Days: January 2023 Discussion Thread

• Members

Cassandra on AMC 2.0 had one in 2013 after having been raped by human traffickers, without paying any price. It was a very clear example of Agnes Nixon and co. sending a message, punctuated by Debbi Morgan as Angie doing direct address to the camera about 'men in power' trying to supercede a woman's right to choose (this was back during the renewed right wing push against abortion and the whole Todd Akin/'legitimate rape' flap). A number of women on soaps have had safe abortions - it's just the last 20 years or so of daytime that have avoided the topic more and more due to the regressive sociopolitical climate, and instead opted for 'of course this rape victim/lesbian/young gay man will have and raise this baby'.

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I wish I had Harold's job. You know, sit on my ass all day while I let EJ make a Denver or Santa Fe omelet served with grilled potatoes, sliced tomatoes, with a little sprig of fresh rosemary. Better yet, I'll just let anyone in and tell the uninvited guests to barge into anyone's bedroom if they wish (which they do anyway). Oh, yeah. And then I'll probably hear the doorbell ring, and Johnny, Stacy, or EJ will say something like, "Don't worry, Harold! I got it!" And then I'll be on my tablet streaming something on Paramount + and go, "Huh? What? Oh, go ahead. I wasn't going to anyway." 

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

I was certain with all of the talk of murdering Kristen, Brady would find her dead by the end of the episode (and later it would be revealed that Rachel accidentally pushed her over when she tried to keep her from packing her Marlena doll for their trip - lol).

But, once again, what does this arrest mean if the DA is corrupt and the prison commutes the sentences of all of Salem's criminals?

• Members

Jamey tweeted that he was the outline writer (breakdown writer) for today.  I was surprised because it wasn't camp at all today.  I guess Jamey just wrote the bare outline this time and that's all?

Richard Culliton wrote today's script.

The writing /acting/ directing today was really good. It was the first episode I've liked in a very very very long time.

Edited by janea4old

• Members

I am obviously a sucker for any Marlena/John life in peril plot and I enjoyed it a lot, but in all fairness it wasn't that good of an episode.  It's not any different than any other "Marlena's about to die and her family rallies around her" episode.  The performances were good (especially Martha), but I wonder if Drake, Martha, Eric, Greg, etc get tired of reciting the same dialogue and crying over Marlena's bedside especially Drake/Martha who don't do much else.  Perhaps if the stakes were higher or I believed Marlena was actually dying it would have resonated with me more.  As a standalone episode it was definitely way above average, but it's nothing we haven't seen before or like once a year.  Not to be a downer though lol. 

• Members

I know.  It's was almost impossible for me to type out, but she did a good job with the material.  If you saw the whole shoot the bride stuff from 2018 it was all very similar (minus the part about Belle wanting to pull the plug on her mom-she actually wants her to live this time).

Edited by carolineg

• Members

To be honest. I never pay any attention to background music, so I don't remember, and I watched it twice today.

I simply liked the references to history in the dialog and that most of the emotions were realistic.

I found Martha believable today.  Her own mother in real life died last year, so I think Martha pulled from that well.

• Members

See, Jamey. Not every episode has to be written like a big (unfunny) joke or a ripoff of The Real Housewives. Big shout out to Richard Culliton too.

I enjoyed today a lot. The scenes were well written and the acting was on point. It was nice to see everyone come together, get out of their little story bubbles and band together for Marlena. And I really enjoyed people sharing scenes with people that they don’t usually have scenes with, especially Brady and Allie.