Y&R: ATWT alum joins

• Members

Truly - when you look at what networks and streamers are spending on programming, for dwindling returns, the soaps are clearly the most durable investment. They out-rate most of their competition and are produced for less than their competition and generate content 365 days a year - only news programming can claim the same. 

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

@DRW50 and I or others have hashed this out many a time over the years, but given the recent Hallmark TV movie/series boom - even on cable instead of streaming - I would argue there is more of a place for a reinvented GL than ever with a progressive glow-up like that content (I'm not saying Hallmark movies are good or works of genius, but they occupy a specific niche and are doing so very successfully). If there's one soap that reminds me of the Hallmark branding it is GL at its best.

Sadly getting execs to consider stuff like this (let alone P&G letting go of control of their dead brands they have zero interest in) is, as you have said, Errol, an uphill climb at best. ABC didn't even make a real effort to reexamine AMC and OLTL at the height of the streaming boom, and CBS/P&G are far less likely.

Edited by Vee

• Members

i've always thought she was one of the better younger actresses on soap, and she used to hold her own really well up again MW on the regular. I was gagged GH let her go. The acting on Y&R in general is really weak, to say the least, and Hayley's been shining imo. 

• Members

They probably did since Barbara was engaged to Brian and Kirk was Brian’s little brother, not to mention the fact that Barbara’s younger sister Frannie was once the love of Kirk’s life, but we’re unlikely to see those scenes on YouTube since so much of 1984 and 1985 episodes are missing.

• Members

Maybe in ‘84 but by early ‘85, Barbara was seemingly all over town complaining to Kim and Lisa and anyone who would listen about Brian and apparently how insensitive he was. I remember that weird incident that happened before the infamous costume ball (too bad most of those episodes are not on YouTube) where Barbara and Brian had broken up for five minutes and Brian asked out his colleague at the Argus and oops, Barbara decides to accept Brian’s invitation to the ball and promptly announces that Brian asked her, right to the crestfallen colleague’s face, then proceeds to blame Brian for mishandling the situation.

I wouldn’t be surprised if in previous years, Barbara was in a bubble because James kept her pretty isolated for awhile, and even her storylines with Gunnar seemed fairly self-contained. At least with Brian, that seemed like the beginning of her world expanding. 
It just doesn’t seem like there are that many episodes with Kirk on YouTube though. Although again, Barbara and Lisa were business partners and Kirk spent a good amount of time at Lisa’s when Marcy lived with Lisa. And didn’t Marcy also work at the boutique?