GH: January 2024 Discussion Thread

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
Posted (edited)

I used to be an avid booster for writing Ava off, but I think at this point in time she is fluid enough to do nearly anything. She's hit that Alex Olanov zone from OLTL. Her relationship with Nikolas started dark, turned saccharine and OOC and then went back to very dark again; that's why she still works for me. The one thing I wouldn't do is defang her or soften her up again. Ava is not a heroine, she should not have sweet bonding scenes to make us weep for her much (though you can play the pathos over Kiki, etc.) or a conventional love story. She should not be buddy-buddy with Sonny or Carly. She has an interesting, unconventional relationship with Trina that is not dissimilar to Robin's bond with the mob in her day; that is the most she gets (and you would have to show that Trina doesn't fully understand her, and is uncomfortable with the rest of her). Like Alex, she has to stay dangerous and be riding the line in a liminal space where she could get written out for her deeds at any moment. I personally feel any story of her would probably be building to a long, long trail leading to her violent exit, but I would leave it open for as long as I could.

Edited by Vee

• Members

If Guza was here he would absolutely kill Ava in a blaze of glory and the audience would suck it up. Do I think it's needed any time soon, no, but it's far from unthinkable.

• Members

Please register in order to view this content

Pulling Ava out of the mob game, via the Jerome crime family, came at the right time. And she's still a force. I'd love to see her contributing financially to General Hospital or something along those lines, even via the art gallery.

• Members

Honestly, I have never liked Ava and I assumed I was missing something with Maura West.  I probably am, but I think she overacts and Ava is a caricature of a human.  I'll run away and hide now

• Members
Posted (edited)

@DRW50 famously referred to Ava as Jim Carrey's "Fire Marshall Bill" character from In Living Color for years lol. I have never forgotten this description of Maura's outsize performances and tbqh it is at times accurate, especially in the RC years when she was trying poorly to keep secrets and kept playing to the Vegas Sphere with bug eyes and insane smiles. Ava is often campy as hell but MW also delivers genuinely great work that has real weight underneath and elevates the show, so I let a lot slide lol.

Edited by Vee

• Members

So, when you have a show like DAYS, with so much in the can, how does a "no compete" clause work for an actor? Surely it's not based on how long he is seen on the other show's screen, right? I ask for the obvious reason. 

I love Maura, Ava, Gina, ... what's wrong with you people?! And that last cut list, oy vey, y'all we do want the show to have familiarity. It's proven that soap fans do not appreciate too much of the wrong kind of change! 

• Members

That is an excellent description!  I just find her so over the top and selling to the cheap seats! You go, Maura!   It's just not my thing at all.  

And I am going to have to @Liberty City tell me how many roles Gina Tognoni can play because of this...