2023 Daytime Emmys Live Discussion Thread

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Sad to say, I haven’t even made it over to YT to watch any clips. I suppose, at sometime I will. The people producing the soaps are doing the minimum, so it’s not surprising that others stopped caring. There are things they could have done to restore some respect to the genre but no one in charge seems interested. I mentioned this the other day in the Degrassi thread, I mean, that series is getting it own docuseries, while a genre that has been around for practically fourscore decades can only manage a handful of podcasts.

• Members

Update: The reason Jacqueline MacInnes Wood thanked Kimberlin Brown is probably (?) because Kimberlin was on her reel...
In the Emmy winners interview area at the Emmys, JMW told soaphub what her reel was. Part of the reel was about Kimberlin shooting Steffy and Finn and the aftermath.  and other stuff that year. I didn't quite hear everything JMW said.

That's the first time I've seen JMW's reel mentioned.
To keep everything together, I posted that interview on page five of what has become the "reels thread"
https://boards.soapoperanetwork.com/topic/65437-daytime-emmys-to-now-air-on-december-15th/page/5

Edited by janea4old

• Members

Indeed, the SAG Memoriam is like that of BAFTA and the British Soap Awards. There is no cost to use footage because the clips are so short, so they fall under the fair use exceptions in the Copyright legislation. Instead, it's that the Academy is simply so lazy and heartless that they do nothing to honour the people who created and sustained the industry. 

I only hope Jackie Zeman, Andrea Evans, Billy Miller and all the other talented performers that died this year will be properly remembered by SAG as Jeanne Cooper, Stuart Damon, and John Aniston were. Apparently, National Academy of Television Arts & Sciences doesn't give a damn.

The country is utterly fucked. 

I thought it interesting that Susan had notes for her speech, but didn't look at them once and went off book. She went with her heart. 

What a classy person. I hope there is big success around the corner for Krista Allen. 

I love both Olivia Newton-John and Suzanne Somers...but I agree. If excluding them would have meant Jackie Zeman and Andrea Evans could have had a moment of footage in tribute, I'd have been for that. 

• Members

Time

Show

18-49 Rating

18-49 Share

Viewers (mil)

Network

8 PM WWE SmackDown 0.51 7 2.15 Fox
  Shark Tank 0.31 4 3.14 ABC
  Dolly Parton's Coat of Many Colors (R) 0.21 3 2.73 NBC
  National Christmas Tree Lighting 0.16 2 2.13 CBS
  The 91st Annual Hollywood Christmas Parade 0.06 1 0.55 The CW
9 PM 20/20 0.26 4 2.85 ABC
  The 50th Annual Daytime Emmy Awards 0.14 2 2.03 CBS
10 PM Dateline NBC 0.16 2 2.09 NBC

• Webmaster

Regarding ratings, the standard isn't to be compared to the other shows aired on other networks that night but to be compared to what else aired on the network that night or that week. Considering its lead-in, the Emmys had limited audience to work with from the start.

Despite what I said above, I'm most interested in seeing how the GH primetime special does compared to the Emmys, simply because one will get a higher anticipated audience and likely better promo while the other was slotted more last minute and had to scramble to get things together.

• Members

That guy is an idiot. I'm not sure why it was considered important to include Olivia and Suzanne. It's not like having their faces on screen for two seconds a piece would bring in extra viewers. It really just reeks of desperation to be seen as mainstream, and it's pathetic that this is still what TPTB associated with daytime choose to do. As this genre withers away, we need people to protect its legacy and legends, but we just keep getting stone-steppers working really really hard at pretending to give a damn so that they can get to the job they really want.