GH: O’Connor/Van Etten OUT! Mulcahey/Korte IN!

• Replies 650
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

He & Nancy Curlee are two of my favorite writers who are alive & were potentially employable as HWs. I'm delighted to see him try his hand at co-leading a team. He's got a great grip on character motivation, on backstory, on relationships, on consistency, on pace, on show politics & behind the scenes. For awhile when he was on Twitter he & talked daily. And, he was Douglas Marland's only protege. I'm very excited. 

• Members

I am jealous of General Hospital... now... I need this to happen at Bold. Maybe I should start watching GH now.

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

However it turns out (Malone II v2: Electric Boogaloo being the worst option), it cannot possibly be what we've endured for years. I'll take it.

Edited by Vee

• Members

Valentini has worked with both greats and idiots. He allegedly could barely tolerate Dena Higley but never said a word against her. As many BTS have attested, he started as Rauch's assistant at OLTL and worked his way up. He has been around a very long time. I cannot thank Frank enough for some of what he's done at OLTL and at GH, including saving the show at GH, saving Robin Scorpio from a permanent death, how he handled John Ingle's passing, and yes, the Jackie tribute too among many other things. I will always be very grateful for that and will always recognize his immense skill in keeping a show on budget and alive. I also think Frank fancied himself the last king of soaps due to early hype he and Ron got (partially from me!), took too much ownership over time of his shows, and has gotten very comfortable playing favorites, keeping a static, often staid or lifeless show running at all costs while catering mostly to his or the network's perception of elderly audiences and not challenging the viewers or themselves in any way. Frank presided over both the Kish era at OLTL (and its last overall renaissance in Ron's early tenure) and its brutal culling and replacement with a bunch of white str8 himbos, and he did that to save its ratings by catering to bigots.

But I don't think Frank has any loyalty to anything but keeping his show running and on the air. I respect that a lot, to a point. I'm not sure anyone could've kept it alive this long. I also think his creative instincts have seemingly micromanaged the show for too long since Ron got fired (and he should've been fired, that's not in dispute for me), from scene length to taste to character preference and story flow and direction. And Mulcahey is a titan. So I wonder what will happen.

Oh, dude, don't do us like that. Play charades, give us something!

Edited by Vee

• Webmaster

Nope. If they hired him, they'd definitely have a lawsuit on their hands from the WGA for replacing writers shortly after a sanctioned strike by the guild vs. studios with a fi-core writer.

Oh, I'm just saying that I'm just happy it isn't someone currently at DAYS (no offense to that show or its writers), and it's not someone brought out of retirement who would have made the show even darker, albeit that's what goes for quality these days in Netflix/streaming shows.

• Members

It’s gonna be a test on whether our favorites that we often sing praises around here for, still got it. I’ll wait and see…(FV is still there)

Thank goodness we don’t have to wait 20 years for their material to start airing (coughDAYScough)

Please register in order to view this content