Days of Our Lives: November 2023 Discussion Thread

• Members

I just thinking that due to the housing market in Salem, DAYS isn't using the traditional custody issue on soaps where one parent goes through tons of exposition about needing to establish a consistent home to show the courts that they are worthy of full custody.

I mean Sarah doesn't have a home, a job, or a good hairdresser.  And once she is hired at the hospital, where is the baby going for day care (Doug and Julie are busy raising Chad's kids, and Maggie's going to go back to Titan someday)?  It seems reasonable for a single doctor to share custody under those circumstances. 

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Has DOOL made any sort of statement about their penchant for bringing back so many (yes, even three is "so many") actors in new roles? I'm all for actors staying booked and blessed, but there is no shortage of strong out of work actors out there who are deserving of these casting opportunities.

One might argue that there's something nice and familiar about the idea of a DOOL rep company with the same actors popping in and out and in again when a role needs to be filled. For me, something that made a show like All My Children so special was the mosaic of inimitable characters who were so strongly identified with the actors who played them. I think the canvas, the memories, the emotions all get muddy when you keep playing the same actors in different roles. Particularly when the new characterizations aren't strongly deliniated. We just get different hair or a pair of glasses in a new set of circumstances.

Perhaps the identical twin soap trope isn't a fair comparison to what we're seeing on DOOL (the same faces and bodies in new roles with no real desire for much difference in execution). But when I look back on what a David Canary or a Kate Collins did, each giving their show an unforgettable new set of thumbprints, I'm just bored and unimpressed with these unnecessary casting changes on DOOL.

Edited by SFK

• Members

There's something odd about the "wink and a nod" production choices at DAYS, because it feels like the objective was to say to the audience, "we know you are smart enough to play along with this decision", but the consensus seems to be that it is alienating the fans.  I'm referencing the dual casting, camp humor, and self-referential story telling in this category.

It is like they thought we wanted to be insiders, but actually we wanted escapism (not a perfect analogy, but the best I can do on daylight savings time day).  When reading the replies, it seems independent of the quality of acting or writing (given that we've seen worse), and more about how the fans feels disrespected.  Which is ironic because we can assume that was not the intent.

That's also not my experience.  I thought the Theresa stunt was exciting, and I am intrigued daily to see what she'll do next.  I thought the Body and Soul stuff was fun, although it is always a bit illogical to think of soaps existing in their universe, when their lives are so much more dramatic.  And a shirtless hunk will always hold my interest, regardless of the character they portray or whether the actor gets preferential treatment.

Edited by j swift

• Members

Days is back to be being uploaded at 5 AM again @Soapsuds 

Please register in order to view this content

That being said, todays episode was… ehhh lol

Everett was getting on my nerves a little bit today but I don’t have a problem with that. I figured he would be like that, for the sake of the storyline. I just hope Stephanie isn’t dumbed down in the process. The way she was with Chad seemed like that might be happening. I’d rather she be written as vulnerable as opposed to just flat out stupid. If anything, she should have her guard with both guys instead of immediately becoming Everett’s greatest defender.  

Still no sympathy for Gabi and Stefan. Karma’s a bitch and they’re getting exactly what they deserve. 

And RIP Li, we’ll miss ya. There did seem to be a lot of missed opportunities with this character, especially when it came to the relationship between him and his father. I understand the reason behind Li’s death and how it’s due to story purposes. But, there are other played out characters on the canvas that can be killed off story purposes, just sayin lol. 

For Ron, you gotta add the rules

-Keep your biases out of the writing

-Don’t write propaganda 

-Don’t write anything out of spite and bitterness 

Though I admit, I probably wouldn’t follow the don’t fire anyone for six months rule

They probably just find it funny, so they don’t see any need for a statement 

Edited by AbcNbc247

• Members

See, it actually makes me feel like the show thinks we are dumb.  That we aren't going to notice or care.  That we will just go along with it because it's Days and it's campy.  It feels like the showrunners don't respect their dwindling audience at all.  Of course, it's not that serious and I doubt the show actually is trying to offend like I said earlier, but it is how it makes me feel.  EOB as Theresa is more obnoxious to me than RSW as Alex.  We have no previous blueprint for Alex, so RSW could create his own (annoying) character for the role.  I know what Theresa is supposed to be like and EOB is just miscast in that role.    I think if it was just one actor or one character I could let it slide.  But when you add that in with insulting tone deaf storylines, characters that are heavily featured that no one likes, and awful pacing you end up with a mess of a show that isn't gaining new fans and alienating it's old ones.  

• Members

@carolineg   I think you make a lotta great points here.

And, @j swift & @AbcNbc247   so do you, both. I agree that they think they are being clever. And in fact in the past they have done inside jokes that I did think were clever. Probably the best one was Jenn played by Cady no longer enjoying pancakes. I know there are other examples. 

But, Ben/Alex, I did not find it to be clever. And, Gwen/Theresa I not only find not clever but it is completely not working. Everett is so new I am reserving judgment but so far, so good. The gross misuse of the child actor to create a pretend child abuse scenario, well, I'll quote Marlena, "Reprehensible!" Meanwhile we had two impromptu weddings & each was in its own way "weird". I am annoyed by Elvis Junior DiMera instead of Elvis John! Sloan Mia Sera Peterson is supposed to be a clever reference to FERRIS BUELLER & it just fell flat. If you look on Peacock now both BEYOND SALEMs & the Christmas Show, gone. The Sept. 12th anniversary of DAYS joining Peacock came & went with absolutely no notice made. We're about to have the Nov. 8th anniversary & the only thing Corday could think to do was play piano. Can someone check & see if Salem is burning? How many days did we have Marlena & Kate sitting at the pub ... gossiping? And, where the hell is John? Speaking of John, he finally found his father & the next week he put him in Assisted Living!! It is like we know these people like the back of our hands, but the way they're behaving, we don't recognize them!

I like Holly, Tate, Marlena, I think that's it! No, I like the Chad/Stephanie dilemma, so that's two more. 

• Members

The lack of John has been frustrating lately especially with the Brady/Rachel stuff.  Eric gets married in John's home and he's not there lol.  John just exists on the other side of a phone for Marlena.  I know there are guarantees and all, but Kate and Marlena pop up every episode.  Give Drake some love here.

I am reserving my judgement on Blake Berris and Everett too because I have always enjoyed BB and really do think he got a raw deal as Nick.  I just wish there was a way to make him Nick again or even Nick's long lost twin.  Not this tongue and cheek-you look familiar stuff.

• Members

I still get annoyed when Billy Flynn (Chad) lets a smirk out while saying his lines. It looks like he's trying desperately hard to stay in character. 

I hate that. Which is why by comparison, the original possession storyline was lightyears better than the campy, cheesy garbage they gave us 2 years ago. DAYS was over the top in the mid 90's, but they played it 100% straight (not referring to sexual orientation in this case) and serious.  Now, everything is so cheeky, wink-wink nudge-nudge. It's like a dollar store ripoff of Desperate Housewives. 

• Members

I want to rise to speak to the issue of good smirks & bad smirks. Bad smirks are inappropriate smiles & that's Remington & Billy Flynn & Chandler Massey, to name a few. 

Good smirks are saracastic & as serious as can be & Tamara Braun & Maura West have those smirks down to a tee!