YR: show gets 4 year renewal

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Good news for all those who work hard on the show.

Wonder what CBS thinking is? The show must be making money for them. Is there a set budget for the renewal or will certain goals have to be reached?

Hate to think of Josh in control for another 4 years.

• Members

Diminished ratings are still ratings and there are only so many talk shows (talk shows no longer have the type of buzz and popularity that they once had during their heydays) and game shows that they can fill up time slots with. To replace a 50+ year old show with just another game show or talk show, the backlash that would ensue…it just wouldn’t be worth it.

Now that another 4 years are slotted, it will be very interesting to see whether the execs decide that what they are doing now is adequate and they’re going to ride the wave or if they feel confident enough to attempt to make some actual changes, bearing in mind that change is not always for the better, especially the way these shows have been known to make them.

• Members

It makes me wonder how much note they're taking of whatever spurred the creative change at GH, assuming for the moment that is not all a run-up to cancellation a la Lorraine Broderick going back to AMC. (And I don't think it is for GH, but who knows.)

• Members

How, and I do mean HOW did they get this?! Because there is no way, under Josh Griffith's ultimate control, that this soap continues to earn multi-year renewals. Granted, I'm happy because it shows there is commitment to the genre and hopefully it goes well for others to continue on, but damn....

According to SON on Twitter, they are expected to receive an exercise for a one-year extension on their current deal expiring soon.

• Members

As others have stated, I’m happy to see Y&R get another multi year renewal as there was actually part of me that thought this was the Y&R might be a goner, or just get a one year renewal or get moved to Paramount+. 

But of course, does this also mean four more years of Josh Griffith?

Please register in order to view this content

Unless this renewal puts JG in a good mood and ignites a long forgotten spark, it’s wayyyy past time for JG to have left the building. 

Hoping this renewal does bring some good changes sooner than later. Not expecting miracles, but this is something positive for a show that still has so much untapped potential. 

• Members

That’s the current speculation:

https://tvline.com/news/young-and-the-restless-renewed-4-years-season-51-1235174734/

To quote:

A CBS insider tells TVLine that B&B‘s current renewal pact — which, like Y&R, expires this May — includes an additional option year. The source adds that said option will be exercised, thus cementing B&B‘s existence through the 2024-25 TV season.

Edited by soapfan770

• Members

JG was never a strong headwriter...his strength was in character driven scenes and making others creative ideas work within a soap opera format.

At the same time, who else would want the job?  Anyone that would have been good has either retired or passed away.

Still...4 more years will ensure the genre survives well into the late 2020s

• Members

GOOD. What would CBS have replaced it with, an NBC News Daily/ GMA 3 copycat? 

Local affiliate schedules are already news heavy. The crazy part is despite affiliates relying more heavily on journalists for ad revenue, TV news reporters remain some of the lowest paid degree holders while sales teams take home most of the bank.

Current executive thinking is that the audeince is isn't watching one station all day. They supposedly tune for quick hits, so it doesn't matter if a TV station schedule is all news. But I miss the days when you could keep your TV on one station for hours because there was an array of diverse and quality programming.

That being said, Y&R is in rough shape. I can't believe it's still #1. Josh Griffith needs to go.

Edited by Planet Soap