The "foreign soaps" topic

Huntress

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 620
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

<H1 class=heading>Eastenders Caesarean scene sparks complaints</H1><H2 class="sub-heading padding-top-5 padding-bottom-15"></H2>Times Online Nearly 200 viewers complained about last night's episode of EastEnders when a pregnant woman was chained to a bed and told she would be forced to have a Caesarean section.

Kara Tointon's character Dawn Swann feared for her life after Dr May Wright, played by Amanda Drew, threatened to cut out her unborn baby.

Dawn, who is pregnant by May's husband Rob Minter, eventually managed to escape after grabbing the scalpel that the GP had been going to use to carry out the procedure.

The BBC received 183 complaints while media watchdog Ofcom received 12.

Ratings for the episode peaked at 9.3 million and an EastEnders spokeswoman said the complaints represented a "very small percentage" of the audience.

"Last night's episode involving the characters Dawn, May and Rob reached the climax that many viewers would have been anticipating.

"We are sorry if some people were offended by this drama unfolding, and will be addressing complaints fully in due course," the BBC said.

Ofcom received more complaints about last night's Channel 4 documentary Cutting Edge: The Dangerous School For Boys, in which the head of a Catholic boarding school inexpertly killed a rabbit.

• Administrator

I started to research Tammin Sursok :wub: after reading that she would be joining Y&R and it led me to some Home & Away clips, and now I think I'm addicted to it. LOL It's so much better than american soaps right now.

This clip of Noah's funeral is really good: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vomM26Rot1U

And that led me to some of the stalker clips.

What year was this storyline?

I also just saw a clip for the 2006 finale....why did that dude stab Sally? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTOfHwH1cuM

Did the 2007 season start yet?

• Administrator

I just spent the last 45 minutes watching Hayley/Noah clips and music montages! They're so good!

Damn, I wish I kept on watching H&A when it aired in Canada. I stopped after a couple of weeks. :(

• Members

From what I've seen, Eastenders, Home & Away, Neighbours, Coronation Street, Casualty, & Holby City are all much better than American soaps.

I wish they'd all air in America. I get Eastenders only on Dish Network on pay per view but wish it would get better airing in another manner.

The rest I just want to see regularly. Now there's another Casualty spinoff called Holby Blue. I've never seen it.

I have a couple weeks of Hollyoaks to watch now and catch up.

• Members

I've seen a couple of weeks of Hollyoaks now.

It's got a more impressive film look like prime time. It even looks better than Eastenders. It doesn't have quite as diverse age groups being a youth soap. The plots are more similar in some ways to American soaps than Eastenders or Corrie. But in so many ways it is years beyond the American shows. The plots aren't stuck in the past like ours. It's not about "who's the daddy" or all the other tired retreads the American soaps keep doing over & over & over.

It's also got a lot more characters and rotates through them all quickly like Eastenders instead of banging on with the same few "front burner" characters as the American shows do way too much.

The other big plus is like the other UK soaps and the Aussie ones it's only 1/2 hour which causes a lot less filler & more opportunity to have impact with the time it has.

At first look I don't like it as well as Eastenders. Or even as well as the spinoff BBC America dumped all too quickly, Hollyoaks: In the City.

But it's a vast improvement on the U.S. shows.

I am having lots of trouble keeping the characters straight and figuring out a lot of what's going on.

• Members

Me again and my report from EastEnd, a friend just streamlined two episodes, one written by Nicholas Hicks-Beach and the other by Ian Kershaw. The plots are all about f*cking - Sean f*cked Carly, then he f*cked Chelsea, then Carly again, then Chelsea in Tanya's salon. And Rob f*cked May on the desk in her office... Great episodes, though, beautiful dialogue and the plot wasn't that bad. Rob proposed to Dawn...

• Administrator

So I started watching Home and Away starting with 2007 season (I'm on episode 4374....watching as many episodes that are on YouTube) and naturally I'm interested in the behind the scenes info. I'm wondering if "Script Producer" is the equivalent to "Head Writer" in American soaps.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/a63042/o...e-and-away.html

Original script producer returns to 'Home and Away'

Wednesday, June 27 2007, 18:11 BST

By Kris Green, Soaps Editor

One of Home and Away's first script producers, Bevan Lee, is returning to his post for the first six months of the show's 20th year.

Sarah Walker – the Aussie soap's current script producer – finishes her phase at the helm of storylining, with her ideas taking Australian viewers up until the end of the year.

Speaking of his return, he told BacktotheBay: "I wanted to come back to pay honor to the show I love so much and plot material that will pay strong tribute to the first twenty years. I don't want to honour the 20th year in just one big event; I want to pay tribute throughout the entire year by referencing the show's history in as many ways as I can."

And of what's to come, he continued: "My material will start with a very startling cliffhanger at the end of this year that will make regular viewers re-evaluate something that they have always taken for granted about one of the characters in the show. This cliffhanger will turn the life of that character on its head and will lead to one of the major stories of 2008."

He added: "Unless I'm mistaken, this cliffhanger will maks the jaws of those who have watched the show from the beginning well and truly drop. And the story will lead to the return of many old faces to the show at various stages through 2008."

Lee was initially drafted in to re-hash Seven Network's disastrous pilot of the programme and returned to the show in 1996, working through to 2004.

UK viewers will see the 'end-of-year' cliffhanger in the spring of next year.

• Members

There's some version of the Home & Away pilot on one of the compilation dvds. I saw that pilot. The initial vision of the show has got to be light years from what it must have become.

It had something to do with this family who had adopted a bunch of foster kids who were "problems." Tough kids who acted out but who were good at heart. They took this rag-tag bunch from a city off to a small community and landed in a trailer park. That was the concept from what I remember. As it went on they replaced the kids with other kids.

But at some point I suspect it became a Neighbours-like show about surfers & kids who run around on the beach alongside more typical soap fare.

But I haven't been able to watch it in a long time so I'm not certain.

• Members

Yes Chris, the script producer is essentially a headwriter role though the process is a little more collaborative.

H&A has never ever been much about the adults who are fairly dispensable. Most of the middle aged married women either die or get divorced and leave town through some conceit or another. Irene is the only one who's lasted and she hasn't had a storyline in eons. It does two things better than Neighbours as far as story is concerned - teens and over the top dramatics while Neighbours has given great storylines to older characters such as the Kennedy marriage breakup in 2004.

In the last couple of years Neighbours has tried to ape H&A with regular bombings and twins and that kind of stuff. It didn't work because it's a completely different show which is why it's having a revamp this year.

• Members

I'm not so sure... I'm still having trouble picking the one person in charge of storylines. It is a much more collaborative process in the UK, and I'd say completely different than the US one. The script producer is a person in charge of the script department, runs the meeting with the writers, hires them, fires them and so on. Sure, SP can also write storylines.

I wrote about this before, possibly somewhere in this topic. I should hit the Search button up there and find it.

Archived