. Haven't seen Alf "Streuth, woman!" Stewart in a while. Sally just failed getting promoted to Headmistress. Amanda and Irene are fighting for Belle's attentions. Oh, and "ballsy" Martha still annoys the sh!t outta me.

• Members

Matilda needs to die :lol:

Alf was gone for a few chunks of 2006. First when he was sent to prison for the election fraud, and then when he went to the USA. The USA one was after the chopper crash, he went to tell Martha's mother and had heart trouble so he was explained as in hospital a few weeks after she was found alive.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Well the Christmas day soaps aired. It would seem a lot of people are dissapointed of the Christmas day episode of EastEnders.

Here is the moment she collapses in the Square. The user has added the sad theme. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfdKRIOQD2M

I was really looking foward to the Xmas day ep but it was a let down, oh well. Good job i watched Emmerdale then! That was fantastic. Tom King got married, his sons brawling at the reception. Bob had an opertunity to kill Tom, but bottled out of it. Most of the people who attended the wedding were outside to watch the fireworks - but there is a handful missing. Tom King is then pushed from the first floor window of Home Farm and dies, we then see the suspects leaving drunk, or running from Home Farm - so who did it?

Coronation Street - a good episode, not over hyped and was nice to watch Demon David in action.

Hollyoaks aired last night, two episodes back to back. And for me, this has to be one of the best soap episodes ive seen, the second episode. Max had just found out that Clare had been meddling with his medication, but Clare found out he knew. He planned to escape from the cottage, but evil Clare locked Tom (Max's little brother) in the car, and threw Toms coat into the lake. Clare comes in screaming, and an ill Max dives into the lake. Clare standing watching, with an evil smile, as Max drifts off. O.B (Maxs best friend arrives) and punches Clare and dives in to save Max - but is it too late?

(Channel 4 issued a warning before Part 2 of the episode, to warn that Clare's final plan was to unfold to basically make us aware we may find scenes which may disturb us.)

• Members

Headland was originally planned as a H&A spin-off. But that Idea was dropped when Five (UK) declined to co-produce the show with Seven (Australia). Channel Four stepped in, which meant Headland lost the spin-off title. Headland was axed by Seven and failed to air in it's entirety.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

So ... I've actually been watching the last couple weeks worth of EastEnders. It's been quite good, and I'm finding myself getting drawn in when I really dont want to!

Coming from the perspective of seeing mostly US soaps ... I thought the christmas episode was very good. The sad theme added in that vid definitely did enhance the effect of Pauline's death.

The acting from everyone involved in Pauline's death story has been top notch.

I like the story with Bradley, his dog-Father and wife played by Jo Joyner (who I loved on Doctor Who!) and that slutty Lindsay Lohan-esq girl. I'm still fuzzy on names.

I also like the story with that mother that's come back, the people involved in that.

• Members
Bradley was much better when he arrived he's more of a Ian Beale clone now.Bradley's father is called Max and his wife is named Tanya.I like Tanya but I can't stand Max he's supposed to be the next Den Watts but he misses the witty and the charm not to mention he looks more like Phil Mitchell.The Lindsay Lohan-esq girl is called Stacey (played by Lacey Turner) and I love her character.

It's my favourite storyline right now I especially love Kevin Wicks (the dad played by Phil Daniels) and Shirley Carter (the mum that came back,played by Linda Henry) and I can't wait to find out Kevin's dark secret.

Pauline's death and the aftermath has been handled very well.Too bad the ending of the original episode didn't have the "Julia theme" music Pauline was one of the vets on EE she would have deserved that music even lesser characters such as Dennis Rickman got the "Julia theme" and it's a shame Pauline didn't! :angry:

We saw Sonia hit Pauline but I don't think that caused her death.Personally I think it was Joe.Remember the knock on the door and Pauline answering that she changed her mind because she thought it was a cab?I think it wasn't a cab but that it was Joe and his reaction to her death made me even sure of that.

Archived