New families that took off and families that didn’t

• Members

After reading some comments about the amount of families Guiding Light introduced between 1977-1987, it made me think about   a who’s who of new families that successfully were integrated into the show. On the flip side, I can easily think of the number of families that arrived into a show’s town already DOA. 

Some successful new families I can think of include:

ATWT: Snyders, Carly/Rosanna/Molly/Gwen

AW: Love/Hudson

B&B: Spectras

Days: Bradys, Reeds/Roberts

GL: Spauldings, Lewises

Y&R: Abbotts, Barber/Winters

Unsuccessful families include:

ATWT: Kasnoffs (except for Mike)

B&B: Ramirez family

Days: Scofield family

GL: Santos family 

Y&R: Rayburn family, Rosales 

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Are the ATWT McCalls considered successful or unsuccessful? Nobody hated them (except perhaps the father), but they were gone within a few years.

Y&R really tried it with the new families in the early 80s, but only the Abbotts sticked around. Was the Williams family a success? Steve left really soon, Patty stayed for a few years, Todd never showed up and Carl vanished. 

B&B also tried it with the Marrones, but I wouldn't call them a success. Then there was a time where Lorenzo Lamas and Sydney Penny showed up as a new family unit. Linda Gray was part of the mix.

• Members

Y&R

Success- Prentiss family - Vanessa, Lance and Lucas and Leslie/Lorie as in laws.

Flop- Bill Bell tried with the Stevens-April, Dorothy and Wayne and then  twin sister Barbara but then quickly dumped them all.

SFT

Kendalls -flop? Lloyd, Steve, Michael, Estelle,Chase, Alec,TR

So many recasts, story changes meant that family never really took off. They were never on the canvas at the same time.

AW Holloways -flop Taylor,Miranda,Amy, Rick,Kit .The show dropped many more familiar and long running characters to focus on this clan but they were soon dropped.

• Members

The Williams family kinda "morphed" into the Detective Agency Family.  

In one of his reviews during the 1980s, John Kelly Genovese remarked (wisely) that Y&R had basically three structural components -- the Jabot/Abbott storyline, the Victor/Nikki/Kevin/Kay storyline, and the Young Detectives storyline (which was comprised of Paul, Andy, Amy, Jazz, and Kong).  Paul Williams still had parents of course, and he still had a sister until about 1984, but his storyline was most often centered around his "work crew" with Andy, Amy, Jazz, Tyrone, and Nathan.  

• Members

Days: The Johnson Family was successful. Steve and Adrienne - and Jack, tied to them as a biological Billy Johnson but raised by a corrupt wealthy politician in Harper Deveraux.

The Reeds reminded me of a bargain-basement version of the Johnsons: Lucas, the child of wealth/privilege, despising his half siblings (for a long time) in Austin/Billie. Kate losing Austin/Billie just as Jo gave up Steve/Billy (Jack).

And Earl Johnson and Curtis Reed terrorized their wives and sexually molested their daughters.

Edited by Wendy