DAYS: November 2022 Discussion Thread ⌛

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Melinda Fee passed away, but there have been several Mary's and it appears Barbara Stanger is still alive and is probably the most notable Mary.  It would make no sense to bring her back but she could hang out with Chris Kositcheck/ Roman

Edited by carolineg

• Members

Paulina calling Leo Mary is a double reference. Mary is slang for a gay man (even Oprah talked about how her gay hair and makeup men called EVERYONE Mary, male and female). And of course the second reference is 227 where Jackée practically trademarked her pronunciation of the name Mary. So Jamey or whomever struck Giddens gold with such a reference and I don't see the writers giving it up easily.

• Members

Remember how AW used to try to differentiate twins Marley and Victoria by having one sister wear bangs?  Or how Capitol visualized that it was Jenny and not Julie because one wore her hair in a tight bun and the other wore relaxed curls?

Is DAYS trying to indicate that RSW is Alex and not Ben due to the fact that his hair is brushed forward rather than flipped up?  Because I'm going to need a better written character rather than hair and accessories before I accept Alex as a different person.  They both still inexplicably speak with a thick mid-Atlantic accent, they both unnecessarily squint, and neither seems particularly bright or ambitious.  The glasses are not enough.

• Members

I agree that the glasses aren't enough. Still, I blame Ron and the writers for this. I know RSW has a lot of detractors around here, but he checks a lot of boxes for a soap actor. If the writing was good for him -- differentiating Alex from Ben -- I think he has enough acting skill to make the character work.

I remember Marley and Victoria on AW very well, and yes, the acting was superb. So was the WRITING for each twin. There was no mistaking who was who. If you read the dialogue in a script, you'd know immediately which character said what line.

• Members

It's really hard to know what RC is going for with Alex.  They clearly want to differentiate him from Ben, but we aren't supposed to notice he looks like Ben.  So why not just let RSW look like Ben or himself?  Silly hair and glasses haven't blinded me to the fact it's RSW playing a different character

Please register in order to view this content

, but he also isn't Ben's twin so I don't know how much the show needed to differentiate them.  Because we just aren't supposed to notice.  You are already testing the audience's intelligence with an actor playing a completely unrelated character, so why even bother?

Honestly, Ciara should have stayed dead until VK or a recast decided to come back and Ben could basically have the same storyline Alex does.  Except maybe without the threesome. 

I agree with @ranger1rg.  RSW does check a lot of boxes as a soap hunk.  He's good looking and charismatic. He isn't that bad.  This character is just a miss and when your previous character was a literal serial killer-that's an achievement.