April 3-7, 2006

Toups

• Members

Also they have another favorite poised for a return in May from what I read here.

In contrast what does OL have on tap to bring in viewers? Nothing. At best they have discrete events which appeal to fanbases none of which seem all that pervasive. MM's wedding will appeal to the M/M fans but the show hasn't bothered to build any real story about them or why they are a couple or why a romance. The quad that will never die still tick on. Tess's baby is born but again the DID story has more than worn out its welcome with many and the Java/Tash bit is pretty hated regardless. The Spencer/Todd story seems to repell as many as it attracks. Few seem all that interested in Thomas McPain's death either the Spencer, David, Paige part or the John/Michael part. Rex and Adrianna don't seem to be the success that was hoped for and most hate the Kevin/Kelly/Duke story for it's sheer disgust factor and the character destruction.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Which once again proves that they just don't get it. The show has pretty much been stable at or around a 2.5 and 2.6 since last summer. They have to offer something to those who have rejected the John, Nat, Evangaline, Chris, J/Tess, Nash, Antonio and Todd show. That show has proven to be a 2.5 show.

• Members

Fair enough, Kirk. But normally the first time a couple makes love is an event - or at least it used to be. You usually get some kind of ratings spike. At the very least, I don't think anyone who watched really cared about Frankie's almost 20 year fantasy being fulfilled. However, I can pretty confidently say that the J&J fans tuned out and won't tune back in until Jack is back.

• Members

Indeed Steve. Which was my point. Some DAYS fans are wondering why people aren't realizing that DAYS is now a 'traditional' soap opera... but there's still an added cheese factor to DAYS that sets them apart from the rest... and therefore keeps them from being a 'traditional' soap opera. Yes, the sci-fi is gone --- thank God for that! --- but the cheese factor remains ;) haha. Cheese.

• Members

Well that little camp or cheese factor that you are talking about would keep many soaps from being traditional. OLTL gets very campy sometimes with the Margaret character. AMC does with Janet alot, and this island of pregnant women story that I have read about on the boards sounds very campy. Plus having a stolen embryo implanted into another woman is very non-traditional. Y&R even has campy moments esp this last part of the year with Sheila and from what I have seen of Gloria she can be campy at times. Even Psycho Emily and Psycho Barbara can be a little campy at times. And ATWT's big anniversary Friday show was very campy and cheesy. And from what I can remember at the height of the Sally characters personality on B&B she could even be a little campy and overact.

So all of them have it and Days has cut way back on it from what they used to have. I think they have enough of it now to set themselves apart. Days is not everyones cup of tea and I think some people watch it only to complain about it. And some people get off on complaining or bashing it. If you don't like it quit watching. I didn't like AMC anymore and I quit. I walked away. I don't constantly go into threads and bash the show and try to ruin it for everyone else - week after week. When I walked away I say stuff every now and then. I know there are some who still enjoy it and that is fine, but it is not for me.

I don't expect everyone to like Days, but I do. The show is great in my opinion. Not as great as it used to be, but it is still worthy of my viewership. And I agree with the critic who recently said there is nothing right now that makes me mad as it used to. It is good solid entertainment.

• Members

Great post Steve-I totally agree. If people don't like it they should just stop watching it not just pop into Days threads and bash it. I used to love GH but I don't go into GH threads and sit their and proclaim they will hit record lows next week or ask why people enjoy it. Hell I don;t even go into threads and wish bad ratings on any soap regardless of how much I dislike the state of the show. Just because I hate it doesn't mean others don't like it and I respect that so why can't others shwo that respect towards Days? Honestly, if you think wishing bad ratings on any soap is gonna prove any point to the networks you are wrong. They will just cancel the show in this day and age if it gets too low. That is the point we are at. The genre needs us to try to be positive so if people are enjoying the show let them. If you want to make a point and say why you dislike it that is fine but don't go after people for liking the show and don't persist in wishing record lows on a show. Its not good for that show and for other shows if people think that way. I get why those that dislike Days don't like it and that is fine for you I respect that. What I don't respect is people gloating when another show crashes and burns no matter what show it is and then sitting there and saying "so and so is gonna hit a record low" and then when that does not happen move on to question why people like it. I also love how Days gets bashed for doing things other soaps do too, or even do more of, like Steve mentioned.

Oh well I hope Days stays the same or goes up because when it does things tend to quiet down :lol: .

• Members

I never said I don't like DAYS. If I didn't like any of it, then I certainly wouldn't watch it. And since I watch it, I am also free to discuss it in any DAYS-related thread.

Neither have I about DAYS.

A person who's a fan of a show can still admit to the show's flaws or personal identity. DAYS is cheesy, "and that's a fact, John Black." In the above postings, I wasn't bashing DAYS overall. I was separating and explaining why viewers don't think of DAYS as a traditional soap opera even when DAYS is doing traditional-like stories.

Once again, I haven't wished low ratings for DAYS, nor have other DAYS fans who aren't 100% super-duper happy about the current events on the show. Not every DAYS fan or anti-DAYS fan or pro-couple fan or whatever-the-heck-you-categorize-DAYS-fans-as are wishing for low ratings.

I also haven't seen anyone going after people for liking the show. True, I mentioned last week that your repeated explanations about DAYS fans were falling on deaf ears (after all, you're not going to convince a pro-one-couple-fan to change their ways, so it's all a wasted effort).

When did this happen?

Like I and others have already said, it's the way DAYS delivers the entire package. The plot point is there, it isn't followed through like other shows. That is our explanation of our thoughts and opinions about the state of the show and the way it is written/produced, etc. It is not bashing. It is critical analysis. Just because some people critique DAYS in a way that isn't all sunshine and roses, doesn't mean it is flat-out bashing.

Sigh. "Join us again next week for another round of 'DAYS Fans Face Off And Get Absolutely Nowhere.' Weekdays on SON Daytime!"

• Members

Gray Bunny, I don't think mine or Phoenix's comments were totally directed to you. It was more of a general overview of all the posts about Days. And yes all the things that Phoenix has mentioned have happened. I have not seen you post about low ratings but there are some posters on here who can't wait for the shows ratings to drop by .1 so that they can pounce on it. And even state like this week that there is always next week for the ratings to go down.

It is sad that no other show has to endure this. And it seems no other fans of a show have to endure this.

And no I do not have a problem with fans of the show critiquing the show. I do the same to all the shows I watch. It is the fans who don't critique the show but who bash it that I have a problem with. And I have a problem with fans who sum up the whole problems of the show with two words - Jack & Jennifer. They are not the total show, and I am so tired of it being made out that they are.

So no GrayBunny all the comments weren't just about your comments but on the whole general picture each week.

• Members

Well, years ago this show was really great. And people really loved it. Now, it is really bad (for someone). So, they really hate it, yet still care about it enough to left completely. Part of the problem is DAYS now and during 80´s are like two totally different programs. And the same is true for its fans. I´m one from those fans who have loved DAYS of old and want it back. And worst ratings means bigger chance NBC actually finally understands how terrible the show is and try to do something to repair it, or atleast puts it out if its misery. So yes, I admit it, in some way I´m happy when the ratings are low, the same like you and fans of current version are happy when the ratings goes up. I have invested into this show one hour per day for more than 10 years and it completely betrayed me and destroyed everything I liked on it. So, sorry, but I have full right to be bitter about it, especially if it haven´t brought anything good to the show or its rating.

• Members

Yeah Grey Bunny my last post was not about you even though I was offended big time last week about what you said about my post. That is in the past though. My post and Steve's was directed towards the people he described in his post-the ones that seem to get off on negative Days ratings and persistently complain and try to find ways to come after fans that are enjoying the show. The J&J fans have been so bad I am almost not even a fan of that couple any more. Its like they seek to take the joy out of fans enjoying Days right now. I mean crtiqueing is fine but some of these fans are like rabid dogs when it comes to the ratings and pop in persistently in threads about Days and never have a good thing to say. Its one thing to go into a Days spoiler or discussion thread and say you don't like something and explain why but its another to pop in several times and go on and on about how "JER is making the sky fall" or "bring back Sheri Anderson and she will save us." This week when the ratings came out I thought they would back off but no they have to go after people like me and Steve who actually like the show by questioning how we can like "the crap JER serves us." That is our opinion and I respect that and they should respect ours. I have no problem with people not liking the show but what I have a problem with is people wishing the show to crash and burn for NBC to take notice and make changes. That isn't going to happen because it would have already. It will only happen if budget cuts are made and then you will get cast changes. JER is going nowhere, especially with Passions around. If Passions was ever to canned, then who knows. The times of bad ratings=changes is gone. Look at all the show's ratings and not one thing for any of the middle or lower shows in the ratings has changed. There has been no writer changes or anything. Y&R, ironically, is the only show to make a change. The networks will look into removing a show before making changes nowadays if ratings get to low so record lows are gonna do nothing but put our shows on thin ice. If you care about Days and other shows like people say you wouldn't wish record lows and bad ratings on them. I may not like GH and AMC right now but I would never do any of the things some people are doing to Days fans no matter how much I hated the state of show and wanted things to change. I would state I dislike it but would never ruin people's enjoyment of it. The soaps need ratings and help-all of them-and those that are thinking this way concerning ratings and such are not helping matters. We should all be united in trying to keep all the shows on the air we have left not wishing ill upon it because we still carry animosity towards JER, Days for keeping couples apart, or whatever. I am not saying you have to watch it or like it but karma can be a bitch and by wishing this kind of stuff on Days or any show it may be your beloved show that gets the record low or Days might reach record lows and then get canned and all those that say they care can realize what they did only made things worse.

End of rant now :lol: .

Jane the show can never be what it was. No show can. People have changed, times have changes. There isn't the same amount of money to pull off half the stuff that went on in the 80's Even the great Sheri Anderson couldn't do what you say you want because things have changed on mnay levels so much that she would feel the need to do the same thigns JER is doing to create stories because everything has been done. C&B would be different because they are more recent but we don't even know what they would do. I mean al those that feel the same as yo udon't realize that what you are asking for is something like what Higley gave us and that is when this downward trend began. Ratings lows will not help because Days and many other shows are at that point now and nothing has been done and it won't be, especially when Days is up versus last year and is putting up a good showing in demos and such. Every show today is different then it was even ten years ago but we live in a different era now then back then and that is why some Days fans need to understand that you can't replicate that. You can come close or try but it still won't even be close to most people's standards.

• Members

Well I have 30 plus years invested in the show and I have not enjoyed the show this much in quite some time. It is all a matter of opinion. You are entitled to yours and me and others are entitled to ours. Just because you don't like the show now Jane don't wish it to be cancelled because there are still many of us who enjoy it. I don't like AMC anymore and turned my back on it for many of the same reasons you have stated about Days, but I do not wish it to be cancelled and I do not get happy when its ratings drop. There are still people out there who enjoy AMC and I would not want them to lose their show.

Days will never be what it was in the 70's again (when I think it was at it's best.) and it won't be what it was in the 80's or even early 90's. The biggest reason is because Days has one of the oldest cast of characters (some actors are new but the characters have all been around) on daytime. They have all been through so much together. I love the familiarity of the characters and the family ties the show has but it does limit the type of stories that can be told. Also the show keeps these actors around that we have known and loved and the biggest part of their budget has to go to keeping all these vets on the screen. That definitely limits the type of location shoots and the amount of money they can spend on other things (probably most likely script and breakdown writers which I think is the biggest weakness of the show). I think JER's writing would be a lot better if the day to day writing were better.

Days is in a no win situation here. If they get rid of the vets they have fans will be mad because we all love them. If they backburner the vets and bring in a bunch of new characters - fans will get mad. It is great they have this vet filled cast, but it has to hurt budget wise. If Missy Reeves does leave maybe that will free up some money. Because I am sure she is paid well since she has been on so long. The majority of their cast have been there 10 or more years. If they get renewed and budgets are cut, I am sure the cast will take the biggest hit. But we have already seen when they tried to kill off some of the vets in the SSK storyline what happened. Fans were in an uproar and wrote and wrote and bitched and moaned on the boards about it.

Keeping all the vets definitely hurts them. And having all these couples who have been through so much together definitely hurts. The most obvious option is to have them break up again because we have awhile with some of them together (specifically Bo & Hope) and some have been backburnered. The couples have been through alot, and then all of them are related too. If they are not related they are good friends.

I think JER or someone will eventually have to write out some of the couples or backburner some of them completely just to keep from breaking them up again for awhile. Some will have to be given happy endings and go the way of Mickey & Maggie to the backburner or just leave town. Storyline possibilities on soaps for long-term couples are just few. Fans will get mad I'm sure but a writer will have to stand by his convictions and give us new couples, new families or new characters in order to make the show fresh again. Right now we are all just to familiar with all the couples including the youngest couple Shawn & Belle.

Many blame JER for this but I think it is us the fans who are the most to blame. Or the fan bases. We have bitched and moaned so much to keep our couples and our vets front and center. We don't want new characters and new couples - we want J/J, Jarlena, Bope, Shelle, Lumi, etc. Well we are getting stories for the couples - stories which involve them being apart and coming back together. JER cannot be faulted for not writing for anyone because right now he has something going on for every couple on the show. Right now I am enjoying the ride because it has been a long time since we have had this balance and no signs of sci fi around. I wanted the sci fi stuff gone and it is - so yes I am enjoying the show and I am not too proud to admit it.

Archived