Y&R: March 2024 Discussion Thread

• Members

3-14

Well we knew it would happen @DramatistDreamer, but they killed your lovely Lily/Daniel/Heather idea.

Please register in order to view this content

Thanks to being told Christel was on maternity leave, I was actually looking forward to her coming back. IMHO, up until Lily vanished to take care of Mattie, I felt the Lily/Daniel/Heather triangle was pretty (debatedly) well-paced. Daniel and Heather finally slept together. And Devon knew. Well, everyone knew. But no one really told Lily. So there was drama to be mined when Lily walked into Daniel's apartment to surprise him. And she got surprised by 'family' time. But THAT was it? I would rather Lily did what she said she WANTED to do...namely slap Daniel AND DEVON. JG really and literally just sucked the drama right out of that triangle like THAT. I shouldn't be shocked and yet...lol. I did like the beautiful side-eye Lily was giving Heather all through the pre-break-up scenes. 

And thank God Audra/Tucker/Ashley showed up midweek. Outside of Victor vs Jordan, I guess I had been waiting on that, too. And as expected, Audra's insecurities is already showing. And wow...Audra/Sally as friends? I wouldn't mind that. And those Tucker/Ashley scenes...mmmm. I liked Tucker is getting a clue, BUT he still fell for it. Giving into the body language TSJ has been displaying as he keeps saying no to Ashley. Speaking of Ashley, her scenes with Abby was straight out of late 90s DAYS OF OUR LIVES. 

I wouldn't mind that. 

But also as expected, watching 3-15 and I'm scared they are going to throw Kyle at them again.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Oh man I just knew Tucker was eventually going to give in to Ashley. When we were stuck in that flashback loop I thought they had killed my interest and love for the story, but I’m back in. I still don’t think that argument with Tucker warranted her having a complete mental break but alas here we are.

• Members

Nah I doubt Kyle is going to get thrown at Summer again, I predict he’ll end up sleeping with Claire/Eve, Summer blow a gasket for like 90 seconds and then everything be okay and kumbaya because that’s how JG rolls

And yes, ED has been giving off 90’s Kristen vibes off the walls lately and I’m here for it, but JG’s writing can’t keep up with it.

As for CKLily, honestly what’s left for her to do at this point beside go the way of Elena? Yikes. As I mentioned above a lot of reckless ego choices CK made way back keep haunting her to no end and lately comes back with a vengeance.

Lord what a mess!!! I mentioned all the other times Ashley was seen having a break from reality like learning John wasn’t her bio dad, the abortion, learning bout Blade/Rick, baby Robert’s death, and Adam’s gaslighting but this is obnoxiously bogus ugh.

• Members

He still fighting.

Or at least using his brain. 

But this story continues to be waaaay left. And your last sentence is how I am feeling playing catch-up right now. Because am I missing something? Cuz it was just a fight in Paris...it makes no sense when Ashley has gone through much worse to have a breakdown than an argument with her husband.

You are probably right re: Kyle. Especially since I read the description for today's episode. 

Oh, God yes. The best thing about this crazy story has been Eileen Davidson and watching her selling this story through her eyes, voice inflections, body language and picking up on the naunces. Even when she's being cringe like when Ashley was in Tucker's room with Audra/Tucker saying exactly what she wanted. Cuz Ashley was the definition of desperation at that moment, but darn it if Eileen was not selling the scene though. 

Ik, ik...like the GH thread, I need to catch up

And THANK YOU!!! Watching Thursday's episode...as much as I love watching Tucker/Ashley as of late...that was my train of thought. What could have possibly happened to make Ashley break down now given everything you listed. An argument in a French restaurant just does not compare. 

• Members

I love Eileen, but this is beyond tedious and stupid. Now what, her new alter is an underage teenager ordering ginger ale with a cherry? Saying things like "Tucker is gross"? Good grief. Move it along please.

I bet they will eventually say she got some sort of whiplash/brainlash with that tiny little fender-bender rear-ending in her limo ride. If they blame this on that, I will scream.

• Members
Posted (edited)

I'll say what I said when we first learned Y&R had dispensed with all breakdown writers so Josh could do it himself: It's a recipe for a psychological meltdown. I'll never forget Harding Lemay casually mentioning in his book how he fired most/all of the staff or breakdown writers at AW after finding their work inferior and began simply writing the whole (90 minute!!) show essentially himself 5 days a week, 365 days a year. That is psychotic. As this continued on he began casually littering the pages with more and more oblique mentions of his wife and children's mental breakdowns, addictions, institutionalizations, etc. as he and his family began falling apart. Whether he fully understood the link between these things was never quite clear to me.

There have been murky stories about Griffith having personal issues BTS that I don't know too much about. What I do know is this kind of pressure is a recipe for anyone to lose it. As I told Darn the other day, so much of Y&R feels like it is plotted just to get Josh through the next week or two so he can stop writing for a few hours. Plots fast-forward (like Zenk's character debuting and almost immediately being exposed, and now doing all these disguises) or simply don't happen onscreen at all. Every week is either about standing in place or hitting a new wall story-wise. It's not sustainable for any writer IMO, and Griffith used to be truly talented long ago at OLTL.

Edited by Vee

• Members

Well put @Vee the stories are poorly plotted and paced  w/o any real long term ramifications. Just incidents that fill up a few weeks of airtime.

Josh left once before due to some unspecified issues so I can't see how taking in so much of the load is helpful to him or the show.

• Members

They’re actually putting them together as friends. I’ve been begging for that. But naturally it’s happening after they’ve done so much damage to Sally. She could have used a strong ally who wasn’t Chloe or the Newman dick she was riding.

• Members

Oh, yeah. I was shocked because I did not realize who Sally was talking to cuz I was doing task yesterday. But I looked up, saw it, and actually rewind. It just had a vibe to it even when I was not looking so I wanted to watch.

I loved seeing them bond over their similarities. Even I kinda wondered why had this not happened before now. Because they really got each other in a way that I was not expecting. Perhaps it was because Audra was actually being vulnerable. 

• Members

This is really the perfect analysis of Josh Griffith's writing and leadership at Y&R.

As long as the writing team remains this way, there's no way the show improves. We'll get one story after another having a couple riveting episodes followed by a complete thud of nothing.

• Members
Posted (edited)

And yikes, today’s 3/20 episode was just another one of those bonkers dream/fantasy episodes that JG loves to throw at us every other month. I mean it okay there have been worse dream episodes before, and I liked the Cassie inclusion but also had some saccharine weirdness to it plus this to be the big March Madness “cliffhanger”, ummmm

It really is.

And funny, that last part you wrote is exactly why I nicknamed Bradley Bell “Thudley” years ago. Perhaps I need to start calling JG “Thudley II” @YRfan23?

Edited by soapfan770

• Members

Lol it fits him nicely!!!

I have to say I’m in no way a fan of Adams but it’s starting to get annoying how every opportunity to make him not fit in with the Newman’s, is now being incorporated in these  stupid dream episodes.