DAYS: Hogan Sheffer, Kola Boof {Merged Threads}

• Members

I don't mean any disrespect to [!@#$%^&*], since I know she's a critically acclaimed writer, but how do we know she's going to be good for Days? Writing for a soap is very different from writing novels based upon your own life. I guess I'm just not sure why so many seem to feel she's going to help save Days and were so upset at the thought that she'd been fired.

I'm not invested in her either way yet and if she turns out to be a great writer, I'll fight for her along with the rest of you. I just don't get how we know that yet. Yes, the episodes have been somewhat better lately, but couldn't that also be a function of JER being out of the picture? We're still getting idiotic stories like the two quadrangles (the way the IVF/surrogate stuff is being handled is beyond ridiculous) and we're still getting total waste of time eps like tomorrow's where absolutely nothing happens to move the plot along and the episode is filled with annoying fakeout cliffhangers.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

But why does an episode or a soap opera have to be all about plot? IMO, that's what's wrong with the genre today as it is --- plot, plot, and more plot without regard to character. Yes, there needs to be some kind of plot and some movement on occaision, but I don't necessarily watch a soap just for the 2 dimensional characters being moved around like chess pieces. I watch to become involved with the characters as people. Sometimes you can't really get to know characters and become intimately involved with them if all you see is one plot point or device after another.

• Members

1) The stories are still JER's for the most-part. [!@#$%^&*] is doing some tweaking, but there were terrible stories in place she has no control over. Also, the current breakdown writers are the ones responsible for the cliffhangers and a lot of how the episodes are constructed.

2) It isn't so much [!@#$%^&*] but the fact they are hiring an outsider and getting new blood.

3) She may or may not be a great writer, but she could be just as important as a muse. Some writers are OK apart but gangbusters together.

• Administrator

I think those upset with Kola's "firing" were mostly upset about NBC not giving her a chance to work with Hogan and getting rid of someone NEW to daytime, someone who's fresh and not recycled from one soap to another.

Harding Lemay - new to daytime

Michael Malone - new to daytime

Hogan Sheffer - new to daytime

Daytime needs new blood.

• Members

Sorry, Matt, let me clarify. I don't mean to imply I think plot is more important than character. I much prefer character-driven stuff myself. When I said "move the plot" along, I really meant "move the story" along. Scenes like we got between Jack and Jennifer yesterday, for example, effected no real movement in plot but was excellent writing. The writers and the actors knocked that one out of the park. However, without getting into spoilers, what the episode does tomorrow with one of the quads is a perfect example of using pointless, repetitive dialogue to fill an hour and accomplish absolutely zero in terms of plot OR character development.

Hope that makes more sense.

• Members

For me, it's more a question of opening up the Daytime writing pool to new writers. Everywhere else on the soaps, all the writers have been around for the past 20+ years. The networks recycle the same people with their same bag of plotlines.

Hogan, love him or hate him, was a breath of fresh air when he first took over ATWT. He came in from a completely different POV and was able to look at the show with a fresh and critical eye.

KB, as a woman originally from Africa, with a background in novels, memoirs and a startling different life experience to (I assume) the average soap writer, might well bring something new and fresh to the table. Lord knows the Daytime writing community is unfeasibly low on black women writers as it is.

Plus, I read critiques of one of her books singling it out for its depth and feeling and emotive power. These are qualities that writing in Daytime could use. Hopefully Hogan and the experienced associate HWs at Days will harness and channel some of that into the show's scripts. Remember, one writer's script will go through a cycle of corrections, changes, and suggestions by their colleagues.

• Members

We don't, but we're hoping.

I am not doubting you, but I might be doubting the gossip these people told you. Last night, Hogan didn't know about it? And somehow this morning he DID find out about it and had it all turned by like 9 am Cali time in enough time to have it spread to these secretaries who told you? Hogan turned this all around this morning? Given the fact that Cali is three hours behind, this all would have to have happened by like 9 or 10 in the morning!?

I know you are hooked up, and I believe your scoops, but you did say this part was just gossip...

This is so confusing.

• Members

I freaking love Hogie's tenacity and balls. He takes no BS from anyone ever. After a year or so at ATWT Hogie was given free creative control at ATWT. There was no micromanagement from P&G at all. Then after Hogie was axed in 2005, P&G begged him to return to ATWT. They offered him sun,moon and stars and he only said he would be a script writer and that was it. I heard from rumors Hogan absolutely freaking adores [s.W.S.N.B.N.]. He wants to mold her onto daytime and make her a great writer. He sees alot of her in him when he first started at ATWT. He was brand new to daytime and Carolyn Culliton took him under his wing and helped him develop. He wants to be that type of person and develop [s.W.S.N.B.N.]. When he heard [!@#$%^&*] was going to be axed, he stormed and told NBC that if this happens he is not staying. NBC of course freaking out after they renewed this show are now giving into Hogan's demands. Ken is of course on Hogan's side and wants him to suceed. Ken hates alot of the people at NBC and there decisions. Especially after he blamed NBC for Reilly. Ken never wanted to hire Reilly back but NBC forced him and swore the ratings would skyrocket. They did for a little while and then dipped to all time lows. Ken has been a Hogan fan for awhile. Apparently he was trying to get Hogan back last August when the rumors of him going to DAYS were happening. He could not buy Reilly out or sever his deal because it was very expensive.

• Members

We only have HOGAN'S support of her and Ken Corday stealing her from Brian Frons as indicators.

But those are two pretty huge indicators, don't you think?

You also have to remember that the Producers and Network dictate a lot of what is written.

That's why Hogan left ATWT in the first place. He only came back as a Breakdown Writer.

What [!@#$%^&*] writes she inherited from JER. On top of that, she has to write within the guidelines of the Producers and the network.

There's been an enormous change, but this isn't the old days when Head Writers were given free reign.

I predict that even when Hogan arrives, he's going to be in constant battle with NBC and the Producers over what he wants to do.

Mark my words.

At daytime...our work day starts at 6 a.m.

That's PLENTY of time for Hogan to have gotten in NBC's ass and they don't want to lose him

right now.

Especially if it's true that he's under "Verbal agreement".

If you think about it, why else would the network never come out and say he's

the new HW?

It's obvious. He has the power to back out until he actually signs in August.

• Members

So somehow between 6 am and 9 am Cali time, Hogan found out, threatened to quit, Corday talked to NBC, NBC gave Corday the OK to hire her back, Corday made [!@#$%^&*] an offer, she agreed to come back, and Wyman released a statement in three hours?

I believe you and your sources and have from the getgo, but this one sounds a little weird, considering it's based on gossip, as you said, and Hogan supposedly went to bed last night with no idea.

• Members

Who said Wyman released a statement? He hasnt'.

[s.W.S.N.B.N.]'s statement to Brian ______ is all we have.

6 to 9 Cali time sounds PERFECT. Please explain why it wouldn't???

When it's 6 a.m. in Cali, it's 9 a.m. in New York.

"DAYS" begins make up and wardrobe at 5:30 a.m. so everybody is awake.

It only takes 10 minutes for Hogan Sheffer to threaten to quit and for Boof to be UN-fired.

NBC Brass can be telephone at home and waken up for something this important.

Please explain why that doesn't make sense??????

• Members

I got the WoST thing confused as a statement from Wyman.

The timeframe just does not make sense to me, personally. It's a lot to happen a short span of time.

I am going to wait for some more confirmation either by more of your sources or the mags on this one.

• Members

A LOT happened? :lol:

It only takes 10 minutes for the following to happen:

(a) [!@#$%^&*] calls Hogan on his cell phone crying. 6 a.m. Cali time/9 a.m. N.Y. time

(B) Hogan calls Anna Kastoura and says if [!@#$%^&*]'s fired, he's not coming on board. 9:03 a.m.

© Anna gets on the phone with NBC. 9:05 a.m.

© NBC says not to worry. It was a misunderstanding, she's not fired. 9:10 a.m.

THAT IS NOT A LOT! :) and it only takes 5 to 7 minutes.

TRUST ME. NBC is not about to lose Hogan Sheffer right now.

They miscalculated this "Bin Laden" thing because that's what networks

do whenever there's controversy.

Hogan, however, LIKES controversy.

Archived