Y&R: March 2024 Discussion Thread

• Members

3-5

Well, you can't say that was off-camera. lol. Seth, we hardly knew ya. Meanwhile, Jordan continues to be camp.

So far...I'm enjoying this week. Good to see Amanda again. And I was excited to see Devon and Nate play that tension that I love between the two of them. Since I love me some Nina, you know I've loved those Nina/Chance. I still miss Chance as a cop. And I definitely don't want to see him corrupted by business like Nate was. That said...I found those Nina/Chance scenes so hard to follow because...I'm sorry...CF has such beautiful eyes and I like scruff so I just be sitting here and admiring him how beautiful he was. lol. 

I also love that the writers heard me when I said we did this whole Chance storyline when Nate ALSO tried to start a music festival. lol. I so giggled when Devon said that in dialogue. 

At this point with this Chris/Danny/Phyllis story, it just feels like Danny is trying to have his cake and eat it, too. If he wants to be with the Giggly Heffa, he should go ahead and do it. I get it. He doesn't want to ruin anything with Chris when they are so close again, but that does not seem to be where his head is.

And where is Ashley? lol. Okay, I already know the answer to that. lol. 

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Had they the budget and the intention, the only direction they should have gone with Phyllis is show her doing community service and encountering some characters who might teach her a thing or two and try and redeem and reset the character.

Better than her vamping around Danny.

• Members
Posted (edited)

Yeah, I would have been down for that. I feel they could have done that even with such a low budget, but alas...anything to keep Giggly Heffa relevant. 

Edited by Taoboi

• Members

Sounds like Phyllis does one nutty thing, then her being a fixture in their story is over. LLB was pretty clear. She wants Chranny's great love to be shown, being happy, drinking champagne and sniffing roses. With Phyllis pop ups here and there Her words . So I wonder where thta leaves Phyllis ? I think her and Tucker might get together or they are bringing someone on new for her .

• Members
Posted (edited)

Colleen Zenk interview (doesn't contain any spoilers)
https://www.soapoperadigest.com/content/exclusive-colleen-zenk-on-wigging-out-as-young-and-restlesss-jordan/

Zenk: "you don’t know how far you can actually push a character like this before it tips into either comedy or parody or a clownish kind of criminal, which is the last thing I want her to be. I want Jordan to be absolutely terrifying and dangerous. As an actor, if you push a character too far and you cross that line, you lose all credibility for not only the character but for the storyline. Everybody involved is so invested in the storyline that it makes it work. And if I push Jordan too far into that parody territory, it will not work, and making her a cartoon villain has been my fear all along. If the fans are buying it, I’m okay"

In this interview, she also comments on the wigs.

Edited by janea4old

• Members

-- Those Mariah and Tessa scenes -- talking about the security at the ranch house and getting a new place -- were EXCRUCIATINGLY boring.

Does anyone think this is a storyline? Does anyone care about where they live? Does anyone believe Aria is being affected by the security guys?

-- I don't know if I want to see Phick again, but seeing Phyllis kiss Nick THISSOON after she stalked Danny is the worst. It's not a way to treat any soap character, let alone a leading lady. Just embarrassing.

-- Nikki's AA meeting (that she attended with Jack) was cringe, from the dialogue to the way it was shot with a wooden flat behind her and a tray of bagels. Also cringe was MTS' acting.

-- Eileen Davidson will always be one of my all-time favorites in daytime, but this story ain't it. Just awful.

-- The Jordan storyline went from good to cartoon. Seth was killed in front of a bar where the street is THISCLOSE to the bar and where full gas containers can be found in the alley. HUH???

I am hate watching this show. While I have many complaints about every other soap, none of them angers me the way Y&R does.

• Members

Why have Tess and Mariah pop in just for this? I knew it the moment they put Tess as Abby's day-manager at Society that we would be getting this type of blither for these two gals. Like how every day Mariah shows up to praise Tess at Society. No thanks.

Is there any chance at all that Phyllis is being dragged down to the depths of horrid storylines to give her a big comeback for her 30th anniversary this fall? Since her over-reaction to Diane coming back, she is not the Phyllis I ever knew. Why are they doing this to my gal?

I echo everything else you said. It's a daily cringefest.

• Members

3-8

I guess that was a better week. But HELL NO to Phick again. Clearly they don't know what to do with Phyllis. I'm not even sure if I want Chris to go with Danny now. That said...they would have been better off just letting Christine send Giggly Heffa to jail.

Now Ashley going off the deep end? Don't like it, but Eileen Davidson is selling it. Oh, Lord...there was only one note I didn't like (and Eileen still sold it)...the desperation when Ashley had watching Tucker and Audra together. But then again, perhaps it's good that Audra walked in. Because how TSJ was playing Tucker, his words were saying no, but his body language was not...no matter how much he made sure to keep Ashley's hands off him.

I just watch Mariah/Tessa's scenes and shake my head. 

Happy Chance and Summer finally slept together, but Kyle better not catch feelings again.

I won't miss Victoria's house. Though it does have memories of Billy Miller's Billy even time I saw it. 

I admit I hollered when Nikki put the liquor bottle out of the couch cushion. Was not expecting that. And Jack's look was priceless. 

• Members

I've come to the conclusion that YR's troubles are not only its long-term or short-term bibles, but with the breakdown and execution by production. Things got so much worse when the breakdown writers were fired.

For example, take the "Jordan pushes Seth into traffic and to his death" scene. Couldn't that have been written more realistically? And produced and directed better? The fault isn't with the plot element, but with the execution.

The OCD story isn't bad in and of itself. It's the execution --  all offscreen until we get one day with Connor visiting the psychiatrist.

Tucker is a bad boy in business. Not a bad plotline. Execution? He goes from the GCAC restaurant to his room, Then back to the restaurant. Then back to his room.

Repeat the above by inserting "Audra" in the place of "Tucker."

Alcoholic Nikki needs to attend an AA meeting. We get a scene with the camera only on her at this meeting -- because there's no set. We get one flat as a backdrop and no extras except the back of a head. Awful production.

Tessa and Mariah worry about Newman security while living at the ranch house. Production? It's all offscreen, until it's time to look for a new place to live -- so they flip through Zillow on their phone.

I can do this with every single plot on this show. None of this excuses Josh Griffith. Yes, he's come up with good plot developments, but he's also responsible for the breakdown and production.

• Members

It's incredible, most writers would kill to have both EP and HW credit, less hoops to jump through and etc. but with Josh he's failing miserably bc it seems like he can't execute his own stories yet he controls production and the day to day writing. 

• Members

Josh Griffith would have trouble writing a suicide note clearly if he had to. His continued tenure and power at this show is still mind puzzling.

CBS needs to put major pressure on Steven Kent and Sony to change something on this show and fire Griffith. They also need to take a look at and reexamine the power structure - unless you’re William J. Bell, you don’t need to be both HW and EP.