GH: January 2024 Discussion Thread

• Members
Posted (edited)

IIRC it's been said Rena and/or Wally vetoed any onscreen romantic reunion, which I can understand. But they don't actively deal with the elephant in the room re: Ned marrying a virtual clone of his ex-wife with identical backstory who was and is her close friend, when it should be a goldmine for story. It 100% needs to be discussed and played out, even if Lois and Ned don't get back together (and while they're at it they can have Olivia tempted by Scorpio again). And Lois, a supposedly successful music tycoon, could easily set up her business back in PC again and get a new man if Rena is willing to commit to the show.

At first I thought there was no point having her around for long unless Ned and Lois could reunite, but seeing her onscreen I just find it to be such a waste of talent. She can do more. Lots of partners in UK soap supercouples have gone on to strong pairings outside of the big couple, because those shows can and will divest themselves of those when they choose to. Rena could be the same, but they have to write full, strong material. The problem is GH doesn't write robust material for virtually anyone at this point. Beyond a handful of house rules and favored actors they have no commitment to anything but marking time.

Edited by Vee

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Agreed.

I think you could easily play into Ned/Lois still having feelings but knowing they aren't compatible.  Make it a bit uncomfortable.  I can't believe Lois has 0 bad feelings about Olivia/Ned.  I believe Olivia/Lois get along because they are the same person basically.  But how would Lois feel if Brenda married Ned?  Or Lois hooked up with Sonny?  There would actual stakes there because we watched that friendship. The Olivia/Lois relationship is so surface that I can't even deal with it.

• Members

They can fire a minimum of 8-10 people and dump at least half the recurring losers tbh. And if Rena wants to stay on regular recurring like all those other schmoes we see constantly instead of contract, fine.

• Members
Posted (edited)

I'd honestly drop Nina and Maxie too, but I know they have fans.  Sasha was on my list, but I am liking her okay with Cody.  

I'd drop Mo's kid too.  I can't remember the character's name.

Edited by carolineg

• Members

If it were me, I'd keep Sofia Mattsson on but, bump her to recurring. And if it were a choice between dropping Maxie or Nina, then I'd drop Maxie. Maybe even to just recurring and having her only appear a few times per year for a year or two. My one concern with that, though, is what it could cause to happen to Kristina Wagner's Felicia.

• Members
Posted (edited)

I'd honestly have to go into the wikipedia page to keep track of all the fuckin' losers and randos still on this show I could cut lol. But for starters:

• Willow Faked Her Cancer
  • Michael (several years' break and recast!)
  • The Artist Formerly Known as Maxie (same)
  • The entire Chase family including Finn and that demon
  • Billy Joel (Valentin) and his mutant hellspawn (Charlotte)
  • Old Man Cyrus
  • Hat Man
  • Good Morning America host Cameron Mathison (might recast Drew again after a minute)
  • Test Pattern Curtis
  • You Can Tell I'm Not Willow Because They Changed My Hair (Sasha)
  • Nina (after a Cynthia Watros psycho arc with Brenda)

I'm sure I'm missing some obvious gimmes but that's a start! Diane would be banished to Horny Jail and only come out when a lawyer is needed. No more romances for Madame. I would also finally write Sam out after a not too long period.

I love when people always then ask 'oh, but where will you get more male/female characters'? Here's an idea: If characters don't work or are burnt out, write them out instead of just plugging away with the same safe faces. Add new characters!

Edited by Vee

• Members
Posted (edited)

Idk, I think Felicia would be okay.  If choosing between Maxie and Nina I would probably choose Maxie too.  I just irrationally hate Nina.  Not like I irrationally hated Gladys, but along similar lines.  Thank God that woman is gone!

Are you wanting Violet or Charlotte out?  Or both?  I think Charlotte is Valentin's spawn, but the whole story is so wacky I am unclear.

Michael is a good one.  I would definitely get rid of him and I am sorta side eyeing Joss because she's awful.

Edited by carolineg

• Members
Posted (edited)

Both! Charlotte would be de-Spencered as well on the way out. I mixed her and Violet up, they're both unwatchable.

I would make Joss into a schemer/comic relief vixen and keep her on a low-burn for awhile. I would recast eventually when it's time for her to have bigger story again. Dex would be gone. I have a few ideas on how to handle Chavez's inevitable exit, but probably not what people are expecting.

I forgot to mention Nina, I added her in above. But I would do a long psycho arc exit with her so Watros can do what she does best, with Nina losing her mind again finally over Brenda.

Edited by Vee