YR spoiler from Zuleyka

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Her comments remind me of Chris Engen. I seem to recall ED pretty much said in response that when an actor is given that kind of spotlight/major story, they need to grab it and make the best of it because it's not always there. I thought her comments were really insightful because she'd obviously been through many ups and downs through her career.

The harsh reality is that shocking and scandalous is par for the course for all dramatic series - daytime and primetime.

• Members

I have to disagree to some extent but Chris Engen was correct IMO and the character of Adam has never recovered. 

Josh Griffith himself has gone too far on characters going overboard unnecessarily before. Remember what happened to Chase on Days? Afterward the actor who played Chase complained about it and some folks on this board trashed the actor for his disgust and not JG for making a once sweet character an irredeemable rapist. 

So I have a bad feeling about this now and Audra will probably be gone by year’s end. 

• Members

These writers lack patience, which I’m sure is dictated by the network bosses who feel like audiences are less patient now than they were when fewer choices made viewers more of a “captive audience.” There’s some truth to that, but not to the extent that they’re making it out to be.

But the way they burn through story would suggest that they have lots of great ideas waiting. And we’ve seen that they don’t. Let’s get more mileage out of what works.

When they find a character like Audra, a low-key, not-psychotic troublemaker the show has needed for years, they would do well by letting her simmer for a while instead of taking her immediately up to a boil. Flesh her out, give her some depth and backstory, and if you want to push her further, make it earned. 

Don’t immediately go for psycho, then have to walk it back if she gains a following (which is why we have so many damaged, broken characters on these shows with little story potential). Or have to kill her off because she’s irredeemable or they need yet another boring murder mystery to try to jolt the ratings, when she could drive story for years.

Edited by Faulkner

• Members

@soapfan770 What I didn't include was that actors have the right to express their discomfort. I absolutely agreed with CE because there was no need to make Adam so awful. I only mentioned ED's comments because as someone who'd been in the industry for 3 decades at that time, she had an interesting point.

ZS has been a breath of fresh air on the show. Audra has a lot of potential with her already existing ties. It sounds like she's merely going to be collateral damage for Skyle.

• Members

@Faulkner Spot on.

Look at Ashland. The character had potential to be a long term antagonist. A troubled marriage to Victoria, business manipulations, grudge against Kyle/the Abbotts, troublesome ex wife who may have a few tricks up her sleeve etc Instead they rushed through his story and he was out the door and forgotten.

• Members

There has always been network and executive pressures for storylines to be told in a certain manner but the soap writers of yesteryear differ from today’s soap writers in that the soap writers of previous generations were more confident in their abilities and more certain of where their stories were going, therefore they pushed back and could defend the direction of their stories. I don’t get that same sense from the likes of JG most of his colleagues in daytime soaps.