Soaps That Were Good at Comedy?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Santa Barbara, of course, since it was those crazy Dobsons. They had some of the genre’s best comedic actors in Nicolas Coster (R.I.P.), Lane Davies, Robin Mattson, Louise Sorel, Justin Deas, et al, who could handle the screwball pace and also enliven some of the more womp-womp material. 

AMC had some incredibly funny characters like Dorothy Lyman’s Opal, Phoebe, Erica, the list goes on…

• Members

Y&R is not the first soap to come to mind regarding humor, but when it did it, it did it extremely well. Jill, Katherine, and Esther could and were very often laugh-out-loud funny. The one-liners, Katherine barking at Esther, Esther's health-craze kicks. Truly funny stuff when they wanted it to be.

Edited by YRBB

• Members

Another World in the mid 80s - Felicia, Cass, Wallingford, Cecile, Lily, Kathleen.  They could move from drama to comedy seamlessly.  Also, Tony the Tuna and Dee.

General Hospital 80s-90sThe Quartermaine's.  Especially when David Lewis was playing Edward.  

Santa Barbara 1984-88: The Lockridges, Gina & Keith, Julia and Mason - intelligent, quirky humour.  After the Dobsons left the humour was dumbed down.

Edited by Efulton

• Members

Soaps, to me, have always done better with funny lines as opposed to funny characters. I never find comedic characters or set pieces very funny.

I'd take several root canals over watching Susan on Days do literally anything. Roxy on OLTL was a colorful break from life and death stakes of everything else but every time she got her own story I was most annoyed than amused.

I like characters who clever and humorous like Lucinda or Erica or Kay or Michael Baldwin. The humor for me usually comes from the sharp-tongued characters, not the "funny" ones.

• Members

Y&R and B&B had great subtle humor which works for the type of shows they are, but to me Passions is always gonna be more of a soap opera “Dramedy” more then any other show, besides Days which is up their with the “Dramedy” aspect imo. 

• Members

AW: Samuel D. Ratcliffe was supposedly the writer of most of he Cass-Felicia-Wally high jinks although I think Gary Tomlin did some of that writing, too. Also Iris's maid Vivian was a comedic character played by Getchen Oer, I think that was her name. Plus there was a comedic device where all the plants had names out of Greek mythology. 

A big "ditto" to Santa Barbara where Mason's alters were played for laughs instead of serious issue drama. And the drag queen!