GH: O’Connor/Van Etten OUT! Mulcahey/Korte IN!

• Members

It's all good news to me. Patrick Mulcahey is a GH legend. let alone a soap legend. I am floored they got him back and this will have me back. If they disappoint, well, I've been disappointed before.

Edited by Vee

• Replies 650
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dragonflies changed the title to GH: Headwriter's OUT!
  • Administrator

I don't know what story ideas he came up at B&B when he was storyline consultant.  But I do know he is arguably the best script writer in daytime history.....and I know script writing is much different than head writing.  As for Korte, she was Co-HW 20 years ago, so I think it's fair to give her a chance. Plus, remember, JFP was the EP so maybe give Korte a bit of slack?  LOL

I'm excited for better scripts as well.  You just know Patrick will be re-writing/polishing some scripts.  Patrick is really good at writing family scenes, the dynamics of a family.  I hope he rebuilds the Cassadine family (Nikolas is gone, and Spencer will probably be gone) because he wrote for them so well. 

• Members

Again, what people fail to factor in about Elizabeth Korte is that Korte has been there since 1996. She came up under the very, very, very good writers' corps from Labine and Guza I-II that was absolutely rock solid. You could've put the show on ABC at night at times in those years without disrupting primetime's pedigree. It was that good and that was because of those scripts and those actors.

Many of those writers lingered even as the show slowly got bad and then very bad in the 2000s; even in really ugly times they could still turn out really shockingly great, literate scenes all the way to 2011. Then Guza was gone, Frank came in with Ron and almost everyone remaining was purged. Except Korte.

I have a real long memory. Since I remember hearing her name in 2001 or so, Korte has been blamed online for everything imaginable on the show, especially re: Carly. But Korte has been there all along. She was, until now, maybe the last remaining writer on staff who knows what it is like to write this show for more than pure equilibrium and put it on without it being about 90 second scenes. And I don't think she's ever gotten enough credit for that. It takes more than one writer or creative or executive to make Carly the center of the show. And Carly took the rock plenty of times in those years.

As for Mulcahey, his legend speaks for itself. I am 100% back for this, however it turns out.

He also has talked about having much of his historical material for the family (as part of the Great Migration) cut. B&B is paid retirement for good writers. Brad writes that show.

• Members

Frank has been thinking about this for a while now & he made the decision last Wednesday. His decision. Not ABC or Disney stepping in. 

And, Mulcahey has been unemployed for awhile. 

He was Douglas Marland's only protege. 

He was waiting tables & writing one act plays when Bridget Dobson called him & got him to come write SB

• Members

It’s exciting. When was the last time we had a good regime change at a soap? Mal Young to Josh Griffith on Y&R? These shows have gotten so stale. Maybe it’ll inspire Y&R and DAYS to make some much-needed changes, but I doubt it. (If they do, their choices are likely to be dreadful.)

• Members

I have a very hard time believing this was Frank's idea. Frank likes a GH he can control and mold that is peppy and cheap and most of all, on the air. He's had GH all to himself for almost a decade. The attitude he (and Ron) have always had about it that I can see is 'apres moi, le deluge.'

Edited by Vee

• Members

I enjoyed a lot of their work. Last February sweeps was amazing. But it was definitely time for a change. 

Chris and Dan had a lot of pacing issues. And clearly didn’t plot long term either. Add in Frank’s interference and you had a team that ended up dethroning Ron Carlivati as the King of Propping

Please register in order to view this content

I welcome this change and I’m looking forward to seeing what Patrick Mulcahey and Liz Korte can do with GH. With any luck, they won’t let Frank interfere. 

But I also would like to see what Chris and Dan could do, out from under Frank’s thumb #PagingKenandJanet